The Absolute Frustration Of Living With Chronic Acid Indigestion

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Trevalius Guyus, May 14, 2022.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

It still comes in handy if for some reason I eat too late and do NOT want to be woken up at 2 a.m. with that awful feeling in my 'sophagus ;) I had to find a way better pillow case though than the cover it came with, too rough feeling so found one that fits it perfect on amazon ;)

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Waking up with heartburn is no fun for sure. If the heartburn doesn't get you the running to the kitchen might.

3. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL, wow, it's like we were separated at birth Marie ;) If I have to do that, I will go for some baking soda ;) and definitely get out my wedgie :D:p I've tried getting up in the dark for whatever reason, so I can maybe stay asleep, LOL!! My neighbor fell off her toilet though so I do'ne wanna do that!

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

New Development:

So, I went to see an ENT, on Thursday, to scope my throat, to see if I have any damage from stomach acid coming back up. I had not actively felt like that was going on, but, since I have a little warmth in my chest, I still wanted to check things out in my throat, first.

The doctor was cool, asked me about allergies I have, and then turned me on to a UK version of Gaviscon Advance that he said is the best OTC to treat excess stomach acid situations. BIG problem, though: This OTC (in UK) contains excipients that contain sulphur which I'm hyper-allergic to. The guy should have known better, since that's right on my patient info sheet. Good thing I did, by checking it out, online, before getting it from Amazon.

I will not be defeated! I just ordered the two, separate, active ingredients, food grade, from Amazon. Now, I'll become my own compounding pharmacist! Armed with the relative amounts of each one (5:1), I'll be able to make up my own suspension. Yay!

FWIW: Excipients are the bs things that Big Pharma, both OTC and prescription houses, throw into their active ingredients because of sweetheart deals with various suppliers. Rest assured they can always justify their inclusions, though.

Yeah, right. I'm sure the TASTE of Shingles and Measles vaccines are very important. I mean, you just have to include MSG (a food enhancing additive that's come on hard times because of the natural foods movement) in both of those vaccines, right? Oh wait, the MSG acts in a way to stabilize those injectables? Really? Too bad I can never get either one, because I'm deathly allergic to MSG. Past doctors have told me to get them both, even though they knew of my MSG allergy. Yep, they did NOT know about the MSG. I had to research it, myself, and then school them!

BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE! Big Medical Practice, Big Pharma, Big Hospital . . . they all just might kill you, someday, if you're not on guard when dealing with them!

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

Gaviscon, that's the one I used back when I first experienced the AR. A neighbor told me about it. Wow, if you're allergic to sulpher you sure couldn't do any MSM. Sounds like you pretty, well informed about your bod, good job ;)

6. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Gaviscon Advance is not available in the US, normally. You have to order it from abroad. Are you in the UK?

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had heard that too many antacids would mess up our Ph, but did not think about it causing us to produce ore acid in response...I always heard of it causing problems with electrical impulses not firing, which could be fatal.

That's interesting advice to add more acid to our diets, because the vinegar I take has been helping, but there is nothing on the web from any doctor that affirms its effectiveness. They might say "It can't hurt," but they'll never say "There's a reason it may help."

Denise Evans and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

I've found a lot on "gut health", solve other issues by starting with "gut health". First time I heard people writing about your gut I kind of laughed but doctors use the term as well. Here's one bit of info, and it's the same type I've followed because it's worked to stop AR, arthritis pain in hands, and has helped even my allergies.

It's not the "easy" road to follow in America with our big pharma, pill-pushers and grocery-isles packed with all the "nutritious" processed, foods, but it's been so worth it, believe it or not.

https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2017/05/keeping-your-gut-check

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

I think it's safe to say that Conventional medicine doesn't include many hours of training on diet and exercise. I don't recall any doctor even asking me what I eat, or how much exercise do I get. I believe this needs to at least be asked even if a patient would rather have a prescription. It's a choice a patient should have but like for me, my insurance doesn't cover alternative medicines (naturopath is who I'd like to be able to see).

