Tell Us About Your Fishing

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Faye Fox, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I hit the Susky yesterday for the first time this year. Water was at about 5 ft. according to the downstream gauge, clarity was good and water temp was in the mid fifty's. Pictured was the second one caught and then they shut off. It should be pre-spawn now so things should be picking up.

upload_2022-5-2_13-38-57.jpeg

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Haven't fished in a while. Hubby fished when his brother came down April. Didn't catch anything.

3. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We used to go camping when we were kids, we'd go course fishing in a lake near where we camped, I remember catching a tiny roach and stroking it (•‿•)

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never cared for fishing at all and don't like eating fish, either. My dad loved to fish and hunt, and I found this picture of him and my oldest son, Brian. This was taken on a pond on my dad's land in Georgia many years ago. A fisherman can easily see that the "catch" was assisted by grandpa.

IMG_E3358.JPG

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

From state park lake.
    upload_2022-6-15_8-24-44.jpeg

Snapping turtle at 5X zoom.
    upload_2022-6-15_8-25-51.jpeg

Susquehanna River.
    upload_2022-6-15_8-27-47.jpeg

River sojourn at 5X zoom.
    upload_2022-6-15_8-28-36.jpeg

Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marlin fishing on a charter off Fort Lauderdale. The captain had a small dog stationed un on his pilot deck. This dog was trained to watch for fish headed for the trolling bait and to bark alerting the fishers they were about to get a strike.

7. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

The only time I ever fished was in about 1957 when my older brothers took me with them to a pond that a local farmer had dug to water his cattle. It was loaded with little bluegills that were maybe 3 or 4 inches long. You could catch one every couple of minutes. That got boring pretty quickly (I was 10 or so) and I never tried fishing again.

Although I haven't had it for years, I do recall enjoying grilled swordfish with a nice glass of white wine...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have our licenses and rods/reels all ready, but since my wife is still working Monday thru Friday, and the weekends are just too packed with people/boats for us, not sure when we'll get out on the local lake to fish for some Rainbows. Hopefully more than once, but "once" is all we got out last year. Didn't catch a thing, probably because we were fishing at 3PM, instead of 9AM like we use to.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Oldest son got off the river last night with 42 salmon. Fishing wasn't bad, but it apparently was heel getting the canoe and the fish off the river, as the water was so high from the recent rainy spell. Second son was out there too, but he only got 14. It was the second day of the personal use dipnet fishery near us. I think the old folks will get a few of those, but hopefully the will be cleaned. Cleaning large catches of fish is a real chore. Everyone who does it has a facility of some sort. Ours was down on the creek but was totally demolished by an angry moose some years ago.

Hoot Crawford and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good evening to all-
    My first memories are of water and fishing, and if I die with a fishing rod in my hand, I'll go happy.
    Where ever I am, I find a way to go fishing. I build my own fishing rods, make my own flies and lures, and I cook the fish I catch- if I want to.
    Of all the things I've done in my life, the two things I have the most happiness and benefit from is learning to fish and then teaching my kids how to fish.
    that's enough.

you all have a good evening- Ed

11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

As the old saying goes "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day........teach a man to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his days."

In my experience, the saying should be "Teach a man to fish and he'll forget to eat."

Don Alaska likes this.