This Is Not A Dating Site

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Admin, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I am bumping this up as a reminder to newer members.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thank you. I was about to do that.

Lois Winters and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Did I miss something juicy? Dang, I always miss the juicy stuff.....

Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not really. The point is to not let it get to that point or embarrass anyone along the way.

5. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I find it very annoying that I'll no sooner sign into a new site to see what it's about, when one or two guys will immediately try to contact me. Now, I am a friendly sort, but when I get that, "hi beautiful," nonsense, forget about it. I am out of there fast.

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw a t-shirt ad. Don't annoy old people. Every year, life in prison is less of a deterrent. Should have gotten one for each of us.
    I feel unattractive:( I didn't get hit on. Only some religious guy wanted to make contact. I don't do missionaries.
    Oh, and I am happily married.

Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, I find the "Hi beautiful" thing much too noncreative. At least show a bit of creativity if you are trying to circumvent the no-dating rule.:D:D:D

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

These wanna-be sexual predator trolls don't care about one's relationship status. I had a married friend that despite talk about her hubby, still got "hook up" messages. She followed my advice and posted a photo of her with a very short-haired friend and claimed she was a lesbian. My first message when I signed in that morning was, "BAD IDEA FAYE!" I guess she was bombarded with some real doozies about "threesomes."

Despite that kind of negative feedback, I still continue onward trying to be a comic.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just wanted to add that, aside from the dating trolls, there are also scammers who try to ply their trade on social sites, especially among seniors.

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Many times dating trolls and scammers are one and the same. Young folks call it "catfishing."

Lois Winters and John West like this.
  11. John West

Registered

That reminds me there is "phishing" for personal information in identity and money theft romance scams. As you know, folks should NEVER give out personal information of any kind to anyone you haven't met and vetted and investigated (e.g., truthfinder.com). Being ultra-cautious has, IMHO, become much more important in the age where criminals aren't prosecuted by progressive DAs and courts, thus indirectly encouraging criminality. .

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Do they actually ever get results? Or is it like the old obscene phone calls where they just wanted to shock people?

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. John West

Registered

The fact that these scams exist and are growing would suggest they work, most likely against those who've gotten accustomed to sharing information online. (e.g., Millenials and generation Z).

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, they get results! I know one older lady that for two years had an online relationship and everything about it seemed on the up and up. Finally, the guy suggested they meet halfway but he his business account was on hold until a legal issue was cleared up. He needed money to travel and pay expenses to reach the agreed location. He would repay her when they met because his money tied up would be released on that date. He even send her an official-looking document that he had $311,000 that he would get on that day.

She sent him $1100 for travel expenses, etc., and never heard from him again. The police could do nothing to recover her money since she sent it willingly. They did contact the Seattle police and they arrested the young couple that was running this scam on older widows. The damning evidence was the fake court document that ended up with them just paying a fine to the court. They got off on other charges because their sorry grandpa verified they were working on his behalf to find a wife and he had every intention of meeting these women but got confused when it was time to travel and meet. The lady's son filed a lawsuit against these crooks and did recover his mothers money, but it was a hassle.

The courts are full of this kind of thing and police seldom even investigate, but rather warn seniors of these ongoing scams. I get several of these kinds of things in my email daily. That is one reason I canceled my Facebook and Instagram.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just recently, even though I have a picture of both my wife and I on Facebook, I've been getting "Friend" invites from very young, scantily-clad ladies. I always refuse/delete.