The Bible

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Most agree cross reference is the best way to at least get an idea. One verse will always be referenced to in other books of the Bible.
    I studied the Bible for decades while kids were in school and still do today now and then. I use to checked out hundreds of books from library to study the times on geography and middle east culture but still don't know much. I use to have a desire to know the truth till I relized nobody will ever know the whole truth. God said our minds couldn't handle all of the truth anyway.
    How much time and study have you put into it Faye?
    Some of it is complicated and we will never know the answers and then some of it is plain. Of course there is also that in the middle.
    I get a little here and there from many Bible scholars then see if their interpretations make sense to me.

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother studied the Bible every day and I studied it with her and went to a small country church with her three times a week until I left home. Once on my own and after I moved to the mountains and was snowed in weeks at a time, I bought and borrowed every translation available. I also had piles of writing and books by Bible scholars and writing by other than Christians. I was also blessed to grow up with oral tradition passed down from great grandparents that were American Indian on both sides of my family. While they had become Christians of protestant persuasion, they still had writings about "vision quest" that involved fasting and prayer (meditation rather than vocal).

I used that information to embark on my personal vision quest where many questions were answered. Even since that time, I know what is right for me and that is how I live. It differs from my mothers, fathers, and grandparents, and any organized church or belief. I don't read the Bible much anymore as most of it I can recall and looking up different versions and interpretations on the internet is easy. How many hours, I have no idea. I do know I have read the old and new testaments completely at least twice and a third time making notes as I read it. Also books like the Dead Sea Scrolls, Book of Marytars, The Keys to Revelations, etc. Some of the Koran and other eastern writing. I also listened to Brother Al, a Pentecostal preacher, on XERF on my homemade radio almost every night before Wolfman Jack came on. I never bought one of his prayer cloths but did learn about the evil in a bottle of whiskey.

I am far from a Bible scholar and in no way would advise anyone to pattern their life after mine. What I believe is true for me and I am happy that all that study is behind me and I don't spend my last years worried about finding the truth as it applies to my life. One important thing I learned is truth and fact are different things as it applies to spiritual matters.

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

So basically your knowledge comes from word of mouth? I never used family tradition to study the Bible but then I guess it is easier that way
    . Also maybe if you read more and listened less you'd know that even the Bible says after a hard day strong drink is good for the belly, now I;d have to look that up for you too as I didn't memorize the whole Bible.
    Up till now I have ignored your little quips here and there but they seem to be never ending. Got something on your mind or if I said something to offend you say it stop beating around the bush let it all hang out.:p

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

So basically your knowledge comes from word of mouth? Did you not read my post? I made it clear what my study consisted of, which was years of reading and making notes as well as some oral. The oral is a small part of it. Also personal experience. There are several on this forum that knows the Bible much better than I do, and you may be one, but I feel I am entitled to my personal interpetations.

No intended personal quips and no you haven't said anything to offend me. I do have a sarcastic sense of humor, but in this case, you asked a question and I answered it. The Brother Al thing was just my sense of humor. If you ever listened to Brother Al you would understand. He died an alcoholic and never delivered a sermon he didn't mention the evils of drinking. Sorry about any offense.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Apology accepted. I too find myself apologizing more so than ever before. I was staying out of politics and religion for past several months guess it was a good idea to continue to do so,huh?

Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Spin, spin, spin your wheels,

Incessantly in the sand......

Merrily merrily merrily we slide on,

Thinking life is grand!

Frank

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think you missed this part...

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Faye it's me who needs to apologize not you.Speaking of interpretations I miss interpreted this whole thread it seems.:oops:
    I just took time to read the whole thread and realized I was wrong and you did nothing to apologize for.

Ken Anderson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Amen to that Marie.. and by that I mean it works great for me on here, otherwise your screwed.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This is, in my opinion, the absolutely best explanation.

Joseph Carl and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Joanna Newton

Registered

But on issues as you described 'minor issue' or 'things of a trivial nature,' why 'judge' at all, what's the purpose?

12. Joanna Newton

Registered

If I can link off your post here- while I do believe your interpretation (second paragraph) is accurate, it seems the word/topic is another modernism that falls into the category as a long-ago sci-fi writer said (paraphrased) if you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use those words. Going to a dictionary definition, "judge" as a verb ranges from forming/having an opinion to expressing an opinion to criticizing and standing in judgment. Too often, when people use that word, though, they're not clear about which definition they mean.

In recent years I've seen another out-of-context quote from the Bible often misused. As a totally nutty example, a defense attorney could not claim her client did not do what she was accused of doing- caused the death of her young grandchild- so the attorney addressed the jury by saying they could not convict the woman because 'only you who is without sin may cast the first stone.'

I've also seen numerous websites where Christians are told to not serve on juries because of those two related quotes.