The Mini Trampoline Thread: Recommendations, Use, Exercise Motivation

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Okay, @John Brunner , as someone who is almost the same age as Lon Tanner’s neighbor, and sort of pushing 80, I am here to say that what you can do, even at MY advanced age, WILL still do a lot to affect your health. Of course, if you can start doing these important changes before you get to be 76-77 years old, that would be even better.
    This is why I read books and try to exercise every day, or at least most days, and I am getting healthier because of it.

Her health care provider may or may not be telling her anything about better, healthier eating. For one thing, most doctors learn very little about nutrition, and more about procedures and medications; so they don’t really do much except suggest someone follows the SAD diet (Standard American Diet).
    You need to find an actual nutritionist to help you with that kind of information, or do a lot of reading on your own, or both.
    Also, as my cardiologist just explained to me, even when he suggests anything about diet and exercise, most people do not want to change anything, which is very discouraging for a doctor; so I imagine that they do not put a lot of effort into this unless they see that the patient is actually interested.

And trampoline, here is what i have and it works well for me, since I can hold on and not lose my balance.

E817F7CD-C900-4C8B-92F7-28F633AB1B82.jpeg

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I used to exercise a LOT. It's tough where I am because there are no gyms without driving nearly 30 miles. Up north I stop on my way home from work, or drive closer to 5 miles on a Saturday. I should have set up one of my rooms as a gym instead of a bedroom that will never get used. I can still do that, but lots of predicate projects in the way.

I've seen two cardiologists in the past 3-4 years. Both doctors (and one assistant) told me to "go vegan." But it wasn't really a conversation, and it was not in the context of my ailment. It was a rote thing for them, as though the said that to everyone more as a ideology than as a specific patient recommendation. And there's a lot to making certain a vegan diet is good for you. They did not provide any guidance. I was not impressed.

I'll tell you what has happened to me the past several years: I've gone from a household that never had any junk food around (chips, cookies, etc) to having lots of it around. I don't know what happened. Retirement boredom, maybe. Other than that, I eat a healthy diet. My meals are almost always foods that are good for me, I just have junk in addition to them.

So is that trampoline a pic of the one you have? Has it held up well for you? I took a look after Jeff made the recommendation and saw one for sale on Craigslist, but there were Amazon reviews of its rapidly decaying condition.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Is that the brand name on the Trampoline? Does it come assembled ?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

It says "PURE Fitness." I'm able to fine the PURE brand, but not the Fitness model.

Jeff said to find one that has 2 springs per connecting point. I was finally able to find one like that on Amazon There may be others, but I've looked at a whole bunch and they either have elastic bands or just one metal spring per connection. I've not ordered yet because I'm all wrapped around the axle over the negative reviews. A couple of folks who have had them for a while say one or two springs and their mountings break after a few months. The positive reviews say nothing about how long they've owned it.

This one is $90. It's 40". Ones with elastic or single-springs are closer to $50...some are smaller.

The graphic on this says 15 minutes of bouncing = 1 hour of walking, running or badminton (seriously.) Also = 1/2 hour of swimming. If nothing else, one of these will get me off my butt and may lead to other exercise.

When you go looking, search on "mini trampoline" so you filter out the huge back yard models. Let us know what you get!

Sunny Bonet and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. John Brunner

A few of us have been talking about mini-trampolines on another thread, so I though I'd start a dedicated one to the subject. Perhaps we can share our experiences and recommendations (pro and con), give tips on different exercises to do on them, and maybe find motivation to keep exercising.

They seem to be a low-impact way of getting some cardio exercise without a lot of expense or occupying much space...you bounce in place on a mat that's only 30"-46" in diameter. I searched the threads and know that @Yvonne Smith and @Beth Gallagher have one. @Gloria Mitchell and I are actively looking.

Right now I'm struggling with which one to buy. They seem to be really popular...there are tons of models available on Amazon in many different sizes (diameter of the mat.) I've been looking at this one, but have yet to make up my mind. Negative reviews have me all knotted up.

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

thanks, I have been looking since I did the reply post. I can not find this brand name either. WE can know more when she reply's maybe. Thought this would be good for me as well as the Mr.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I agree. This might give me motivation and break my lazy cycle.

I started a thread on mini trampolines here and asked the Admins to move our related comments over there. Maybe if we have a dedicated place, we can keep each other motivated. I tagged you in that thread.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Look at most recent reviews and how many. Plus i keep in mind some people are easier to please than others. Some do not follow instructions. John i am hoping what ever we get does not require a lot of putting together to start.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm on my 3rd or 4th rebounder over the past 20 years or so. I'd say find one that is sturdy and has a taut "bounce;" you don't want a soft bounce. The better ones start out pretty stiff but they will break in and last longer over time. This is the most recent one I purchased... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0874THR87/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is quiet and has a good "return" when bouncing. I don't like the bar on a rebounder because they tend to be a little wobbly in my experience. If you have good balance you don't need it. There are literally hundreds of models available now, so I'd just go with one that seems to have good reviews. Good springs and quiet operation were high on my list; I cannot STAND squeaky, noisy exercise equipment.

John Nopales and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

There is a thread here somewhere about the positive effects on the lymph system from rebounding. Since I have cancer in a lymph node, I have not used my rebounder in several months. I know this sounds silly, but I don't want to "flush" that cancer out and possibly scatter it in the lymph system. (Just a mental thing I have.:rolleyes:)

11. John Brunner

None of them seem real complex, Gloria. I think the only assembly is to (a) unfold it, and (b) assemble the grab bar (if it comes with one.) Grab bars seem to be highly recommended, especially if you're just starting out.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Gloria, if I remember correctly I had to have my husband help me assemble mine, because the springs are very strong ... but I can't remember now. I'm sure each unit comes with the assembly instructions for the particular model.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@John Brunner type in pure fitness trampoline in search .. scroll down and hers is on there

14. John Brunner

Importance of Exercise on the Lymph System
    There are also other discussions on mini-trampolines in that thread.

Regarding your hesitation: always go with your gut! Trust your instincts.

Beth Gallagher and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I do not have good balance, so will need bar. Plus my legs are not moving well, am hoping this type of exercise might help .do you have to put all the springs in your self? How much assembly is required i guess is best question.