Thinking Things Would Slow Down, After Retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Jake Smith, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Life fills itself in every day! That doesn't stop when we retire. Enjoy!

2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

True, and I guess that's as good a way as any, to look at it. :)

3. Jake Smith

Registered

Exciting day today with this hurricane or should I say tropical storm,:rolleyes: coming over us today. Been busy all week working, and I finally got the huge tree off the fence for the second time, where the last one had fallen and took out the fence and I cut it up move it then this one, fell in the same spot. It's up now and I am waiting to see if this hurricane does it again.:mad: We will see.:rolleyes:

Hasn't rained in a month here, and the little chickens are experiencing their first rain and high winds. It's supposed to pass over us at about seven o'clock or so. :confused:

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Whereabouts are you in respect to this storm, @Jake Smith ? I was thinking that you and Marie lived in the top part of Florida, where the panhandle is, but you must be closer to right underneath Georgia , maybe ?

Jake Smith likes this.
  5. Jake Smith

Registered

We are in Northern Florida Yvonne and the storm is running beside us I think, but you know how wide the bands are. :)

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Jake Smith

Registered

Leo and Foxy seem to not be used to this kind of storm, Leo acts like he has one nerve left and the storm is getting on it.:D Molly is like it's just another day. :)

DSCN1760.JPG

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Dogs are different that way, and they also learn from each other. Once scared dog can teach the other dogs that they should be scared, too, and vise-versa.

When we first got Marco Poodle, he was totally terrified at any loud noises, firecrackers, gunshots, explosions from the arsenal, and all thunderstorms. I had to hold him on my lap while he shivered and shook until it was over.
    We have had him about three years now, and he has gotten much better; but when he hears a loud boom, he still is worried and cuddles up when we have thunderstorms; however, he does not shake like he used to do, and if it is just a few gunshots, he usually stays on the couch and listens.
    Bobby’s dog, Rusty, is not even bothered, except on holidays when there is a lot of fireworks or other booms; but as long as we bring him inside , he is fine and stays in his bed.

Jake Smith likes this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

So true they do. Seems that on holidays like the 4th of July it's very hard for any dog to get used to it. :) Before Becky died, I could just look at her and say, you cold, and she would start shaking, or I could say you so pitiful, and she would shake. I really miss her, had her 13 yrs. :(

She was with us all the time 24- 7 until she passed. She was Mollie's sister, very very protective of us. :)

1496761456413.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Jake Smith

Registered

Man, Marie and I were on the porch just now and she is talking to her friend Elain who is got covid now and the wind just gust up and broke about five limbs on the cedar tree in front of the porch and freaked us out. :eek: More work for me to do, after the storm. o_O The dogs came running inside. :D

Not sure what it damaged, trash cans blew everywhere and the tarp blew off the greenhouse and went out in heavy rain and pulled it the rest of the way off, and secured it. Have to wait and see what else it damaged tomorrow. :(

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Winds sure seem worse this year. Not warmer, just gustier.

Jake Smith likes this.
  11. Jake Smith

Registered

Hurricane Nicole is doing this.:eek:

Well, it's a tropical storm now, but the wind gust is really strong right now, they were going from north to south when they broke about 5 strong limbs off our cedar tree, and now they're doing it from south to north. :rolleyes: :(

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Jake Smith

Registered

They lost power here, for 1hr or so but they got them back on pretty quickly. :D The wind is still whipping through pretty regularly. :( It's gonna go into the night I guess like they had predicted it would. Will have lots of limbs, and hope not too many trees to get up. :rolleyes:

13. Jake Smith

Registered

Checked on this tropical storm, and it looks like it's slowly getting by us into the night, "thank goodness", I will be glad when it's gone, so tomorrow I can see all the damage, and work ahead of me it has caused with all the high wind and rain from it.:(

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Slow down after retirement? Weather just speeds us back up!

Jake Smith likes this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

You're right about that Mary, always something gonna happen when you least expect it to. But glad to say, other than 4 or 5 broken cedar tree limbs, and a bunch of debris and limbs scattered around everywhere we got lucky that another huge tree didn't flatten the fence this time, so I'm glad now that I did get the huge second one off the fence before the storm.
    I didn't know the storm was coming until after I had cut the huge tree up, or I would have waited until after the storm had passed. We picked lots of debris up today and will keep hitting it some each day. :)

Mary Stetler likes this.