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Two things:

1-I love the government putting out this article, when the government's Food Pyramid has been promoting the exact opposite diet. It's not a Food Pyramid, it's a visual representation of which lobbyist has the deepest pockets.

2-Every time I look at the recommended amount of daily fiber, and I try to cobble together a menu to even come close, I find it impossible. Men should get almost 40 grams of fiber a day. I don't see how one can do that. There are lists of high-fiber foods, but I defy anyone to put together a complete daily menu for a week or a month that meets these goals.

One thing that makes me particularly frustrated on this subject is I have had nearly every doctor say "eat whole wheat pasta" as their sole fiber advice. I really want to smack them. I'm angry now just thinking about it. "Gee, Doc, that's an extra 3-4 grams of fiber in a food I may eat once a week. 4 grams down, 276 grams to go, huh?" My gastroenterologist is not happy when I point out that it's not even picking at the fringes, yet it's his sole & exclusive advice. None of them put together that menu I described because it's so difficult. I have yet to walk out of any doctor's office--much less the gastroenterologist--with a basic meal plan or recommendation. All those years of berating, and they won't even make the effort.

*sigh* Thanks for listening.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Trevalius Guyus and Denise Evans like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

Hi John, with this info, remember I am a low-carb eater so that has some things to do with me pretty much getting all I need from my foods. I do eat lots of Baby Spinach, brussel sprouts and broccoli (broccoli is my fave) but there are plenty other cruciforous vegies, as well as others that are safe in for lower, carb eaters like me. I'm diabetic and that why I went low-carb when I was diagnosed 15 months ago ;)

Also, I love using at least a tsp of my chia seeds, and flaxseed every day. I sprinkle both over different foods. I don't notice them smelling weird or tasting even, I just know what all they have in them so I use them. Chia seeds soak up moisture so I only put them in my yogurt, or eggs so far. Also in my chocolate "fat-bombs" I can eat safely as there are only a teenie bit of carbs in those. I can't tell you how much of anything to eat, but this article might help. Also, tons of videos on youtube for "getting enough fiber for men and women". I have zero issues so things are moving right along :D

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/the-6-best-seeds-to-eat/

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

I've commented before that I went meatless for about 6 months when I was first diagnosed with high cholesterol. I pounded my numbers down pretty low pretty quickly. It took a while to get used to eating foods that were not calorie-dense...being full and feeling bloated are not the same thing, but it takes a while to adapt. Adapting back was not easy, either. Think of a beginner smoker coughing up those first few puffs...you just gotta force it back down. ;)

I have chia and flax seed, and put them on my morning cereal...when I remember to. Our conversation has me looking at this subject again. I love all the veggies you mention. I used to keep a bag full of raw broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, carrots, celery, radishes (red and white), etc in the fridge with various dips. I really need to make some changes.

Denise Evans likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

I eat meat and fish too, as much fish as I can find wildcaught. I'm so glad to see someone else that eats, and likes the same food choices. I eat a lot of what I believe to be healthy fats like Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, nuts, some dairy as well. I buy fatty chicken and beef cuts, if I can't get them I will buy any I can get ;) As far as cholesterol, I don't worry about the total, I just divide my Triglyceride by my HDL and if it's below .2 I believe that's fine.

There's a good book I have, may have mentioned here before, but I agree with the author, and it's called "The Big Fat Lie". I wouldn't have ever believed it until I made sure I was getting the healthy fats I needed for Keto which is basically turning your body into a fat-burner instead of it just burning up carbs/sugars. It's why I lost 23 lbs of ugly fat, and got my T2 Diabetic numbers down into the safe zone. It took about a month to really start kickin in but 15 months later, I doubt I'll ever go back to "too many carbs" because that was the problem for me, too many simple-carbs.

In case anyone reading wonders how much I eat, I eat 1400 to 1700 calories a day. I also walk and use stretch bands for weight resistance. Just easy, breezy stuff for me ;)

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Well after over a year of no heartburn last night was really bad for me. Finally got to sleep after about 3am .

15. Denise Evans

Registered

bummer girlfriend :( What and when did you eat, and were you using your wedgie?? That's so awful when it happens for sure, maybe you can catch a nap today.