Trader Joe Shoppers Here?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Joy Martin, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting.

"Aldi announced its intentions to purchase Southeastern Grocers stores, including Winn-Dixie and Harvey’s Supermarkets. An Aldi spokesperson emphasized that Aldi and Southeastern Grocers remain separate companies and will continue to operate independently until the transaction closes. Aldi is set to acquire approximately 400 stores, primarily in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi, some of which could be converted to the Aldi shopping format. As the companies near a final deal, expected to be completed in the first half of 2024, shoppers have many questions about how this will impact their grocery experiences."

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup. ALDI massively expands while Lidl contracts.

I had an interesting experience at ALDI today (yeh, I know, it's the TJ thread.) I have been buying gallon jugs of water at Walmart, and when I was in the outskirts of Richmond a week or so ago, I stopped in the ALDI there and discovered that their gallon jugs of water were much cheaper than Walmart. (I felt like a fool not realizing this before.) I went to the ALDI in Charlottesville today, and their gallon jugs of water were much more expensive than the Richmond store. I guess there's more competition in Richmond than in Charlottesville. Dunno why I expected prices to be more uniform. Too bad Richmond is 20 miles further away than C'Ville.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This just in from the "Who Cares About That" department (since Harvey's is mentioned in the Aldi article) ...

Harvey's Supermarket chain was founded by J. M. and Iris Harvey in Nashville, Georgia, in 1924. Their son, Joe, took over the chain in 1950. Harveys had grown from a total of 22 stores in 1981 to 43 stores in 2003. Harveys growth during the 1990s was primarily through acquisitions.

I was born and raised in Nashville GA. :D The original Harvey's was on "the square" across from the Berrien County Courthouse. I spent many Saturday mornings at Harvey's with my mama.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like retail memories. I think there's something uniquely American about them.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Aldi's prices have been increasing more than most. They are about the same as a local small chain here when they used to be about 40% cheaper.

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd probably go to Trader Joe's frequently, but the only one that's near me has the smallest parking lot known to mankind. You simply cannot find a space. Cars drive up and down the rows and around the lot looking for a place. I'm not willing to do that.

I don't mind parking waaay out in the lot, but there IS NO waaay out in their lot.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.