That Pink Clock Radio And Other Random Memories

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Beth Gallagher, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Beautiful story. I love it. I also had a pair of cap pistols and a red hat with the chin string on it for my adventures when I was little. My grandpa gave me my mother's old Radio Flyer that I used for years for play. Later my mom reclaimed it as a garden cart.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Given the character of those who are in power, I don't think our culture is being destroyed...it's more like Assisted Suicide.

Tony Page likes this.
  3. John Brunner

Plastic never dies. Heck, it looks like the color never even fades.

I don't want to take this too far afield, but Beth mentioned the "beyond repair" rusted handle. Well, you can repair it. You just gotta live with "functionality":

Wagon handle.jpg

Ain't nuthin' a piece of conduit and a coupler can't fix. It would steer nicer if I knew how to weld.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, my handle failed at the tongue; rusted in two.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Welding is something I always wanted to try. Guess there's some things there's no time for.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Let's talk about our bikes... I know you had one (or two). When I was about 6 or 7, I got a 26" maroon colored Schwinn. Yes, 26" for a little kid. My parents had that "you'll grow into it" mentality so I had to ride standing up for quite a while. My bike had a metal basket mounted in front of the handlebars, which carried lots of school books over the elementary years.

I've always been a voracious reader; so was everyone in my immediate family. Every summer when school was out, the local elementary school library was open and I'd ride the ole' Schwinn down to the library and fill up that basket with books. Now that I think about it, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to rig a way to tow the Radio Flyer.

7. John Brunner

Same here. But that's one left in the bucket list that I'm not gonna mourn too much.

Tony Page likes this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to dream of the day I get a bike, my friends all had one. I was the last 1 in the group to get one, I can understand my parents holding off cuz I was a klutz. Brooklyn was not the safest place to ride the bike. My father was training me to ride on the sidewalk, I just miss pushing a man down into a cellar through the open Cellar Doors. After about 2 weeks I really had the hang of it my parents will let me ride in the Street, I decided to visit a school friend about eight blocks away. He examined my bike I think he was more excited than me, he said get on I'll take you for a ride and we were gliding along when my sneaker got into spokes causing the bike to flip straight up and over. I was on the ground oh, my friend was on top of me, the bike on top of him. The Klutz strikes again, front wheel was bent, I had to walk this wobbly bike home.
    Don't know if you have ever saw it there are photos online, the bike I really love was the Hopalong Cassidy bike. It had a saddle for a seat I believe it had a hoster for a rifle, it was a kid's dream.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. John Brunner

My first bike was one I think got brought back from overseas. It was a small German bike that was only one speed but had hand brakes (as opposed to putting back-pressure on the pedals.) I wish I had an idea who the manufacturer was. It was soon giving to a younger brother and I inherited my older brother's large Schwinn bike much as you spoke of, @Beth Gallagher. (I couldn't have been older than 7, because we left that home when I had just turned 9.) I had to pull up to the side of the hill in front of our house and half-lay it on its side to mount/dismount because it had the "boy bar" across the top I was too short to get over. I'm not certain my feet touched the pedals during the entire revolution. It was very much like this model (although I don't recall the light), with the horn button on the tank in from of the Schwinn logo.

[​IMG]

Heck, that $49.95 is $440 in today's dollars!!!

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I never had a new bicycle as a child, but neither did most anyone else I spent time with and the ones my uncle put together from parts worked great, so I didn't feel deprived.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

@John Brunner My Schwinn looked similar to that but without the boy bar. It had the coaster brake and I can remember getting going pretty fast, then using my arms to help boost myself up and onto the seat. I could coast along until it began to slow down, then I'd have to slide off the seat and back onto the pedals.

Tony Page, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

The next wave of bicycle style to go through were the multiple-speed ones with the high rise handlebars and the banana seat.

[​IMG]

It was more fun with one of these:

[​IMG]

Can you imagine a kid today being happy with something like that?

Tony Page likes this.
  13. John Brunner

Yeh, it always had that "balancing on a unicycle" feel to it.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Welding --- I learned to arc weld when I was 10. It fascinated me for some reason. I was in my junior year when they started allowing girls in metal shop, so I signed up and learned to braze and use an acetylene cutting torch. I already knew how to solder but learned silver soldering.

Bikes --- I didn't have a bike until I was 10. It was a used girls' 24" balloon tire. It was a scuffed-up dirty white, so I took it apart under my grandpa's watchful eye and repainted it a rosy pink. I recovered the seat and bought new pedals with blocks and stirrups and was given a shiny handlebar that worked better for me. I could reach the pedals with the blocks, but I was 12 before it was comfortable sitting down and I became a daredevil. Iodine and bandages decorated my legs and arms more than once. The worst crash I had was in Texas on my great uncle's ranch at age 13. I was riding a cousin 26" and lost control going downhill and crashed in wild blackberry bushes. Jean shorts and a tank top offer little protection in such a senerio.. That was my only bike until I was in my 30's and mountain bikes became popular.

At 14 I was given a 90cc trail bike that I used to round up cattle, get out to the equipment in the field, or go down the road to friends to play guitar or go horseback riding.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  15. John Brunner

I had a Lil' Indian minibike when I was about 14, but all my friends had the larger-wheeled multi-speed Rupps.

Tony Page likes this.