Tell Me What You Had For Lunch Today

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I just wonder if all that roasting and peeling is necessary. When I use poblanos in a sauce or dish, I just chop them up like a bell pepper and they soften with cooking. They have good flavor regardless.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It says the idea was to give the chilis a smokey flavor. I didn't really notice any smokey flavor. Sometimes they complicate things more to be pretentious than to add flavor.

I'd ask in the comments section (Serious Eats), but I already commented that the recipe says "1 stalk celery, cut into 3-inch segments, divided" when it's only used to simmer with the soaked chickpeas and then it's discarded. It's not the first time I've asked an awkward (but polite) question there, such as "This article says to always blah-blah-blah when cooking with this ingredient, but here are 2 recipes on your site where you did the opposite."

The other 3 comments gushed over this recipe. I'll never get invited back...

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I learned my lesson about "foodie" forums/websites years ago. So many self-appointed "experts" on nothing, and what a bunch of wasted time, effort, and expense for the "right" ingredients and tools. I finally realized that I know best what we will like and that's the way I cook. If I want to put in Cream of Mushroom, then so be it. Taste and use of one's time is totally subjective.

I have mentioned before that I was a recipe tester for Cook's Illustrated and it was an exercise in futility. They'd assign a recipe (but the cost of the ingredients was my problem) and expect certain reporting about each "phase." What a crock. I got tired of wasting my time and money on crap we never wanted to eat.

So now if I see a recipe I want to try, I read it carefully for bullshit instructions and time-wasters. I know how to cook.

Hedi Mitchell and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

Yeh, there are so many pretentious recipes out there just so the author can toss in some exotic ingredient for no apparent benefit. I was going through a recent "recommended recipes" email from AllRecipes (the email that caused my to buy those au gratin dishes and ramekins) and there were a couple of recipes that looked good but had some weird ingredients I just wasn't gonna bother with. I already have a bottle of sherry vinegar, a jar of Calabrian Peppers, and a smattering of other stuff I'll never use that really did nothing for the only dish I bought them for. I basically paid for "Yeh, I've cooked with that" bragging rights.

I just recalled another site where I ticked the guy off by asking a process question regarding his sous vide "experiments," and I could feel the huffiness come across the screen. "Why would you do that when I've got all this data???" I had to laugh. You should be thankful anyone bothers to read your stuff in the first place. I took myself off of his email list.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Lunch today was from Taco Hell - Nacho bell grande and a taco. SO had the same. We are both paying for it now...

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Run for the border, baby.

[​IMG]

That's one of those places I'll get a hankering for maybe every year or two.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Greek Chicken Pasta Salad Bowtie Pasta, Cherry Yomatos,Red Onion,Cucumber, Feta Cheese,Kalamata Olives,Wine Vinaigrette

GREEK CHICKEN SALAD.jpg

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i had a bologna and salami sandwich..pickles and tomatoes on the side..ha!

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. John Brunner

-Kentucky Legend turkey on a ciabatta roll with mayo, bacon and smoked provolone.
    -Crisps

Teresa Levitt and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  10. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

italian-panini-fb.jpg BOTINI SALAD.jpg They make a delicious Italian Panini here at Oakmont and that ia what I will have along with a Botini Pasta Salad.

Teresa Levitt and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

About every 4-6 weeks I'll do fast food...burger & fries from McDonalds or Burger King. It takes that long for me to remember what it's like. Today I had a McDonald's burger (one of the small ones you could slide under a closed door), a McChicken sandwich and a medium fry. It lay in my belly like an anchor all afternoon.

I guess I got a date for Burger King around August 15.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's what McDonald's burgers do to me, too. I don't mind the fries though, although they were better before the saturated fat stuff.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Different type of lunch today. Grape tomatoe, avocado, green onion, celery, cucumber, a bit of squash, a bit of lettuce..makes the salad. Add some garlic croutons.and dressing. Side of very lightly fried zucchini. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm having pizza and salad.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am still getting to mine. I got started looking for something in the back room, then have been going through and weeding out stuff we have not used, or forgotten we even had.
    I was going to sauté some cabbage and mushroom with noodles; but now it is hot weather; so I might change that to salad and a fresh peach or even watermelon instead.

Marci Miller likes this.