Things You Remember Fondly From The Past

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Holly Saunders, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I remember the drive-ins as a boy, and we would pack 10 or more people into a car to go to the "dollar nights" when it was a dollar a car admission. We tied folding chairs to the roof and sat within hearing all around the car. It was also handy when we had 4 small children. We couldn't take them to a regular theater as they were too restless. We could pack our own snacks, take the kids to the movie (usually a kid-friendly flick) and they could watch, snack, and fall asleep maybe without consequence.

2. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, those were the " Good Old Days " Had a drive inn theater in my hometown, only got to go 3 or 4 times as a early teen, mom and dad said they didn't take me when was younger because i couldn't sit in one spot for more than 5 seconds, same goes in the regular theaters.

3. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

In my late teens when the hormones were raging my best mate and I with our then girlfriends would pack into his ageing Holden FJ and head for the Drive In showing the most creepy Saturday nite double feature. Once we secured a close vantage spot we stocked up on goodies and settled down for the flicks to start. The best part about choosing creepy films was that the girls screamed at most of the creepy parts allowing we gallant males to hold and calm them. Gallant.. I say.. sneeky more like it. Anyway our dastardly plan worked and these helpless females just sank into our safe arms. This of course let to a bit of kissing between the scary bits. So a good time was had by all. We actually saw some of the movie too. Oh for a return to my youth.
    http://drive-insdownunder.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/basshillpic1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Sydney's first Drive In built at Bass Hill in 1957 (below) was unique in that it boasted two screens. So you if you did not like one double feature you turned round your car and watched the other. Spoilt for choice we were.
    http://drive-insdownunder.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/basshillpic3.jpg

In the 60/70s my cousins lived at Matraville which boasted one of Sydney's many Drive Ins at the time. Instead of paying to see a film we kids watched it from afar (no sound of course) as the movie screen was clearly visible from their backyard. How good is that.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Don Alaska likes this.