The Incredible, Edible Egg - Egg Facts & Trivia

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I would think the things made from almond flour are much more filling than the regular wheat flour. I promise I will get around to making it and let you know how it turns out. May be a few days though.

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh no worries about that Don, if you're like me, you gotta be in the right mood to bake ;) I didn't put enough stevia in mine this time, maybe needed more cinnamon too. I guess I need to write down the way I do it until the time it comes out just right instead of just guessing ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although I generally rinse them in cold tap water after they have been hardboiled, then lightly tap them on the counter edge or with a butter knife, then carefully peel the shell away, sometimes I do end up taking a piece of the egg with the shell. The recommended way of removing the shell from a hardboiled egg is to exert gentle pressure while rolling the egg around on the counter, then carefully insert a teaspoon between the shell and the egg white, and rotate it.

How do you remove the shell from a hardboiled egg?

Also recommended is to never place hardboiled eggs in cold water because eggs have a thin protective membrane that may be removed or damaged when they are peeled. I agree with this because, if allowed to sit in cold water, bacteria could begin to form. I do quickly rinse them in cold water, but just to cool them enough so that I can handle them after they have been hardboiled. I don't let them sit in cold water.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I usually boil 3 or 4 eggs at a time. Once they are done, I pour off the boiling water then toss the eggs around in the pot to break the shells against the sides of the pot and the other eggs. Once they are all sufficiently cracked, I add tap water to the pot and peel them under the water. This seems to work well for me; I've done it this way for years.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I put the boiled eggs in ice water for about 15 minutes. As long as the eggs are not real old, the shell comes right off. I honestly believe that the times I've pulled off hunks of eggs are when the eggs were old.