The Incredible, Edible Egg - Egg Facts & Trivia

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

This looks like a good place to mention that mainstream is now admitting that eggs are actively good for the heart, and also dairy fat, which is a happy surprise.

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for sharing that Janice!

Janice Lynne likes this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Being from Georgia, Janice should have said "The Incredible, Edible Peach"!

Hal

Janice Lynne likes this.
  4. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

Actually I'm more like a windfall pecan.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

I miss a lot of my fave fruits because I am a T2 diabetic since Jan. 20, this year. But nuts & eggs I can eat and they don't spike my blood sugar!

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Unless you are extremely brittle, you should be able to eat fresh fruit in moderation. Don't overdo it, however.

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

probably right, I just like to eat the lower carb like blackberries. I also get away with quite a few strawberries and blueberries ;) I tested regularly for about 3 months, until I got a way good HbA1C number which I knew I would (or should) since my self-testing was going down into pre-diabetic, and then some in the non-diabetic range. So I knew what foods were working. I'm happy with my foods now, and don't usually miss anything. I even bake with Almond Flour (I make a Cinnamon loaf that I slice and heap on the cream-cheese, that my non-diabetic friends love).

Forgot to mention I brought my numbers down without the Metformin, or any other type of script.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Good for you, @Denise Happyfeet! Can you post your Cinnamon Loaf recipe?

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, I can Don, the one I use doesn't have cinnamon, I just added it in, and also my sweetner of choice, Stevia, I like Purisure brand but anything you want to use ;) The recipe is here and you can "skip to recipe": https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/gluten-free-bread/#recipe
    Also, I use butter, not coconut oil but your choice ;) I use the baking powder "choice" in Notes area below recipe, so no Apple Cider Vinegar.

I just use my large, old mixer I bought for a dollar (old one but works like a dream) at thriftstore, and add everything in as recipe directs. Then I mix up about 2 tbsp. of cinnamon, and sweeten to taste. If you use the stevia powder, it is very strong and too much tastes bitter, yetch!! lol ;)

I scoop my batter into bread-loaf size glass baking dish. I make about 4 layers. After each layer I sprinkle cinnamon generously (I probably use more than 2 tbsp in fact) over each layer, then sprinkle last bunch of cinnamon on top. I swirl it in, just the top layer, carefully using a teaspoon or a knife.

Someone else with more baking experience might have better ideas but that's how I do mine. Takes about 15 minutes, and oven, middle rack is good at 35 minutes on 350 degrees. I test with toothpick at 30 minutes or so, just don't over bake. One time I did 10 extra min. and came out with a really big hockey puck ;) Well, I exaggerate but it was rather chewy :D Oh, one more thing, I just use Parchment Paper, easy to lift out and cool, easy to clean dish.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Thanks, @Denise Happyfeet! I will give it a try. We grow stevia plants as part of our plant business, and if you choose to give it a try, extract the leaves with the highest concentration of alcohol (ethanol) you can find at your location. The bitterness that comes with some stevia extracts is due to the fact that it was extracted with water. The bitter compounds are soluble in water but not in alcohol, so extract with alcohol (carefully, as it is flammable) and slowly boil it off until you get a thick syrup then refrigerate.

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

Wow, that is totally news to me and I love learning about this stuff, thank you much!!

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

hey Don, I made my bread again tonight and realized I use maybe a Tbsp and a half of Cinnamon. That's enough to cover 4 layers counting the top. I'm sorry but I hadn't actually measured it when making it. It seemed like I use a lot more, lol! I have a feeling you will do a great job on it and come up with ideas of your own as well! The only bummer is it's not a "bread" you can toast but as you probably know, there are Keto breads that you can bake that do. I just haven't tried them, yet. Also, if your stevia is liquid then you probably would just add it into the batter, I don't know ;)

I'm truly not a baker, so to speak, but I needed something I could feel like I was having a treat and that's what I came up with ;) Especially adding Philadelphia Original Cream Cheese, can't wait for the timer on the oven to go off :DI'll come back and add a photo tonight or tomorrow how it looks when done.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

almond cinnamon bread keto.jpg 5 eggs in this recipe, large ones at that so nope, I have no fear of eggs ;) Here's that pic of my almond flour/cinnamon loaf I make and gave the recipe to @Don Alaska above in this thread if anyone's interested. I love mine with a good smear of cream-cheese ;)

Not such a good job on the marbling but my heart wasn't fully in it this time:

14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

That looks like something I couldn't eat just one slice of.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

Why just one slice Al?? ;)

Actually one slice fills me up good but I wouldn't want to od on carbs and it does have some but per slice, I think it's like 3 or 4. I bigger slice, more ;) I've had a pretty good size slice, oink, and didn't raise my blood sugar a bit, so it aok for me!

Don Alaska likes this.