The Incredible, Edible Egg - Egg Facts & Trivia

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken good that you grind then because I hear they will kill earth worms ,may just be an wives tale,don't know.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My dad used to eat pickled eggs...I believe they were preserved in beet juice. I have no idea how long they last, but rumor had it that the ones at my local American Legion were sampled by R.E. Lee.

They are on my Food Bucket List to see if I've outgrown my aversion.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hubby pickled his in vinagar and hot sauce ,ok but I didn't much care for them.Big Mason jar use to be on the counter of every bar,deli and truck stop around.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When we make them, we use the left over juice of pickled beets. It gives the jar and the eggs an nice color and gives us a way to recycle the juice (mostly vinegar). Good with beer or as a high protein snack.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Good idea Don.
    .:cool:

6. John Brunner

I recall that Ring o' Pink permeating the lithosphere of the eggs when my dad would bite into one. I have no idea why they turned me off...likely the smell of vinegar assaulting my virgin nostrils. And, Yes, a Black Label (or 2) was the mandatory accompaniment.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL, yea some don't like vinagar but we use it all the time so it doesn't bother me. I hear that and baking soda is good for diabetics not sure though.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

The chickens from my regular egg source are in molt, so aren't gonna be producing for a while. Their eggs are $2.25/dozen. I decided to throw the mom & pop farm out this way some business (a mid-sized operation on about 1,000 acres.) Their eggs used to be $4/dozen. COVID took them up to $5/dozen. Today they were $6/dozen. :eek:

I did my duty and supported "local," but only bought one dozen instead of the two I had planned on getting. At that price, they better be nice to those chickens.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Chickens are relatively inexpensive to keep, @John Brunner. You could start a small flock of your own:).

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

Yeh, I've thought of doing the critter thing. I like goats as well. I just don't want the burden.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We helped fight for our town to allow people to keep chickens and, depending on the size of the property, even other farm animals in the town limits. In the end, we elected not to have chickens because we like to get away for a week or week and a half at a time, sometimes. We do get fresh eggs from time to time from other people who have gotten chickens, though.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We have experience with both. Goats, especially dairy goats, require lots of attention. You don't have a spouse (at least that I know about) to expand your operation. I started out wanting two or three dairy goats to keep the family in milk year-round. By the time we were done, we had 50 goats.. I fell and became disabled for a while and my wife couldn't handle the heavy work on her own, so she sold the entire herd to one individual to keep them together. Chickens, however, can be kept with a bowl of water or waterer and a feeder inside a fenced enclosure to keep out predators and keep in the birds. The relative expense is quite different as well.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

Yeh, there's always the burden of the surplus. It makes most sense to raise chickens when you have a family to feed. For a single guy, I'd bring on the stress of getting rid of the excess...and I'm grateful that it's not worth the $2/dozen to me to make the effort. There have been times in my life when that would be a welcome revenue stream.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

My grandparents kept chickens --- and pigs and cows and barn cats --- and had a room at the back of the farmhouse dedicated to sorting and candling and chilling eggs to be sold. Fascinating for a nosy four-year-old!

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Great info @Ken Anderson How I love my eggs. I eat atleast 2 a day, sometime more if I have a couple boiled later in the day! After studying quite a bit of The Cholesterol Myth, well, that's a book, but I read more info and watch videos as well, I have no fear of cholesterol. Thanks for all the info on the eggs content, and things you can do to save a cracked one. Does that one work on people too, lol??