The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Pit: Decided not to launch our boat today. One of the problems, this time of year, it doesn't get warm enough to boat until around 11AM or so. At 6AM, it was 45 degrees. Absolutely no wearing shorts to get coffee at Dunkin Donuts. It only warmed up to 50 by 8AM. Anyway, will check out the lake ramp late tomorrow AM and decide........boat out or not. If not, will look at this coming Thursday. It will be 15 degrees warmer than Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Some snow could possibly fly in the High Country (above 6,000 feet). Here in Colorado, the High Country is in the Rocky Mountains or just outside of it.

Peak: Kicking back at home and watching a "live" rodeo on Cowboy Channel and enjoying a bottle of Bud Light (wife) and MGD (me) along with some snacks.

Tony Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

It was um..ookay. Saved all the good parts (sausage chicken shrimp) dumped most of the gooey rice. He can have that fer supper tonight :D

John Brunner, Faye Fox and Tony Page like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Pit was arriving at the ER at 9:30PM last night for what I though was another bladder infection and not getting out of there until 4:30AM today.

The Peak was the lab work coming back clean, then getting home and discovering I had missed a dose of a med, which might have cause the problem. All is back to normal. I was concerned that these infections were gonna be a routine part of my existence, but I've only had one introduced via procedure and one happen organically (that was asymptomatic.)

As an aside, the nurse apologized for the wait (there apparently had been some trauma patients brought in truly needing ER Care.) I told her I was grateful that they are there for me, and that 6-7 hours is no big deal when Socialized Medicine might mean a several month delay...and I really meant it (and mean it.)

Beth Gallagher and Tony Page like this.
  4. John Brunner

It all eats. I can't count the number of times I've done something like that. As long as we don't toss the toast in the egg poaching water, we're still in the Forgivable Zone.

Hedi Mitchell and Tony Page like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Can ask Ken and I about ER delays due to trauma patients. He was a Paramedic and I was an EMT (at one time).

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

I saw the EMS guys. They were boys from my county (I was in the hospital the next county over.) You always pray it's not too serious. This was ground transport, not airlift.

As I told them, sitting for a few hours to get drop-in care any time day or night ain't nothing to apologize for, interruptions notwithstanding.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

OK, I have to share this video. I know you'll love this "recipe."

And I'm glad the trip to the ER was for nothing, but sorry you had to be there for hours. Hope you're feeling better.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Happy ER found nothing wrong. I have to ask how are you feeling?
    Please no socialized medicine, I did read that they are getting The Branding irons ready though.
    I hope you are feeling good.
    Stay healthy.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I actually had a small surprise tonight and yeah, it was a good thing.

I’m pretty used to the guys and gals in our neighborhood calling me “boss man”. I mean, even the Hindi’s at the convenience store call me that so I figured that a couple of the folks heard it at the store and have simply been aping that for the lack of knowing my name and it caught on.

I have noticed a difference in the past couple of weeks though. The folks who walk up and down the street have switched it up and instead of boss man, they’ve been calling me OG.
    I let it slide as I do a lot of things because sometimes it’s best not to know some things but in the absence of the other nick name and the OG thing in it’s stead and by so many people, I HAD to see if it was some sort of street slang so, I looked it up.

Sho nuff, there it was in the street slang dictionary as a newer term for: authentic, original or Old School. It’s no dis but rather complimentary.

Uh oh,. Now, I can see where the Original thing might come in but what’s the G stand for?
    On second though, Maybe it’s not such a good thing after all if it’s not street slang but just short for.,,,,,Old Guy.

Pit or Peak….,now I dunno. I guess I might have to ax somebody.

10. John Brunner

@Beth Gallagher @Tony Page Thanks for the well-wishes. Yesterday was an exercise in paranoia because of the serious bladder infection the urodynamic gave me and the asymptomatic one the prior urologist claims was there. I've been afraid it was the beginning of a trend, because that's the risk when you don't empty all the way. The ER doctor said there were a normal number of white blood cells but gave me a script for antibiotics anyway (which I've not filled.) I felt stupid, but relieved. I should have let it go another day, but I did not want to wake up at 3AM with urgent issues. I've been back to normal all day long, except my tailbone hurts from sitting in that hard chair in the ER waiting area for 7 hours.

Regarding this video...just so much to say. An 8 pak of hot dogs for $1????? Mmmmmmm......kwality. I don't know how you could ship the wrapper for a buck, much less include 8 hot dogs. But she sounds like an authority on frankfurter taste and texture.

I love the way she cut them with the kitchen shears...she should have thrown in a fake accent as she was doing it. Perhaps a little Jacques Pepin. I started to laugh at the Cheetos sauce, but upon further review, I bet what she did is not that far off (if at all) from the packet you get with Kraft Mac & Cheese...whey + dehydrated cheese product. It's actually kinda smart, in a rednecky way, although it could have used a little butter (or maybe Country Crock.)

My overriding thought is: look at how far technology has advanced when someone who would proudly concoct such a meal and who has obviously not grown up with technology can record the whole thing and post it on You Tube. You gotta give her (and science) props for that. And apparently she has a following...video comments to the effect of "Good to see you posting again."

Dare I ask how this crossed your path? Have you seen her videos?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Hedi Mitchell and Tony Page like this.
  11. John Brunner

Maybe they've seen you do repair work and it's more literal that you realize:

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole and Tony Page like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

One of my friends sent me the link. :D

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

She has eighty some thousand followers. And I saw one of her vids was a reminder of a "giveaway."

It makes me smile...the general idea of her fame, not the Cheetos Sauce + Ramen + 12¢ hot dog.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I found the video funny at first, but on reflection I'm sad to think that a lot of people actually live the "cheetos sauce and 12 cent hotdog" life. :( I hope her channel is monetized so she can get paid by having those subscribers.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

I've done volunteer work in the homes of that community in 2 rural counties. We verified income on the applications for assistance. I've seen it first-hand. There are some interesting shacking-up situations driven primarily by the need to combine resources.

Regarding that woman: I was thinking her meal was akin to the "have to eat cat food" stories, where you could actually put together a much better meal for the cost of a supposed canned cat food diet. Cheetos ain't cheap. A half block of cheddar cheese (less than a buck) plus dry milk would make a much better sauce (flavor and nutrition) at the same price. I have no replacement for the hotdog, but she's got recipes for "normal food" out there. That being said, some folks certainly do scrimp. (I've supported myself and paid a mortgage on $5 an hour.) But that woman has other recipes out there: chicken & dumplings, hamburger steak & gravy with green beans and mashed potatoes.

Tony Page and Beth Gallagher like this.