Tony's Catch All Journal

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Tony Page, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Our first TV was a 10 inch screen in a monstrous cabinet.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Vintage Philco Predicta early floor model 'Pedestal' Television / TV set, 1958

One sold at auction 3 years ago for $425.

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We had a similar TV But I believe we had a smaller screen, I remember my father buying the bubble to Enlarge The picture. We lived in Brooklyn at the time and I remember We had the first TV in the neighborhood And every Friday night My father's friends and my uncle's would gather around the TV for Friday Night Fights.
    Fun times.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had this scree overlay for the black & white set that was supposed to make the sky blue, the grass green, and the middle goodness-knows-what. Closeups were psychedelic, man.

tv screen overlay.jpg

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Was it the "Cavalcade of Sports?"

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I did watch Cavalcade of sports and Friday Night fights were sponsored by Gillette, all I remember is the announcer was Don Dunphy and it was from Madison Square Garden.
    My cousin was a professional boxer and he was on many of the cards for Friday Night Fights but he was never except once a main event. Because he was at the lower end of the card he had a chance to be on TV only when there were a few knockouts. The station would fill the time with the remainder of the card. I didn't always watch the whole fight except if my cousin made it to TV, but I enjoyed the laughter, and the food, my mom always made a spread just seems everybody was happy no matter how many troubles they had at least for a couple of hours.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ours was an RCA purchased in 1949.

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We had an RCA probably a seven inch it was the 630 chassis. Below is picture of a magnifier at auction, we called it the bubble, ours had hooks to hang it from the TV.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

upload_2024-1-6_4-1-19.png

TV Magnifier

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

A pet store in florida has been sending me ads with Exotic animals for sale. Today's animal is a Seba Short Tailed Bat for $1800. I'm too old to take care of any exotic animals but I do enjoy looking at the variety that's available. I think even if I was younger I wouldn't select a bat as a pet. On Second thought maybe if I could attach a long leash to it And train it to catch mosquitoes it just might work.

upload_2024-1-6_13-27-58.png

11. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

The contractor suggested we install the ring system Of cameras for security reasons. We agreed so they installed the ring door bell By the front door and a security camera with motion sensor light on the left side of the house, Another one will be installed on the right side of the house also.
    After watching how these work.
    We have decided to install one in the back of the house also.
    I have to admit this system has made me the noseiest person, I Spend a lot of time looking at the live feed waiting for something to happen. I'll see the occasional Person walking there dog, Or cat scurrying by, and of course street car traffic. The other day we had no rain and it was pretty calm I noticed things that look like bugs flying by?? Too cold for bugs, I tried to get a still frame of them but wasn't successful. Now I'll be on the lookout for more flying targets. I also have been enjoying viewing at night. Because the doorbell camera captures a large portion of the sky, I'll see planes, some stars, I'm hoping to capture a shooting star.
    After reading this back to myself, thinking I Must lead a real boring life. Maybe this is just what an eighty year old does for fun.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We really like our Ring stuff. Did you see the pics/video clip in my diary thread of the guy checking out our truck at 4 a.m.? You will find that spiders like the Ring cameras and will set off the motion detector, along with various bugs, cats, raccoons, etc. I set our driveway motion detector to only "alarm" if a person is detected. It will video the cats, etc., but not send an audible alert.

And speaking of alerts... I set ours up to use "barking dogs" when someone is detected on the driveway. I just love that one, lol. (So you aren't the only one who is easily entertained.)

13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We've only been online about a week and we're still feeling all way on all the features.
    I like the barking dog alarm, I wonder if they have one for a lion???
    I didn't see Pic of your Trespasser, (Future thief), they have a neighbor's link you can see all the subspicious activities in your area, I can't believe how much there is. Some of the suspect are aware of the ring and know how to position themselves so you can't see there face.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    Tony Page likes this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a rooster crowing at the backdoor and a dog barking at the front. I think Hubby disconnected the dog because it kept ratting on him when he went to the trick or treat candy bowl.
    This time of year, I kind of would like a prowler. We caught the Fed Ex truck today. Our driveway is about a 52 degree slope in one area. and icy:D