The Education System Is Making Kids Stupid

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Martin Alonzo, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Ed Marsh, I can appreciate that when you buy into the propaganda as firmly as you do, you might view indoctrination as teaching facts because you do as you're told and you don't question the agenda. To the rest of us, it's indoctrination and it's clear from the results that it's taking the place of education.

2. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good afternoon to all-
    Mr. Anderson- I don't "buy into the propaganda" about public schools. I bought into the system of public education and I spent most of my adult life working very hard to prepare my students for what they needed to have for their future lives. I have seen how hundreds of my students have turned out- mostly quite well, and I am proud of my students and their achievements.

And your statement that I "do as I'm told" makes it obvious that you don't know shit from Shinola about me. Following orders and directions without examining and questioning the orders if I felt they were not correct has never been and never will be part of my basic life structure. And to say I "don't question the agenda" Is again ridiculous when applied to me. I question everything which comes in contact with me and my life.

And again, the ONLY indoctrination which I demanded from my students- and myself, I might add- was to behave as decent individuals, respect others, and do your best. If that's indoctrination to you, then so be it.

And the results from public education which you decry? The public schools still produce many, many high achieving students, and the programs that public school students receive is still the best in the world. By the way, that's why we have so many foreign exchange students who come here for their high school education.

Again, I will never claim the public schools work for every kid. Some kids have needs so divergent and specific that no classroom situation will meet their needs. And some public school students act like thugs- but that's from their homes- not from the school. The public schools take what shows up and the school tries to serve each kids' needs. It can't be done to a perfect standard, but when kids fail, it's not because the teachers and the schools did not try to help.

I'm sorry that you find the public schools so distasteful. I'm sorry if you had bad experiences in school or with the school system that soured you on the whole system. But if anyone can tell me a better system for educating the vast majority of kids than the public school system- and please don't say "home school for all"- because we know that won't work.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess it really boils down to how selfish some have become, the love of money. I think we used to have teachers, and probably some left I hope, that wanted to see their pupils succeed. Like anyone else, it probably goes through their minds that some of these pupils will take their place. But your picture is sadly true, and one thing for sure is we have to put limits on "lifers" in our government. We see what they are really made of once we vote them in, and with lifers, if they're bad news, we can't get rid of them :(

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Think what good might happen when the Federal Government is taken out of the educational system.

6. Denise Evans

Registered

A brain is a terrible thing to waste on denying ones own eyes and ears, which is what we see a lot of these days. It raises it's ugly head here every so often, especially in MSM but then it's hard to know if they are just lying-for-money, or truly ignorant but I think it's a bit of both.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

That would sure be a step in the right direction. ;)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Denise Evans,

While there are teachers who would better be washing dishes...please allow me to tell you the system is 100 % responsible for our kids ignorance. Many excellent teachers resigned their posts no to be forced to promote students who never went to their classes / went but didn't do the work...also decided to resign no to be attacked by the students...and a lot more. The system is designed to provide a failing society.. Yes, the less educated the easier to manipulate

9. Denise Evans

Registered

It sounds so odd to me that people even mention that the US is the best place in the world, for anything because look what we are comparing it to. Plus the fact, if anyone hasn't noticed, the world is coming to the US and not just to see the sites, or get their education, then go help their own country. They are staying here. And another thing!! LOL!! We are so left out of the loop for medical care right here in my County, but we are sending doctors and nurses to all sorts of country because the doctors that are made in USA educational system don't go back.

Just another example of a truly up side down country. It's just my opinion of course, but I've had to travel 300 some miles to get dental checkups in the last 8 years. I can always count on our clinic here to yank out a tooth though, over my dead body, when I know it can be fixed!

10. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh please, 100%?? First of all it at least should be parents responsibility to see what their kids are learning. And the other goes back to voting in, or hiring the right people. In other words, it's every US citizens responsibility, not just the system since who's allowed the system to be what it is.

We'll now have lots of new US citizens, hell, they got their citizenship free, with money and airline tickets. You think they'll vote for the present system?? Most likely, like scavengers in sci fi films they have no resources "on their lands" so they're here to devour ours, but they "were" invited. It's still "come to America, land of plenty" right :cool:. How's that for a conspiracy theory. Maybe I should just go make believe in Hollywood. Used to make fun of those movies until they are becoming a reality:rolleyes: The system doesn't work right, but what's the root cause, citizens of America.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Once again, nope- the "system is NOT designed to provide a failing society." Never was, is not now.

The public school takes what shows up and then tries to provide the most appropriate education for each child. It does not always work, but no system devised by humans works all of the time. With its failings, the public school system of American is still the best system to serve such a multi-language, multi-faceted society as our society is.

And I dispute Ms. Benoit's statement that "the system is 100% responsible for our kids' ignorance." Our public school system does NOT provide ignorance. it combats ignorance and sometimes wins. The ignorance comes from other sources- not the school.

I am sorry that so many folks here on this particular site seem to despise the public schools of our country. I know the system for what it is- a system which unlike many other countries, tries to educate ALL children- not just the privileged, not just the very brightest, not just the richest, not just the religiously correct. All kids.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Mary Stetler and Nancy Hart like this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

I guess the school system in some areas have decided what is appropriate for "every" child, like learning they can be male or female just by getting a few snips here and there ed:cool:

You still have to get to the root cause of a failed system. You speak as if it is a perfect system, which there is no such thing, certainly not from finite humans.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not all public schools are bad, but they are encouraged to be. Likewise, there are public school teachers who truly want to educate children, but that's no longer their job; instead, their job is to indoctrinate children and supplant the authority of parents over their children.

14. Denise Evans

Registered

You covered it all @Ken Anderson , and I agree 100%, had to look up supplant but what a great word for them trying to gain authority, over parents God-given responsibility!!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Vote career politicians out!