The Issue That Albert Einstein Predicted Has Arrived

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Joy Martin, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Remember when children misbehaved their parents said, "Go to your room!" Now they won't come out of their rooms.:(

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's a whole 'nother topic. We didn't have all those electronic distractions, and television was limited. When we first moved to the hot, humid, sticky south, we didn't have air conditioning. There was no reason to be inside, and every reason to be outside.

3. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Actually, my neighbor got me interested in this sight and showed me how to use the computer, a simple device. Amish are not against using technology, just not owning it. Most of which would be useless in their home without electricity. They can not have phones in their house yet can use the phone booth in the street or shops, no computers at home perfectly fine for their business, can not own cars yet can ride with the English neighbors or take taxis or ride public transportation. By the way Amish do not speak actual German, they have a corrupt or modified version called Pennsylvania Dutch in Lancaster, PA where I grew up. Their bibles are in German, but then again I could not read my family bible since I did not know German. It is kind of like a Catholic Priest speaking Latin when most of the church members do not know Latin.

4. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My parents nor I ever spoke German, we had a corrupted version of German in Lancaster, PA called Pennsylvania Dutch which was close enough that I could pick out words here and there in our German bible but for the most part we did not know traditional German speaking it or reading it.
    I left the Amish community when I was 17 to join the service have not been back except to visit parents now and then, I am sure the community has changed over the last 55 years since I left. Living among the Amish as an Amish for 17 years does not make me and expert on them, I can just relate to my families and my experiences among them.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep, that and a 45, if they want to keep their stuff.:D

6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022