The Education System Is Making Kids Stupid

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Martin Alonzo, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

While I can see how that might seem to make sense, the result could be even worse than it is now, given that the most populated places in the country would set the standard across the board, and I think we'd do a lot better without New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago setting the pace. As it is the federal government controls far too much of it due to federal funding, but if the federal government and states weren't taking that money from the taxpayers, local governments would be able to fund school systems locally, with local control, as it should be. The further apart the control is from those served, the worse they are served, given that those who are (parents) have little or nothing to say about it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I do agree with you and when I thought Washington was going to get rid of the Department of Education, I was all for it because that would mean that each state would be responsible for its own citizens.
    Sadly, that isn’t the case hence the premise of my last post.
    What’s even sadder is that the Government can hold the financing of school lunch programs like the sword of Damocles over the heads of state leadership.

3. Ken Anderson

Reagan ran on a platform of getting rid of the DOE as well, but it got bigger under his presidency.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don’t think Civics is even taught any more. Richard Dreyfus has established an organization with one of the stated goals to bring Civics back into class rooms. He says this is a HUGE problem because kids are not equipped to develop into leaders. Here’s his site.

https://thedreyfussinitiative.org/a...ll the vast potential of American citizenship.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I have to admit that I didn’t like Civics because at the time, I saw no use for it and it was basically a bird course.
    It wasn’t until a couple of years after I left the military that some of those values taught in Civics became important especially in the arena of politics and our government.
    As it was, Civics was a foundation and little did I realize at the time that I would eventually and intentionally add to that foundation so I wouldn’t stand ignorant about social and governmental interactions and realities.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't imagine an actor wanting much to do with Constitutional law but I guess it's possible.,

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

There are actually quite a few celebrities coming out against the known values that most of Hollywood sports. My favorite is Gary Sinese (Lt. Dan) and his very open support of vets.
    Others are declaring Christ and still others are coming out against abortion and “wokeness” so we’re seeing a small change in the way some Celebrities are portrayed.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Registered

Tucker Carlson was pretty surprised too. Check out this short video. Tucker is interviewing one guest about Obama trying to pull a fast one (that’s the first minute and half) and apparently Dreyfus saw it and wrote to him, that he wanted to come on the show and say something about it. Dreyfus is dead on in what he says.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks like it is also making some adults stupider. NAACP now pretesting the whole state of Florida.
    Kids learn from their elders too, not just in schools. Lots of money in victimhood but also lots of misery. It takes away the self-esteem and lowers their moral.

10. Ken Anderson

I just heard today that it's official that the IQ levels in the United States have declined considerably in the past couple of decades.

11. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Ken, of all meaningless numbers in our world, IQ scores have to be right at the top. These numbers are results from tests which are dependent on a person's upbringing and social background as much as anything. The tests given to gain an IQ score really don't measure an individual's intelligence very well at all. Many truly brilliant people score quite badly on most standardized IQ tests.
    And how do I know this? I was trained to administer, score, and interpret the most commonly given IQ tests, and I know what they do and do not measure.

And IQ scores don't measure what a particular kid has learned in her/his schooling much at all.

IQ scores are really of not much value at all.

you all have a good day- Ed

12. Thomas Windom

Registered

I don’t have much faith in I.Q. tests, mainly because I have consistently scored between 138-142 throughout most of my life. However, I have a terrible problem with certain subjects and can’t believe it’s compatible with a high I.Q. Having said that, when we’ve been measuring something for decades and it shows a decline, that’s not a good sign. Also, there are plenty of other indicators having nothing to do with I.Q. Here in good old Baltimore, we have 23 schools where not a single student, not one, could handle math at their level.
    https://dailycaller.com/2023/02/10/...ions-for-math-in-23-baltimore-schools-report/
    …or this
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fifty-five-schools-in-chicago-say-students-can-t-do-math-or-read-at-grade-level/ar-AA17O13J#:~:text=A new report from Wirepoints says that dozens,do math or reading at their grade level.

Maybe schools are not making us more stupid but I strongly believe they are failing too frequently to provide a remedy to ignorance, and they are especially failing at preparing students to function as valuable and productive members of society.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  13. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good morning to all-
    I'd be very interested to see the information on the schools with not a single student who was reading on grade level. that would make for a very good graduate student research project. thanks
    you all be safe and keep well- Ed

14. Thomas Windom

Registered

?????
    Not sure what you’re looking for. You don’t believe the links I provided?

Even the Baltimore Sun admitted it.
    https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinio...0230309-iux6httmn5c2vdhdh2wmokugxm-story.html

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  15. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good morning to all-

Thomas- excuse me, but I saw no links and I would appreciate knowing them. And to be honest, I am very, very skeptical of any and all sources of "information" I see online. it's too easy for anyone to post "information" online and have it assumed to be valid.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed