To Be Honest...

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Tom Dinning, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Farm lady …….1
    Physics teacher…….0

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Tom Dinning

Tom Dinning Active Member
    Registered

What does that mean? “room for other opinions”

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ima cookin’ popcorn….with extra butter.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Tom Dinning

Registered

Aha! A score keeper.
    Keep in mind, bobby, you don’t know what I know. It’s a bad strategy to assume you do based on a single question.
    Im not obligated to reveal what I know. What I am interested in is how you would see any analogy in what I have said so far and a thought experiment suggesting the possible placements of sub atomic particles in an atom.

5. Tom Dinning

Registered

Does our arse look big in that?

6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Should've asked me sooner, that boat done left the dock. Nothing against you I'm sure.

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I do most humbly submit to you sir, that you definitely do not know what I know and alas, I do not really care what you know.

You have already brought to the table how smart you are yet cannot figure a correlation between the Schrodinger’s cat analogy and your statement so how would my uneducated vastly meager explanation serve to help you understand it better?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

An emulation of Queen Victoria doesn’t suit you well. I do not see an “arse” much less an “our”.
    I do however, see the writings of an individual if that helps.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Tom Dinning

Registered

Just curious, bobby.
    There are possibly 3 of each of us.
    1.There is the one we present to others.
    2. There’s the one we would like to be.
    3.There’s the one we are.
    There may be many more I haven’t identified yet. I converse with all my options on a regular basis.

Most days we present a varying degree of each.
    Right now I’m OK with the Farm Girl image.
    I also hear an enquiring mind.
    I’m also happy to discuss other topics with you. Sometimes I just don’t understand what they might be alluding to, so I question them. It’s probably a hangover from my teaching days. It annoys the bejesus out of my wife. She just tells me to shut the *obscenity* up.she’s a more educated soul than I could ever be but some days she’s sick of answering questions. And sick of me being in her space.

feel free to put me down but leave your self denigration to your psychiatrist. I’m content with how it seems toe me

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a friend once who would lie as easily as he'd tell the truth. He was a fun guy and his lies were often entertaining. Since everyone knew he was a liar, we weren't offended by his lies, and, since he wasn't offended when being called on his lies, there were no issues. But he wasn't someone who I'd waste time having a conversation with. Although I referred to him as a friend, he was more of an acquaintance.

When I grew up, I expected more from my friends. I had a job that meant something to me, I was adopting a son, and my interests had grown beyond having a good time, and Kenny was left behind in the process. I'm not being cryptic, by the way. He had the same first name as me, but he was known as Kenny. A mutual friend, from the same time period, is still a friend of mine. Although we haven't seen one another in a long time, we keep in touch on Facebook and an occasional telephone call. If we lived in the same area, we'd still be hanging out.

In the course of living a life, pretty much everyone lies sometimes, and for a variety of reasons, but most of us have friends and others who we are close enough to that we can be honest with one another, and I'd like to think that most people endeavor to be honest in conversation, although many may lie for advantage. Nevertheless, I trust that most of us value honesty.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Oh, I truly never denigrate myself for that would be something akin to dishonesty; [ to thine own self be true ]?
    It’s just that there are instances when I do like to wear a facade of sorts that does justice to another person’s expectations.

Now, in regard to your numbered possibilities, if one is comfortable in one’s own skin, then there is little that one has to discuss with himself.
    It is agreed that we all carry a multitude of temporary personalities; some of which require some sort of validation by one’s peers whilst others are nothing more than mental gratification whilst others…..?
    It is indeed a quandary that few if any of the great philosophers have answered.

Do note: You are not the farm girl. Marie is.

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

You were a physics teacher and you did not know what Schrodinger's cat was.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It never ceases to amaze me that those of self-proclaimed high intellect go to such extremes to convince others of their amazing intellect. I am struggling to see how this thread has anything to do with the "Evolution of Language."

Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Based on faulty assumptions, #1 being that we are all stupid and will be impressed by compulsive verbosity.

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I think, on the internet, they are called trolls.
    If he was leaving the board, why did he need to announce it?