The Cost Of Basic Food

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Julia Curtis, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I buy the same things when I go to the grocery store and I always look at the discount shelf where they have 50% off things because each month I have a certain amount for a food budget and I noticed yesterday when I got home and looked over my receipts for the last year how much less I can buy.Being on Canada Pension Disability does cover everything but now I find myself just paying for things and not getting any lil things I love because everything is so high here.I used to reward myself with things like a new handweights or a new pair of yoga pants for the gym but now it's all gone.When I turn 65 next year I will be a lil better off because I will have the(forgive me for saying this)Old Age Pension but since COVID got here a few years back life has no reward or lil things I love.It's not fair.
    I'm used to being in a low income bracket but now it's discouraging cause I love my lil rewards.
    That's my lil complaint and normally I do not complain but I miss the lil rewards and I had to get that out.Thanks for listening.:rolleyes:

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Over here you can get food at food pantries. Do you have one there? Oe some sort of agency like the food stamp program here? It is harder for many people, but there may be ways to get help you have not heard about .

Vada Bloom likes this.
  3. Julia Curtis

Registered

The Salvation Army has their own veggie garden and if you register(and I did),for $15 you get a grocery bag full to the top of fresh veggies once per month.The fee is for the up keep of the garden and they have a hot house so in winter you can still get some fresh things.I did try the food bank but I found that it was a lot of filler things like whatever things out of the bakery that the stores couldn't sell.Nothing fresh.And I never buy meat because it's not at all in my budget but I do eat fish and lentils as protein.I am always chasing protein because I need it when I go to the gym.So I do try,it's just the way it is.

4. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Julia, your post has made me realize that I’ve heard very little about inflation in Canada. It’s a big topic in the US and the prices for food are what seems to have gone up the most and hurt people here the most. I see comments about it in various online forums every day and of course I see it myself in my own food purchases.

I think most food pantries here only give out shelf stable, canned, dried, etc. foods too but there are some that have some fresh items. I hope you can find one like that where you are.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  5. Julia Curtis

Registered

Just the Salvation Army here but it's a fair price and it all comes from their garden.I was brought up eating stuff from my parents garden and I stick to that because I love it all.:).

6. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Fresh produce is the best for us! :)

Tony Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Here we have rummage sales around the neighborhoods--and thrift shops. I think when I was younger, I had a bumper sticker that warned: I stop for rummage sales!
    Lots of little things and sometimes big things too.;)
    If they don't have them there, maybe you could start them up.:cool:

Vada Bloom and Tony Page like this.
  8. Julia Curtis

Registered

I.ve never heard of those being for things other than clothes,furniture and other household things here.I guess differant countries offer differant combinations.Not really a many people person for a bussiness.I did have one when I was married but it was out of my home and it was a baking bussiness.:)

9. Julia Curtis

Registered

I miss that.

10. Mary Stetler

Registered

Rummage sales are not businesses here. Too much red tape. But lots of people get rid of all sorts of things. I bought an almost new Total Gym at one after my daughter wore mine out.
    One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Vada Bloom, Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  11. Julia Curtis

Registered

Oh OK I know what you mean now.Here they are Yard Sales or Garage Sales.:)

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We call them yard sales and garage sales here, too. "Rummage Sale" is a term used by old people legacy generations. ;)

Vada Bloom, Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Registered

Oh shut up, you young whippersnapper.

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Are French fries basic food? We just paid almost $10 for a five-pound bag of fries. Three years ago they were about $5.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ever since they stopped putting the price on individual packages, I've not really retained how much things cost. But I happen to recall that a can of ALDI brand refrigerated biscuit dough was 69¢ s couple of years ago when I first started shopping there. Now it's $1.69, almost 2.5x what it used to cost. Their bags of coffee beans are up 50%. At one point they were double the price. But inflation's only 5%, right?

Vada Bloom and Mary Stetler like this.