The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Saving money is just not an option anymore:eek:. Hubby down in his back, has been years since he's had issues, then again he has been much busier than usual. My leg is still a problem, but not as bad. Waiting for the insurance to kick in. Then Radar, has another eye infection, is nails way too long. Blah Blah.
    Can not get him in to vets office until Monday afternoon. He looks almost abused. Sigh.
    Naturally there are many things worse than these- but sometimes ya just gotta complain out loud. :rolleyes:
    The Peak is the sunshine and 57 degree weather today, and I am alive to enjoy it :)

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK
    So I took my little silky rooster home because something was digging under the chicken tractor that he was in. And I set the large trap because something was also going through the garbage. Nothing for two days.
    I walked in this morning and the trap was sprung but I could not tell what was in it. It was dark with a furry tail. Not a possum. Maybe a small raccoon. But then I heard teeth nashing. The other chickens stayed away. I looked closer and it was a squirrel.
    What to do with it. Not up for dinner. and An angry squirrel can attack pretty fast where I can't. I tried opening one side of the trap a couple of times hoping it would just run out.
    Nope.
    I tried one last time after chores and that thing shot out of there so fast I could not figure where it went! The animals were all looking like "What the heck was that!? Rodents are my biggest food drain. I have metal garbage cans for grain but the chickens find it difficult to eat from them.:confused:

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

PIT--I see so many interesting posts that I would love to read, unfortunately my time is being eaten up by house fire processes, and a few illnesses along the way. Since the house fire we haven't had a scale to check my wife's Weight which I had been doing since her cancer treatments ended. Last week I took her to the doctor for what seemed to be a heavy cold, she had a sinus infection, while at the doctor she was weighed, she lost nine pounds since we last weighed her. I've been trying to keep food in front of her, her appetite seems good, however I've never seen her this thin, so I am concerned.
    As far as the house fire process, we've been working on the content claim. I can only say it's very time consuming and there's been a lot of problems. I won't take your time up describing the issues, but the week between Christmas and New Years it's was a full-time job and we're still working on it.
    PEAK-- My wife did feel well enough to make a delicious ravioli dinner this past Sunday. For me good food is always something to look forward to.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Tony--just take things slow and be sure to get some relaxation time for yourself. All the stress of dealing with the fire and you wife's illness must be taking a toll on you. Has Mrs. Tony seen her oncologist lately? The weight loss does seem concerning, but hopefully it's no big deal.

And food is something I always look forward to!! I still love cooking and eating. :D

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

You are a font of good advice for us seniors..

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

That's just a nice way of saying, "know-it-all." :D:D

Mary Stetler and Shirley Martin like this.
  7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth,

I'm just wondering if my wife's body is still recuperating from all the treatment, because she's eating well, seems to be getting stronger I can only judge that by that she's doing more physically around the house. I will bring up seeing oncologist if she continues to lose weight. I know she has a 6 month follow-up in a few months. On our agenda is to purchase a scale.
    As for me I'm mostly mentally tired, we hired a public adjuster to be our liaison with the insurance company, and to coordinate all the steps so everything runs smooth. One of the first things that happens is the insurance company sends an adjuster to the house to count all the content that was damaged by the fire. We were told that they do such a great job, they count right down to the last spoon. I expected the adjuster to come with a team to do the counting, he came alone, and worked for 3 days. I assume he took a lot of photos and did some of the counting and listing of contents from his computer. 3 or 4 weeks after he started the Counting and listing of the contents we received a 220 page report listing the contents. We were told to review it for missing items and price. My wife, daughter and myself went through this report and found 22 pages of missing items. The sad thing was the two rooms where the fire actually was the worst we're not even counted, there was a laundry room with refrigerator washer, dryer, stove, dish sets, perishable foods, the room next to it a den also on fire had a piano that the keys actually melted together, melted TV, couch, stereo equipment, stereo cabinet, Xbox, Wii, video games, both rooms had much more than I'm listing here to give you an idea of what was missed, so we had no faith in the report we had to go through it room by room and for the most part had to do this by memory.
    We had to request hard copy of the report, my daughter & wife worked with the hard copy, I used an 11" tablet.
    By the end of the day I had headaches and eye strains and the last thing I wanted to do was read more.
    I'm just glad we're finished and we could take a little bit of a breather.
    I have been going back in the house searching for personal items. If we should think of something that we would like to keep I'll go back in and search for it.
    I've written more than I should just wanted to give you an idea of what's going on.

Yvonne Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You definitely have NOT written "more than you should." We're all interested and concerned about you and your family, Tony. It sounds like a real nightmare, and your story should be a lesson to us all that we need to take a lot of photos around our homes and store them online. That would make inventory a bit easier than relying on memory if we ever have to.

I'm so glad Mrs. Tony is feeling better and has a good appetite. My doctor told me that it could be 2 years or more before the body gets back to somewhat normal after chemo and radiation. Of course we'll never be the same as before treatment so there's a "new normal" to accept. I hope this new year will be a much better one for the both of you and the rest of your family. Take care.

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Just a thought. Not trying to recommend or be a broken record.
    I followed Dr Berg's version of the keto diet on youtube. I lost a lot of weight to the point of being a little fearful. But it stopped for now.
    He explains intermittent fasting, insulin resistance and how it works and the loss of body weight happening as the body heals from eating 'badly' which puts weight on. Eating differently can cause weight loss.
    He suggests that stress can be damaging and put weight on. But in my experience, it interrupts eating habits and can take it off. Your wife has had a lot of stress which can have different results too.
    Make sure she gets good nutrition--and you and the fam too.
    Hugs.

Tony Page likes this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Mary
    I have been trying to keep food in so it's available for her to pick on. I do most of the grocery shopping my daughter does help occasionally, since we are living in a trailer storage space for both dry and perishable foods is very limited. When I shop now I can only buy what we need for the week very little backup, so I find myself running out of things and having to go to the grocery store more often. As an example we use a lot of Italian bread, before I would buy a few loaves and freeze them, now I buy only what we need for immediate use. I'm still adjusting to the new food quantities when I shop, but trying to keep snacks in for her can be a challenge, I tried to get something different each time I shop so she doesn't get bored.

Beth
    That's a great idea you have to take photos of each room and save them. I would also recommend if you collect anything keep a running count, and take photos yearly.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Not at all. I'm trying to compliment you on your talent of saying at the tight time the right information...
    Not everyone has that talent am I'm just so happy that you share it with us.

Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Un fortunately it has been one thing or the other since we moved here. My leg issue with over swelling and trip to ER.
    Hubby and is back chiropractor , dog to vet for eye and allergy issues, truck issues got that repaired. Last Friday woke up with massive crick in neck. All down both arms, chest and back area. Could not breathe without hurting. Massage, heat, ice, Aleve and Vicks vapor rub therapy on neck- i am much better today. However, i now have tooth issue. Sigh. Gum around a crown has pulled away. not much pain, but swollen and does not look good. Have appt at 1 tomorrow with a dentist 37 miles away .:eek:Numerous other things have gone wrong , but this is enough Pits. I am working on finding a Peak:rolleyes:

Mary Stetler likes this.
  13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Hedi,
    Wow so sorry to hear all the trouble your having. My thoughts and prayers are with you, hoping your problems will exit soon.
    Tony

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Wow, what a month you've had! I hope things get better for y'all soon and that the dentist visit goes well.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Tony I have had nothing compared to what you and your family have gone thru. So it was just out loud whining. But thank you :)

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.