The Advantages Of Confidence

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Hate to say this, Bobby, but whatever I reply to is a "huge mistake" to you.

We have a friend that is a Degreed Engineer and retired from it. Him, and his family are much better than we are or ever have been. We're not jealous of him, but............

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You missed the whole point Cody. Read the post again, and again if necessary.
    I DID NOT in any way indicate that having a degree wasn’t a good thing but merely responded to your idea that since someone is a degreed individual, that made them automatically better.

And DO NOTE: Someone may be better off than you but that doesn’t mean they are better people.

Now, did you come back just to start arguments this morning? There are many times when I have agreed with you and have often defended you so what’s with that first sentence? It’s totally out of line and you know it!! Just more drama.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    Mary Robi, Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, guess it's time to leave again???? Seems like nobody on this forum wants to get along with me anymore!

Funny, but that co-worker ended up agreeing with me.

You don't think there is anyone better than you?

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I was the head mistress of the Mary Stetler Fetal Position School of Riding. Falling is still not my favorite thing to do. ;)
    Gotta love a good packer! I had a couple of really good horses explain things to me about weight as language.
    In human interactions, I can portray confidence. Sometimes people realize I am full of sh*t:rolleyes:

Bobby Cole, Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I had confidence in my Red Roan and he took me to the Pay Window at a few rodeos.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Again, you didn’t read my post.
    There are many better at what they do than I. There are many people who are better educated than I. There are many people who might be of a better character than I and many who are better at patience. There are better built bodybuilders, better theologians, better and smarter people than I,
    more honest than I and financially better off but………

I am the best person I can be at this time which is all I wish to be.

I trust myself better than anyone else. I rely on myself more than anyone else. I know myself better than anyone else. I am more comfortable with myself than anyone else and I’m the only one who can accurately critique my motivations, my inclinations, my talents,etc.

Since no one on this earth has experienced the exact same things as I have throughout my life, there is none better who can glean from those experiences in order to be a better person than I am.
    MOREOVER, there are many who have and would still want to use MY life experiences to financially better themselves.

In short, the only person who can better myself is ….myself of which there can be no better person to complete such a task.
    There is none better at doing that than I. ….. None.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was a chief shop steward, I never felt that the plant manager or personnel manager were superior to me. We did have a couple of plant managers who were bright, but that was a reflection of intelligence, not education. Some of the others were also well-educated but not so bright. Some of them weren't even smart enough to realize that they were being played. It takes some of the enjoyment out of it when someone doesn't even know they're being made fun of. Plant managers were like the managers of a professional baseball team; one bad season and they were gone. I even used that with one on our plant managers who was making promises that he was unwilling to put in writing, telling him that I wasn't doubting his word but simply looking at the likelihood that he wouldn't be here six months from now.

We had the same personnel manager the whole time I was at Hoerner-Waldorf/Champion Paper, and he was as dumb as a rock. Although I'm sure he came with a college degree or so, he couldn't even spell or use the language correctly. In one of the notices he put up on the bulletin board, he ended it with "We appricate your corporation." Shortly afterward, I used that line in a notice I put on the union bulletin board.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

All good points and I think confidence has nothing to do with IQ, school degrees, awards won, etc., but is more about self-esteem. If we feel inferior or superior to another, either can lead to a lack of confidence or a false sense of confidence.

Different folks gain confidence in various ways, experience, training, and even faith. An example is the story of the 7th Day Adventist guy in WW2 that saved numerous lives by running into enemy fire and carrying back the wounded. He had confidence that he could do this because God wanted him to.

9. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Mary. How interesting! I am referring to the words "who need to take control to save the herd." I wish horses could vote in our midterms because our country needs saving.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. John Houlihan

Registered

Hi Faye, I read a story once about a poor down-and-out guy who goes to a carnival fortune teller. She tells him he will become very wealthy. He is very suggestible and this gives him huge confidence.

Ten years later, he has become very wealthy. He hears that the same carnival is back in town, He goes to see the fortune teller and describes his great success. She says, “Honey, I am glad to hear that but I tell many of my customers that they will become very wealthy.”

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The smartest person at a crap table isn’t the guy who has the highest education or is the most experienced with rolling the dice.
    The smartest person at the crap table owns the table.

12. John Houlihan

Registered

This is a great post! Thanks.

Bobby Cole likes this.