The Cost Of Basic Food

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Julia Curtis, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I understand they have the lowest "over spot" charges.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Is it Walmart selling or it it vendors on their marketplace? I'm too lazy to go look.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's a variety of vendors. I wish they sold it through the stores. Walmart's credit card Merchant Code for the physical stores is "Bakery," meaning everything purchased at the store receives your credit card's Grocery rebate (mine is 4%.) That's a pretty good discount on gold, all other things being equal.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

You can't eat gold and if push comes to shove, no one is going to trade food for gold. Having food for a few months is a good idea, but keep it to yourself or the Gestapo will come rap tapping on your door. Go wait in the soup line and act hungry.

One thing that is scary about buying food at places like Safeway or Costco or online, is the government can see how much food you have bought.

Yes, food is outrageous. thanks to the traditors currently in control, but at least we can still buy it. Things can get worse, just ask anyone that survived the great depression.

I am thinking of growing some Mary Jane this coming spring and using it to trade for food. I think it is a budding idea.

Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

When I bought a car in 2019, I went to my bank to see what kind of financing they offer. During that meeting, they hooked me up with a Cash Back card. I was 65 years old at the time and had always paid cash for everything (except for the occasional internet purchase.) Getting that card caused me to do a 180° turn, and now nearly everything I buy (or at least everywhere I buy stuff) is documented on my bank card statements. Friggin' Walmart ties your in-store purchases to your online account if you use the same credit card for both. I've sold my privacy for a pocket full of silver.

And I agree that gold-for-food during a crisis ain't gonna happen. If I could get someone to give me food or ammo in exchange for gold, I would do it. But I'm not gonna advertise that I have a surplus of stores to sell just to put some shiny metal in my pocket.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I believe there will be people trading food for gold and silver, but these will be the few who already have more than enough of both, and who are willing to wait it out to a time when gold and silver will be valuable again. But, if you're starving for food, they'll know it and you won't get a very good deal on your gold and silver. The very rich will get richer, as they did during the Depression.

Don Alaska, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I think this time around, gold and silver will be worthless as a barter currency, because the wealthy have no use for it. They already have stock piles of it and now are trying to sell it to us for outrageous prices. Precious metals will always have a use and demand in medical, but as currency, I think it better as John said to stock pile some food and lots of ammo. Guns will be a better barter than gold.

In any case, if they want me dead, nothing I can really do about it. They tried to kill us old folks off with Covid virus, so be assured they will get us by one way or another. Seniors are a burden to their agenda, even the anti American seniors.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

And in electronics.