Tornadoes Destroy Towns In The South

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Marie Mallery, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Is your granddaughter ok? We saw some of the destruction on the Weather Channel yesterday.

Yep, tornados hit those southern states and above them. I was on our family farm when the Palm Sunday Tornados hit northeastern Indiana, and other areas, in 1965. Florida get the tropical storms and hurricanes. We get the sub-zero temps, snowstorms and blizzards. And, California gets drenched in rain. And most states get wildfires.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Several small towns in Mississippi were completely destroyed last night by huge tornadoes that came through the area. People were trapped in cars, in their homes, and almost all of the buildings in two of the towns were completely demolished.
    The storm came through Alabama as well, but we are pretty much in an area that the storms go either north of Huntsville or they go south below us, so we just had heavy rain and lightning by the time it reached here.
    It was around midnight when the sirens went off, so we did get up and watched the television weather to see if we were going to have tornadoes here, too.

This video shows right after the tornado went through last night, and then drone footage of the rubbish piles that are all that is left of these little towns.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We've been watching that devastation on the Weather channel. Just terrible. I saw that a "super cell" was headed to Valdosta GA earlier this afternoon, which is very close to my sister. I haven't been able to reach her by phone.

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Try text rather than phone call.. it only needs a few seconds connection, and sometimes can get through when a phone call can’t. That is what we had to do in 2011 when we had the bad ones here.
    Hoping that your sister is okay and safe.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I, too, have been reading of the tragedies.

Regarding texting: when the east coast had that earthquake in August 2011 (I live at the epicenter), no one at work could connect via voice using their cell phones, but everyone got through via text. I think the system has the capacity to carry lots of small packets of text, while voice takes more bandwidth so the system hits max voice capacity fast. And iPhones send messages to each other via the data network, where it has the capacity to carry large files.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The very tail end came thru here and lately most of the storms this year has gone north or south of me. I am not too far from Mississippi but a good two hour drive due to not having that many routes to take. I could tell it was a very nasty storm when it came thru but all the rain and wind was well north but the clouds were right down on the ground. Reminded me of Monsoon season. There were times we left the airfield flying 50 feet trying to get to our staging area and had to turn around and run for home. When I say clouds on the ground that was what they were like as this weather yesterday. The entire airfield would be under water, my foot locker floating around in my hootch. We have more rain coming Mon thru Wed but I have no idea how bad they will be.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm watching some coverage of the storm-chasers channel I watch, and up-to-date news where I see that the search & rescue (first responders) are out there, and will be out there searching for people:( heart-breaking. 26 confirmed deaths, praying for Mississippi

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hope y'all got in touch with family's and all's ok. So many things going on now a days seems like the end times are upon us.

10. Yvonne Smith

It looks like we are going to be on the watch for tornadoes again tonight, and for a large part of the middle section of the country.
    They already had a bad one near Little Rock, Arkansas, and at least one in Ohio.
    Looks like it will be later this evening before it gets to northern Alabama.

FB8DDE35-274B-46D3-A775-619C4FCDC9CB.jpeg

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hang on guys!:(

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hope you have someplace to get into or under, be careful.

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We actually had thunder boomers last nite and we were not even in the shaded area.

Yvonne Smith likes this.