Tom Ellerton Here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tom Ellerton, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Tom Ellerton

Tom Ellerton Member
    Registered

Just joined, made one reply. Retired now for 9 years, living alone, no kids. . Independent minded.
    In the small print, it says to avoid saying private or confidential things. Is this true? What does that include?

2. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Things like your bank account, etc. numbers? Home address? Just guessing.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum, @Tom Ellerton ! The confidential things would be like posting your phone number, email, address, or anything similar to that on the forum.
    Most people here have been online for a while, but some are newcomers and do not know the basic things like not posting personal information where it can be seen ; so that is why this is included.

I am a greeter, so if I can help you with getting acquainted here, let me know and I will do my best to help out.
    If you click on your name at the top right corner, it will open a box with options to add an avatar and customize your profile.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome and howdy from Texas, Tom.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

What you choose to disclose is up to you but it's a good idea to exercise some caution. While only members can post, anyone can read the forum, and, if you think of it, some of your financial accounts probably use things such as your favorite pet, your favorite teacher, and so on as something that can be used to retrieve a password. My practice has been to lie about these things when I set up financial accounts so, in that way, I don't have to worry so much about what I talk about on a public forum. In reality, I don't think there's a lot to be overly concerned about but it's good to be safe on the Internet, not just here but anywhere. I use my real name, my real address, and my real email address, but I am the administrator of the forum so I want people to be able to get ahold of me. When I talk about pets, teachers, and places I have lived on the forum, I am being honest, but I have probably lied about these things when asked as a security question on a financial account.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Sorry to be late to the Welcome Tom party! I live in Virginia (as I believe you have.) Lived in Ffx County from the early 60s until a little over 10 years ago, when I moved (and subsequently retired) near Charlottesville.

Regarding the "Be careful what you post" admonition...I think I'm pretty cautious about what I say, but after a while familiarity and everyone else's informality get the better of me and I share more than I initially did. Oh, well. There are degrees of exposure, huh?

7. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Welcome from North Florida.

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome Tom! Glad you joined us.