That Pink Clock Radio And Other Random Memories

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Beth Gallagher, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Returning to the OP, I never had a clock radio although I had several hundred if not over a thousand AM and shortwave radios in my time. The only ones I have kept are AM transistor radios that fit into my decor. Photos were taken this morning. I fell off the chair I was standing on after taking the two transistors on the shelf. Luckily I have padded carpet in that room so the only thing bruised is my youthful spunk.
    IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1237.JPG

2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

They say that when you're dying you're life rolls in front of you like a fast forward film I know this is true because it happened to me when I almost drowned as a kid. Lately a similar thing is happening but at a slower pace seems like I'm remembering things I haven't even thought about.
    I went to a Catholic Elementary School, the Nuns were tough, today they probably would be considered abusive, but I loved talking to them about religion. By the time I was about 11 years old I thought I had the calling to be a priest I felt a connection. I spent a lot of time in the church saying the Stations of the Cross or the Rosary, praying, talking to priests. Having a young naive mind, I saw the world and it's people as good and in harmony. Was positive my prayers were being heard, sometimes I felt they were even being answered, maybe mind over matter I don't know.
    Over the course of 8 years that I went to Catholic Elementary School I collected from the nuns an assortment of items that I just can't remember what I did with. What happened to them? I had a few statues of saints they were only about an inch long, and we're in a brass container, so you could keep them in your pocket they wouldn't get damaged. I had a couple of relics I just can't remember what they were of, they were in sealed clear containers. There were parchment type paper with religious expressions. These were forgotten items until now??

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I mentioned to my wife last night about the items from my childhood she responded I have a couple of them, apparently she had them in her jewelry box that she pulled out of the house the day after the fire. Photo below:
    20230308_095318.jpg

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My first clock radio was a Mickey Mouse clock radio, and I remember having a Cinderella Watch, probably about the same time. Later, when I was early teenage, Mom got me a portable transistor radio, which did AM and FM, and the handle turned to become the antenna. I really liked that radio and carried it around the house and yard, and when we took the car and went to Spokane.

74D9730A-54E6-493A-B8E4-E42573918EF5.jpeg

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I see that my previous post with the picture of the famous pink radio has disappeared. (I probably hot-linked a photo that has been moved so the link is broken.) But anyway, here's the picture of the GE. The "flapper" style knob on the left of the clock face is a mechanical timer. I could set it to play for an hour when I went to bed. :D)

pink GE radio.jpg

6. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As a kid, I remember getting excited at one of these:

[​IMG]

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I had one little hand-held transistor radio. All I remember, it was blue. Never could get any good reception with it.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Did anyone else belong to the Slide Rule Club? Met the third Thursday after school in Mr. Hunt's classroom... where the giant 6' slide rule was mounted on the wall. Disbanded due to Texas Instruments. :oops:

upload_2023-5-7_21-54-38.png

Mary Stetler, Faye Fox and Tony Page like this.
  9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a few slide rules in my day but I do remember a special one made by Cleveland Institute which was a home study course that had your standard slide rule on one side, and electronic slide rule on the other. It's been a long time since I used it but I do remember it being capable of figuring out inductance and capacitance.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I still have my Cleveland Electronics slide rule and also my fathers scientific circular rule that he used working for the government pre NASA to program the early computers that calculated missile flights. I have a few other slide rules around here somewhere with my favorite being the pocket one I carried for quick calculation when working at AM broadcast radio stations.

Beth Gallagher and Tony Page like this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hah. I see that I'm not the only nerd here. Did y'all have the leather case for your slide rule?? :D:D

Mary Stetler, Tony Page and Faye Fox like this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Damn tootin girl! All of them including my dads.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I remember one of them being a Pickett, there was another I can't remember the company name I also had a cardboard one for practice issued by one of the schools.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher Are you nerdy enough to use all the functions on this slide rule? I learned a few functions but that was it. This rule was my dads and the best rule available for scientist during the 1950s and early 60s. He used it for calculating early missile flights and programing the early government computers. He later used it to verify the math of the other scientist on the moon flights. Two sides loaded with math beyond my comprehension.
    dad sr fnt.jpg dad sli bck.jpg

Here is my handy little rule I used when working as a broadcast engineer. I didn't need it often but it was a timesaver when needed. I got it from Lafayette radio and it was made in Japan.
    laf sli fnt.jpg

Here is my first calculator I ordered from some Childs latest gadget magazine to
    expedite my math homework and also modernize my egg business bookkeeping.
    Calcu.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    Beth Gallagher and Tony Page like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

No way. :D I'm impressed that you still have those.

Faye Fox likes this.