The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks good, I don't make bread by hand, however I do have a bread maker machine buried somewhere, this makes me feel like digging it out.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If I didn't have a stand mixer, I'd never make this (and other stuff) in the first place.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Pit-- decided to go grocery shopping today,which resulted in irritating my back and swelling my feet.

Peak-- received a trophy today.
    Per our reading of Results of my wife's PET Scan indicates cancer is in her breast and lymph nodes, all other organs appear clear. She has an appointment Wednesday to get the official results from her oncologist.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

What great news that the cancer is still localized, Tony. Now to get on with treatment and kill those nasty cells.

5. John Brunner

Pit-I didn't get much sleep last night (maybe 3-4 hours) because I could not keep a good overnight fire going in the wood stove. It's the first struggle like that I've had this season.

Peak-I had an appointment with an audiologist this morning to look at my left ear. When I was building those firewood racks in the spring, I beat on a 2"x8"x6' with a small sledge and the first *SMACK* hurt my left ear (this was outside.) I finally got in to have it looked at. There is a minor low-end loss in that ear, and then the expected age-related high-end loss in both of them. Nothing really major, just picking at the fringes. (The newer tests are a lot more complex than just hearing a tone and raising your hand.) Then I came home and crashed for a few hours.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We have basically had a pretty good day. The weather has warmed up just a little bit again, so we went to the fitness center and I sat in the hot tub and then did my swimming and water exercises, and Bobby did his regular workout.
    Once I have been in the water for an hour, it seems like all of my body heat has dissipated, so I have been freezing for the rest of the day. I probably won’t get truly warm until we go to bed tonight and I am under the warm electric blanket and comforter.

The neighbor behind us somehow broke his outside water line, so Bobby had to fix that for him this afternoon, not a very fun job, crawling underneath the house and in the mud where the broken pipe was at, plus a trip down to Home Depot in heavy traffic to get the necessary parts to fix it.
    The strange thing is that they broke the outside water faucet, but it broke all of the way under the house. They must have yanked something REALLY hard to break it the way that they did.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Pit: Around 7:30 AM, we heard a siren. It was our County Sheriff whizzing by. I had to go to local VA Clinic and seen five more County Sheriff's with lights/sirens on heading west. Turns out there is a small-to-medium wildfire just south of Estes Park. Estes Park is a small city right next to Rocky Mountain National Park. The wind is blowing very strong and fairly heavy wildfire smoke is now over us. Can't go outside at all. Then, on top of this wildfire, we have a cold front coming in and our temp tomorrow morning will be 14 degrees! This morning at 7:30AM, it was 64 degrees.

Peak: Wind will die down later today and no snow will be with this cold front coming in. Thing is, there are a lot of folks in Denver that want snow. Figure that out??

8. John Brunner

Can you imaging being a firefighter in all that???
    -3rd Degree burns to the left
    -Frostbite to the right

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Tony--has your wife gotten her treatment plan yet?

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth,
    Thanks for asking,
    She canceled the appointment she had last Wednesday with an oncologist, instead went to one connected to Memorial Sloan Kettering. Msk set her up with two appointments one with an oncologist the other with a surgeon.
    She had an appointment with the oncologist yesterday, tomorrow she sees the surgeon.
    What we know so far is the family doctor was incorrect it is not 4th stage, but 2nd stage with a letter, that I can't remember. Type of cancer she has is very treatable, there are two chemo treatments, one is aggressive the others less so. They will start with the less aggressive chemo and see how it goes. She will start 12 weeks of treatment after Thanksgiving.
    Both doctors specialize in breast cancer only. Msk is rated the second best cancer hospital in the country, the first being in Texas I believe the name is MD Anderson.
    My wife went with my daughter yesterday they allowed her to have one person with her I felt my daughter has better memory retention and my wife doesn't trust my driving, so I stayed home.
    They did not finish discussing her plan yesterday they will finish it tomorrow when she sees the surgeon.
    What I thought was interesting is the oncologist said the chemo will "melt" the Tumor, not shrink.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm glad about the decision to go to MSK, Tony. It was my thought that your wife is not Stage 4 and I'm glad that's the case. Sounds like she has a treatable type and that's good news, at least as "good" as can be with cancer. My best wishes to your wife as she goes through treatment.

I have been treated at MD Anderson in Houston since last January.

12. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

No pits and no peaks today. It was just steady as she goes.

13. John Brunner

That is really good news, Tony! I'm glad for all that you typed (the lower stage, the less aggressive type, the MSK accessibility.) Man, what a roller coaster.

14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

YOUR right it is a roller coaster, and it doesn't take much positive news to pick you up.

15. John Brunner

Pit: Trying to contact the manufacturer of my wood stove (hearthstone) for help. The do not have End User Support and push all owners back to their dealers...but they don't manage their dealers very well (if at all.) So I'm kinda stuck with User Forums and calling dealers who are out of state to find a knowledgeable one (my local guy is kinda lazy.) I should have done this before heating season started.

Peak: Got my haircut. I really needed it. I always wait too long. My hair is bushy, so it does not grow down over my ears or over my collar as straight hair would. I'll suddenly notice that it takes forever to shampoo & rinse, so then it's time to get it cut. (Retirement has not helped me maintain any kind of schedule.) My long-time barber started her own business when the previous owner retired. I sent her a text at 10AM (being solo and managing around "The Flu", she prefers appointments), at 11:30 I was in her chair. She's another small business desperate to find help...she just picked up one stylist to work with her.