The Problems With Using A Gun For Self Defense

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Brittany Houser, May 17, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do not think that the Branch Davidian massacre had anything to do with Ruby Ridge, and possibly, not that much with the OKC bombing. (The stories around that one leave a lot for speculation,so better done in the conspiracy thread.)
    Ruby Ridge was a case of the government setting Randy Weaver up, pure and simple. They wanted him to be a snitch for them against the Aryans, and he refused to do it. They charged him with having an illegal rifle (shotgun?), and the charges were falsified. Then they sent him the wrong day to come to court, so he missed the court appearance and they issued a FTA warrant.
    The agents shot his son, and shot the boy in the back when he was trying to get his dog and run away.
    They shot Randy's wife when she was standing in the front door and holding their baby. If they had not sent the armed robot into the yard, Randy would probably have come out sooner; but maybe not after they killed his wife.
    It was good that Bo Gritz was there, or Randy and the others would have probably ended up dead, too.

The local law enforcement in Boundary county , Idaho, knew Randy and his family; but the feds took over and the local Sheriff and deputies were not even allowed to do much of anything to help save Randy. There are a lot of people that live out in the hills in Northern Idaho, just like the Weavers did; and most of them just want to be left alone to live their lives, the same as Randy and his family did.
    There is a video , I will see if I can find it, and it shows the local people that were all over the roads out there in support of the Weavers.
    (I don't think the one that I saw before is on the internet now; it has been a long time since this happened; but this one looks like it shows the story from the Weaver's perspective. )

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

actually it was both attacks that set Mcveigh's hair on fire.

Motivation

The chief conspirators, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, met in 1988 at Fort Benning duringbasic training for the U.S. Army.[17] Michael Fortier, McVeigh's accomplice, was his Army roommate.[18] The three shared interests in survivalism.[19][20] They expressed anger at the federal government's handling of the 1992 Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) standoff with Randy Weaver at Ruby Ridge as well as the Waco siege—a 1993 51-day standoff between the FBI andBranch Davidian members which began with a botched ATF attempt to execute a search warrantleading to a fire fight (it is unknown whether ATF agents or Branch Davidians fired the first shot) and ended with the burning and shooting deaths of David Koresh and 75 others.[21] In March 1993, McVeigh visited the Waco site during the standoff, and then again after its conclusion.[22] McVeigh later decided to bomb a federal building as a response to the raid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing#Motivation

Ken Anderson and Sheldon Scott like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I agree. The OKC bombers may have been influenced by the governmental atrocities committed at Ruby Ridge and Waco, but the Davidians were doing their own thing. They had no illegal weapons or connections with any militia. Had the federal concerns truly been about the children, that would not have been a federal matter. Had they really been concerned about the children, they could have taken them while they were in school, as most of the Branch Davidian children attended public school. Had they knocked on the door with their warrant, they would likely have been invited in, as had been the case when the Sheriff's Department investigated complaints not long before. If David Koresh were their object, they could have arrested him while he jogged along the road or ate breakfast in a restaurant, as he did nearly every morning.

Instead, they chose to go in, without warning, and in the dead of night on a Sunday, the one day of the week when they could be assured that all of the children would be present. It is likely true that the Davidians were paranoid of the federal government. In hindsight, they would have been fools not to be. But when someone fires tear gas into the building in the dead of night, breaks an upstairs window and attempts to enter with guns drawn, paranoia is a reasonable reaction.

State and local police in Texas felt the same way about Waco. Had a local agency handled it, there would have likely been no deaths.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Exactly, Ken ! !
    That is the article that I read first; but thought it might be a little too controversial. When I found the link at the bottom of the article for the rifle association report, I linked to that one instead. They are all fitting in together, and this article makes the story of only law enforcement doing the shooting make sense.
    It explains why no one besides bikers was accidentally shot, or even shot at, and also why the police were tipped off that the bikers were going to be there and were on the roof of the restaurant waiting for them.
    The article you posted explains the "why" part.

6. Ken Anderson

Here is a perspective that might be a bit more reputable, as far as being well known and generally accurate -- Breitbart.com.

Twin Peaks Biker: Waco PD Put Everyone in Harms Way, Not the Bikers

It is hard to know just what actually happened, since no one who would ordinarily be involved in disseminating information has had a track record for honesty lately.

7. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

It seems our law enforcement people have gotten their jobs backwards, they are not the law breakers but the law enforcers. There has been so many killings lately by policemen it is hard to trust them even though you know they are not all like these law enforcement people in the report. Is it in water they drink?

8. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't currently reside in the States, so I'm not really in the position to comment about the situation, but I figured that I could at least chip in with an opinion.

