The Hiroshima Bombing

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Gary Ridenour, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Rene Descartes
    The enormous amount of literature I have read concerning the making and use of the bombs convinced me it WAS the right decision. Stalin HAD begun serious work. It took them until Summer, 1949 to test one successfully. The quiet, unassuming Klaus Fuchs had syphoned information from Los Alamos to intermediary messengers, sending it to Russia. Their program was led by a brilliant scientist, Igor Kurchatov, who often remarked, "If I fail at this, I am a dead man."

As Stalin sat with Truman at Potsdam, he already knew about our bomb, via espionage.
    Frank

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Harold Pollner
    I was sitting on our front steps in the evening, hot, humid Chicago-land summer with my Dad, when an amazing clamor came down our street. Grown men carrying pots and pans, noise-makers, hollering loudly. It seemed to be the most unique display I had ever seen. My Dad told me the war was over, I was 3.
    Frank

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Sure! Groves, Truman, and the Los Alamos scientists wanted to see what they were getting for their $2 Billion! (An enormous expense in 1943-45)
    Hal

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Russia detonated their first A-Bomb in 1949, much sooner then US scientists had predicted, but this was due to the transferring of information to the Soviets by Klaus Fuchs, a scientist on the US bomb project at Los Alamos.

He supplied sketches and data for the high explosive "lenses" used to implode the plutonium core into criticality.

Hal