To Call Or Not To Call Police?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 13, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I once lived in a place with thin walls.

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I've noticed that yelling at my computer doesn't help, either. I don't understand that, since it seems like it should.

On topic, I rarely involve the police in anything. Especially these days, it seems that anyone connected with the government can only complicate things unnecessarily. If I had reason to suspect that someone was being abused, I would involve the police but angry noises wouldn't take me there.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When it comes to overly noisy, those that live in apartments, especially young people, should know this: An apartment isn't a house! But, then again, there are some houses that are built so close to each other, if someone sneezes in one house, people in the house next to them could hear them.

What it all boils down to this: common courtesy and respect. Unfortunately, there are neighbors who just don't care. There are those that move into an apartment that have never lived in an apartment and have to be reminded that "an apartment isn't a house".

One thing for sure, there are those that are bothered by to much noise and those that either aren't or don't want to say anything and put up with the noise.

There are rules/policies set down by owners/managers of apartment complexes. There are those that follow those rules/policies and those that will refuse to.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

If there's a very loud row going on, and it's loud enough to get me po'd, over an extended period of time, heck yeah, I'm calling the cops with a *67. I'd give the necessary info, no name, and then hit the road, for a bit, to avoid taking a stray bullet. One can't be too careful, these days.....

5. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

IMO .... perhaps the exact time to call the police is while the confrontation is still in the vocal stage. Before it turns physically violent ?

Before a punch is thrown, a stab is thrust, or a gun is fired. A life could be saved, again.....jmo.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

So you think we should illegalize speech?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

To be sure, when I lived and worked at the Winston / Salem Rescue Mission, I had often heard people dare someone to threaten them simply because threatening someone is against the law and the cops can (and would) haul someone to jail for it.
    I’m pretty sure that S. Carolina has the same law in place.

Just that macho sounding, “I’m gonna kick your ^$^” can land a person in front of a judge.

Marie Mallery and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Gunfire is fairly common, but I couldn't hear vocalizations from my neighbors as they are too far away. I have to judge by the characteristics of the gunfire what the options are and I haven't had to call the Troopers yet except for some trespassers

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

But that's not the issue here. The issue is one of a quarrel in a neighbor's house.

10. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Not at all but ..... perhaps the police called , in a situation such as that could 'buffer' the mood of it all. And prevent possible escalating violence ? ....... Like I said, jmo.

11. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Unless you hear specific threats of violence it would be wise to ignore it as much as possible. The rest really is not any of your business, but you can file a disturbing the peace complaint which might help matters.

Al Amoling and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in our area there is always guns going off, but so far nobody is being shot at,thank goodness, Just hinters and other s 'getting their aim' [as they call it].
    We did have a couple V.N. vets who it bothered ,said it brought back flashes of war. But guess they got use to it.

Don Alaska likes this.