Many people have said that guns are not the problem and that society has just changed. Yes, society has changed, but it's still the guns which are the main problem here. The problem is that because guns have been around the USA for so long, people nowadays have taken them for granted, and they don't think they're something serious until they wind up in a penitentiary for shooting someone. Another part of the problem is that most people nowadays have no experience with a gun, because they haven't fought in any wars, unlike the previous generations.

9. Ken Anderson

There are more problems than this, I am sure, but one immediate problem that I see with having a gun for self-defense is that court rulings have repeatedly made this a dangerous endeavor.

First of all, when and if a gun is ever going to be needed for self-defense in the case of a home invasion, by the nature of the crime, things are likely to happen very fast. The chances are that most gun owners will not be able to retrieve their weapons in usable condition in time to do any good, particularly given mandates, in some areas, to store guns in a locked safe or to make use of a trigger lock, or other such safety precautions, and to store them unloaded. The chances that you will be able to open your gun safe and load your gun in time to defend against a home invasion are pretty unlikely.

Another problem that shouldn't happen to an innocent person, but does, is that the police are often allowed no-knock warrants, and they do sometimes get the wrong address. Considerations of defending yourself against an intruder could be complicated by trying to figure out if the intruder is a dangerous cop or a dangerous criminal. In at least one case that I saw in a documentary, the police serving a warrant on the wrong address shot and killed a homeowner because he had a weapon. The shooting was found to have been justified. Although the family is likely to collect in a civil suit, that doesn't do the dead guy a whole lot of good.

Closer to home, in rural Medway, Maine, just a couple of towns away from Millinocket, the police were called to respond to loud noises. Apparently, a husband and wife had gotten into a loud argument. I didn't hear anything about domestic violence being involved, and I believe that a neighbor had called because she heard noises and wanted someone to check it out.

At any rate, this was a rural area, and not within the borders of a town with a police department, so it took quite a while for anyone to respond. I can't remember now whether it was the state police or sheriff's department who responded, but by the time they got there, the couple had gone to bed and were sound asleep when the knock on the door came.

Because they lived in a rural area, the man answered the door holding a rifle. There were no allegations that he had pointed it at anyone but the police shot him several times, killing him. That too was considered a justified shooting.

So if you can be legally shot to death if you respond to someone breaking into your house in the middle of the night or if you have a gun in your hand when you answer the door at 3:00 in the morning, then do you really have the right to use a gun for self-defense within your own home?

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You said it all with the quote above. Yes, sometimes the police do enter a home and do make mistakes, but that is the exception. Far more common would be home invasion in a rural area that has next-to-nothing as police protection. Church break-ins are fairly common thing here, as the uninformed think all churches are rich, as people give money and believe the money has to be hidden somewhere inside. If there is a pastor or pastor and family on site, it can get quite dangerous. These are often homeless druggies looking to finance a buy, or sometimes looking for wine in Catholic, Lutheran or Episcopal churches. In Alaska, there is no requirements on gun storage, at least as far as the state is concerned. Most, if not all, of the unauthorized gun handling here is by teenagers, not young children as depicted on TV. Teenaged boys who were raised with toy guns play with rela weapons in the same manner as they did the toys of their childhood.

If someone entered your home intending harm, your quote would apply. If you are not armed, you and yours could well be dead, although I agree that a weapon not available is worthless.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, there are a lot, and I do mean A LOT of folks who "carry" (concealed) today. If a male person who was "carrying" heard another male say something about his wife or girlfriend, that he didn't think was appropriate, that weapon could easily be taken out and used. There are those that don't "think before acting" and WHAMMO, somebody is shot and possibly killed over what they said.

Neighbors dogs barking, young kids screaming/playing, or just plainly too much noise from a neighbor and a gun comes out. It really seems like America has gone back to the old "Shootout At The OK Corral" days.

12. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pennsylvania's Castle Doctrine
    The use of deadly force for self defense is legal when "the actor believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat." (§ 505(b)(2)). Any force used against the aggressor must be deemed necessary by the person in danger. There is no duty to retreat inside the home or work place when threatened.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson

Believing in "documentaries".......are they true? Given the odds existing between cops breaking down one's door unexpectedly, or a vicious intruder, are you willing to completely give up the sanctity of your life or loved ones based on the premise that the intrusion is by law enforcement?

I am not, and will never be. One is just as dead if killed by a cop or a burglar.

Frank

14. Ken Anderson

No responsible gun owner would do that, and those who would probably need to be locked up, anyhow.

15. Ken Anderson

What if the aggressor is a cop?