The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Pit: Wildfire broke out just south of Boulder. Because of direction of wind, could smell some smoke yesterday evening. Hope the smoke smell is gone by tomorrow (Sunday), because we have a few things to do. Can't go outside when there is wildfire smoke in the air.

Peak: Watched the Finals of a nice rodeo last night on tv. We are really getting our money's worth from another year of the Cowboy Channel on our Roku. Absolutely love it!!

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Peak: I got out my metal detector and found my tractor chain, all wrapped up in a pile of debris. I was so glad to see it that I cleaned it and put chain lube on it and let the lube soak in and wiped it down before putting it away.

Pit: I unloaded some lumber I picked up to make a small firewood rack for the beetle-infested wood. (The more it dries out, the less the critters will like it, and I gotta salvage what I can.) Well, I forgot that single-axle utility trailers are like teeter-totters...the front end is stopped by the crank-down stand, while trying to climb in the back end will send you flying when the hitch is not hooked up. Yeh, it scraped off a large patch of skin. It hurts, but I'll live. I'd install a kick stand on the rear, but I know if I'm not smart enough to remember that the thing tilts when not hitched, I'm not smart enough to remember to put UP the kickstand before driving off.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Oh, my goodness, I started out my day in a panic this morning ! !
    I wear my Apple Watch to keep track of all of my health and fitness activities and information; but Humana (my medicare supplement) only connects with either a Fitbit or a Garmin.
    I have no idea why this is so, since Apple Watch is worn by so many people; but what I did a year or so ago, was to get a Fitbit Inspire with my Humana OTC allowance, so Humana can track my steps and give me my rewards for walking.

Because I already wear an Apple Watch, I just keep the Fitbit clipped to my bra, and never even look at it.
    Somehow, by accident, my bra went into the laundry and still had the Fitbit attached, and when I discovered what happened this morning, I was sure that I had accidentally “killed” the poor Inspire.
    However, I put it on the charger, and it woke up and smiled at me, so it looks like it is still working okay.
    In fact, even though I hadn’t worn it today, it shows that I have walked over 1,000 steps; so maybe it counted all of that time swooshing around in the wash machine ?

4. John Brunner

That's pretty funny. I'm surprised no one called 911 (or the Senior Olympics) when it went into the Spin cycle.

5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Me to Yvonne ….

I had a annoying start to the day my Minnie Mouse on my Apple Watch wouldn’t say good morning :( when I tapped it at 5 am this morning ……NOW that’s not a good start to,the day….:p it’s still not working so I’m going to google how to turn my watch off soon to find out if that makes a difference @Yvonne Smith

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We just had updates with the phone and watch (at least here we did), and that might have affected the volume or something to do with the sound on you Apple Watch.
    You might have already done this, but here is what the apple support page says to do. Sometimes things can get reset when you do an update, and turning the device off and back on often helps reset it back to the original settings.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/
    Let me know if this works , @Kate Ellery !

Also, you might want to download the apple support app if you do not already have it.

72BAFA55-618A-48F3-BEBE-8B8E3EFB6492.jpeg

Kate Ellery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks @Yvonne Smith
    I did a update a few days ago so I’ll check my volume ………

oh I just did it was on mute and ….I didn’t do it

Honestly it wasn’t me C471406A-635F-440E-95D5-9194BD7DCDAE.gif

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. John Brunner

Peak: I went to buy some eggs and got a dozen that were so big, the carton was too small for them:

Eggs Reduced 1.jpg

Pit: Gravity happens. There were no survivors.

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:rolleyes:

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Peak: Income taxes finished. I think this set a record for how close to the deadline. Wanted to get them out of my sight, so I drove to the P.O. (< 2 miles).

Pit: Forgot it was G-Day. That's when the football team divides in half, and one half plays the other half. Georgia won. Game just ended. All main roads outgoing only. Had to circle the town and come in from the south side all on back roads.

Another peak: Roads I've never been on before. No GPS. Didn't get lost.

11. John Brunner

Pit: I've been trying to clean up the overgrown mess my garden has become and I needed supplies. I drove to Lowes and got hedge clippers, long deck screws, some 6' t-posts and some 3' garden stakes to repair and expand the electric fence. I got in line and realized that I left my wallet at home. This is what happens when I wear my work clothes with my work keys in the pocket so I can use my tractor or move my truck if I need to...my wallet stays in the house. I just jumped in my truck and left without thinking.

Peak: I got in the habit of keeping money in my vehicles for firewood, yard sales and the occasional tractor attachment with a For Sale sign on it by the road. I keep that cash in my regular ride, but as I dejectedly trudged to my truck in the Lowe's lot it hit me that I might have some money in it. The glove compartment came up empty, but I remembered that I have a handgun safe under the back seat I used to keep such funds in. I unlocked it, and there was enough cash to buy the hedge clippers and the deck screws, so I can at least finish cleaning off the fence and repair it! The other stuff can wait.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

No real Pit,other than a tad of back pain. Picked the truck today after them repairing the damage some idiot did.
    Soon we hope to take small trip to some smaller towns and see what we might me up against in moving.

13. John Brunner

Peak 1: I got my garden cleaned up (65'x35'), all the fence wire taken down, the thickets & brambles pulled out, then I plowed, then I tilled. (Next I need to reinstall the 8 courses of electrified wire and put in that perimeter fence to see if it keeps out Bambi The Invader and all her freeloading friends.)

Peak 2: I have 2 neighbors down here in the holler with me: Harry & his wife on one side of the right of way, and his brother Larry & his wife & a sister on the other side. We help each other do stuff....I recently tilled Harry's garden 'cause he's got bad knees. So while I'm out cleaning up that garden, Harry & Larry come driving in on their Zero Turns and cut my grass for me...all 7 acres of it!!! That would have taken me close to 5 hours on my tractor and they were done in less than an hour...and those Zero Turns make my yard look like a golf course. I got such nice neighbors.

Pit: It got up to 88°F. After only 4 hours or so, I'm beat. I used to be able to last longer...

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Pit - thee is no place to move any cheaper within 100 miles. Well, sure seems that way. Any one got a field they will rent out - to place a tent? In all my years I have always been able to handle the bad stuff,and figure out what my next move is-until now. Feel helpless at the moment.
    Peak,I feel Purdy good after my round of steroids' for debilitating back pain. And least I am alive to try and carry on:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. John Brunner

Peak: I took my car in and got it inspected and the oil changed.

Pit: It needs brake pads before the next inspection, and they tell me that the rotors are worn. I don't understand. In whose world do rotors and brake pads wear out at a ratio of 1:1? Several internet sites recommended always changing both at the same time, but I never have in my entire life. It this a new thing? Pads are meant to wear out...rotors are not.

I also need new tires, which is a horribly short life out of them (less than 25,000 miles.) My right-of-way is gravel, so that bit of driving might be a little hard on them, but I'm not going full speed and it's not miles long. This sent me in a tail-spin after I walked out. It was my first out-of-warranty service (not that tires & brakes are covered items.) This thing better not end up being a money pit. I can't imagine what the costs be like if I were still commuting to a job.

This is why I always bought used and paid cash.