There Are Many Forums - How Many Have You Joined?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

My apologies @Lon Tanner . I thought you were seeking for an African American site because you wanted to interact and ask questions. There was a time when different races had specific sites, and probably still do, but most forum sites are now more blended.

If you are searching for old friends, you may be able to find them on location or neighborhood specific forums where people who live there can have discussions.
    You could try this site: https://nextdoor.com/city/oakland--ca/
    I don't use my specific neighborhood forum, but lots of my neighbors do. It's quite popular all across the country.

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

We will never be racially homogenized.

Hal

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Those who advocate or suggest establishing interracial discussion groups are doing so just to prove they are not racist.

I certainly would not participate in such a group unless the other participants were German.

Harry

5. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Many people from other ethnic groups will tend to live together until they assimilate into society, that's all.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Race and ethnicity are legitimate topics for those who want to discuss it. There are issues of race that probably need to be discussed in some venue but, at the same time, one thing I like about forums is that can be just people with opinions, experiences, memories, dreams, and so on, sharing them as we please without anyone feeling like they have to represent a particular race, country, or sexual identity, other than that these background issues have influenced who we are, as individuals, to some extent. I wish we could get to what seems like a logical point to me, which is one in which we speak as individuals, representing only ourselves.

I grew up in an area that was all white, and where I was related to pretty much everyone. But, I had a black roommate in college and went, from there, to spend just short of fifteen years in Southern California, which was very diverse, followed by more than twenty years in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, where I was literally the only white guy in the town that I was in for the last few years.

I don't know why so many people have such a problem relating to those of another race. I understand that it's not a one-way thing and that these problems exist on both sides of the racial divide, but the racial divide doesn't even make any sense to me, except that it's being used for political purposes.

I made more good friends in the twenty years that I was in Texas than I have in the twenty years I've been in mostly white Maine, and these are people who mostly speak Spanish. People are just people when they allow themselves to be. Not everyone is alike, to be sure, but the differences can simply give you something to talk about.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

SO is just one of many. I am registered with several. financial, history, health, and most recently joined and registered with CAT FORUM

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I participate here, and occasionally "the other" senior forum, though I don't care for it much. I also belong to an RV forum and a breast cancer forum.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I too belong to a cancer forum.

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I find the cancer forum to be informative but massively depressing and a bit scary.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

one forum is enough for me

12. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

At present, I'm on two sleep apnea forums, three Christian forums, one bicycle forum, one hearing aid forum, and two senior forums.

I've only been run off from two of them (because of my religious views - I left of my own accord, because of insults thrown at me).

I tried to leave the other senior forum, but the forum operators declined to let me - my name is still there, and the insulting post was deleted by the administrators, the poster was ousted for awhile, but I've noticed that he is back on it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Over the years it's too many to recall.

I've been on some where I became an administrator and helped with some back-end stuff. I've recently turned down a couple of such offers on other forums I've been with for a while.

I've been on some for years (one for over 20 years), and I've joined some solely to get advice for a specific project, then never visited again.

I flew out to New Mexico to vacation with folks I met on one forum. Now that I type it, it seems funny. It's not anything I ever thought I would do. It's just not "me."

Joe Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Before I had the pacemaker procedure done, I joined a forum for people who either had the procedure done, or were going to have it done. There was a lot of good information and helped me to deal with the procedure, and also to understand what other people had done and what was a normal experience after having a pacemaker installed.
    Eventually, it seemed to me that a lot of it was people who were unhappy about one thing or another, and not much that was really helpful, so I left it.
    Actually, now that I think about it, i am pretty sure that this was a facebook group, and not a regular forum.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, it seems that most people who go through cancer treatment and get to a point of "no evidence of disease" go back to living their lives, so the ones who remain on the forum are Stage 4 and going through all kinds of horrors struggling to live. Of course there is a huge "in memoriam" section that's depressing. There is also a group of long-timers who just seem to have bonded with each other so they use that forum as their daily meet-up for chitchat and game playing; I guess that happens with most forums.

One really annoying thing about that forum is that there is a group of self-appointed "moderators" who jump on new posters for posting in the wrong section or whatever. I almost didn't post there at all because it seems like a hateful place when you are going through the most anxiety you have ever had in your life. It doesn't take a lot of effort to be kind to someone who is terrified.

Faye Fox, Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.