The Education System Is Making Kids Stupid

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Martin Alonzo, Nov 2, 2019.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was talking to a woman last night who has 3 children here in rural Virginia. Two of them are still in school. The county allows kids (K-12) who "identify as" critters to actually dress up as cats/dogs/whatever and be that persona in school. They eat without using their hands, shoving their faces in whatever the cafeteria serves up that day. They are referred to by the other kids as "Furries." On the flip side, if a kid wears shredded jeans he or she bought off the rack stylized that way, they get sent home for violating the Dress Code.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  2. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

John Brunner,

Ignorance is taking its toll. I imagine the the other kids' parents are furiously protesting.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  3. John Brunner

I told her that had this been allowed when I was in high school, I would have carried a rolled-up newspaper with me into class and swatted at them as they sat at their desks. "Bad dog! Bad dog! Get down!! You know you're not allowed up on the furniture!" Then I would have argued with the teacher over the situational reality. Go ahead...take me to the principle's office. We can have a rational conversation.

Of course, the cat-kids would have been a different problem. Perhaps I'd start a Spay & Neuter program and see where their values really lay.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I hope they have a stock of litter boxes and pee pads for them.

5. John Brunner

Michelle (the waitress) said that the Assistant Principal there stands way at the end of the parking lot as the kids arrive in the morning (via bus or via parent.) He's all by himself in the out-of-doors, a hunnert feet away from the nearest homo sapien, wearing a mask. Perhaps his mask dilutes the small of all those litter boxes.

Of course, this Furries issue raises yet another opportunity. Students should bring in their own pets. If you can't burst the bubble of the "Identifies As" crowd, then are you gonna differentiate between them and "real"cats & dogs? All are welcome!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK. Now I am in trouble and it is YOUR fault! I told a teacher friend about this and she said it starts in the home! It is not the school board's or teachers' place to fix this it is the PARENTS. Of course she's right but there have been cases in a family I know where the kid turned the parents in for abuse for discipline. Not for beating him, as I would have done in my day, but for taking his phone or computer privileges away.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

All of our systems seem to be broken...at least some number of each of them are broken.

A functional judicial system would keep this under control...parents cannot demand that their child be allowed to "identify as a cat." If that were the case, then guess what you're gonna have for lunch in the cafeteria? And you don't get to attend sporting events or school plays or any other human activity.

The schools enforce Dress Codes. I bet they would push back on a parent who said "My daughter is not gonna refer to Johnny as Fido." So much of this is by choice.

I'm sorry for getting you in trouble. ;)

8. Silvia Benoit

Registered

John,

I, on the other hand, would have allowed them to act as they wanted.........Mother Nature has a way to fix things for good.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Yeh, it's the disruptive effect I would have taken issue with.

10. Mary Stetler

Registered

PS I have NEVER beaten any human. I could tell some interesting discipline stories though. My kids knew when they could ignore me and when they had best not.

11. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Once Mother Nature fixes things the disruptive effect is not longer a problem. LOL

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

The University of Waterloo’s Faculty of Environment (in Canada) is looking “to fill a Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Tier 2 Canada Research Chair and tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor” to “address the underrepresentation of individuals from equity deserving groups among our Canada Research Chairs.” The tenure-track position at a Canadian university is only available to individuals who self-identify as “women, transgender, non-binary, or two-spirit” people, according to a job bulletin.

Link

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Registered

Two spirit? is that like multiple personalities?

14. Mary Stetler

Registered

Just read the link and if the people are self identified, white men can still apply saying they are whatever the heck they want.

15. John Brunner

"Woke" people refer to "two-spirited" as being a Native American thing, while the fact is that some tribes are and some are not. But you know how those who fight bigotry love to stereotype...it just makes things easier.

From one of that article's comments: “Traditionally, Native American two-spirit people were male, female, and sometimes intersexed individuals who combined activities of both men and women with traits unique to their status as two-spirit people.

Unsurprisingly, there is no agree-upon definition of "intersexed." I guess if you look both ways, you can enter the the intersexion.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.