Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Do yourself a favor and look at the Total Contacts on the new phone and make sure it looks like they all got moved...especially if their network was flaky. The network messed up on the phone I got before the iPhone and over half of my contacts did not make it over.

Fortunately, I noticed this after I got home and before they sent my phone off to Cellphone Heaven and they still had it in the store.

Unfortunately, the first set of contacts that got moved over are correctly set to back up on the Cloud. The second set that got moved over reside on Phone Only, and there's no way to change that setting without going through each contact, finding the Phone Only ones, deleting them, then recreating them...it seems that choice is permanently made when the contact is created, and you cannot change the setting from Phone Only to Cloud Backup.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I just checked, because of your post. The contacts are identical. I imagine what I did after I got home wrote over top of whatever the ATT guy did. According to the app, it doesn't involve the internet, as long as you link the 2 phones together with USB cable.

I'm skeptical of anything that has "cloud" in the name now. All the sudden, they may hold your stuff hostage for a high ransom. Like Google One Drive. I've been looking at ways to actually "clone" the hard drive on my pc. Looks like external hard drives are not very reliable?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

I don't really know where my contacts are stored. They set up a GMail address for me. The first half of my contacts were done via an app and their wireless network, which crashed halfway through. The second half were done via USB. I have no idea why (or how) the setting got changed on the second half. You might want to read on how to create a backup file of your contacts. I do it every once in a while, then copy the file from the phone to my computer. In fact, this thread reminds me to refresh that backup...

Regarding external hard drives: I've never hear of reliability issues, but I only use them for intermittent backup or occasional storage of work-sensitive stuff I'd rather not have on my PC. I am unaware of any reliability differences between the drives used in PC & laptops and the ones sold in external enclosures. You can get an adapter kit or a docking station that will read an internal hard drive. Lots of folks use the enclosure with a regular hard drive as a routine external storage device. These days, they all plug in via USB ports. (It used to be more complicated.)

I've used these adapters when a PC or laptop has taken a poop. Even if the computer's internal hard drive won't boot up (the operating system got compromised), and as long as there is no physical damage to the drive, you can take the thing out of the computer and still read and transfer the files on it with an external adapter hooked up to another computer; in other words, that hard drive acts as an external storage device. They are real easy to use. I don't know if there's a risk using those files if your computer was taken down by a virus.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. John Brunner

I forgot: Search on "How To Read Internal Hard Drive" for all the options and rigs to do this.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

I searched "How To Read Internal Hard Drive." With more options, my head is spinning, again. Let me pose a hypothetical question:

Suppose you buy a hard drive, as close a match as possible to the one you have in a pc. You put it in a docking station and copy everything on the pc hard drive to the external one—create a bit-identical disk image, not file by file copy. I think that's what they call cloning.

Now suppose your pc crashes and the only option left to troubleshoot is "reset to factory settings" (been there)

Could you just fix everything that is wrong with your pc, unscrew the old hard drive, put in the external one, and Go?

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

What you want to do can be done. I am no expert in this. Here are search results for how to clone hard drive and how to clone hard drive windows 10. Then there is How to make Windows 11 and 10 recognize a cloned hard drive again, because I believe that WIN 10 does things to prevent itself from being "shared" among computers, so might not recognize a hard drive other than the one it was originally registered with. Early on there were issues with this when users upgraded their hardware and found that they could not just reinstall a legally owned copy of WIN 10.

I would be amiss in giving advice, because I'd be out of my league. I can tell you that any updates that occurred since the Clone Date (operating system, software, drivers) would have to be installed to bring it up to date. That would likely happen automatically. And obviously any files saved & modified files post-Clone Date (pics, documents, spreadsheets) would have to be retrieved and moved from the original hard drive, unless you start saving such things to an external drive...or you religiously backed them up.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

Oh yeah. Windows. I bet you're right. They wouldn't allow that. Moves that idea to the back burner. My head has stopped hurting now. Thank you.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

It can be done. One of those links shows how. I think User Outrage forced Microsoft to provide a path to do it.

In Microsoft's defense, there's a lot of theft from "sharing" software, just as making a cassette tape of your friend's Fleetwood Mac album is violating copyright. Before WIN 10, people "shared" with impunity.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

I did the white sock test outdoors yesterday. Two quick trips across the lawn—one to get something from the truck and one to retrieve the trash container from the street. Both times I came back with a flea on my socks. All these animals carry fleas: squirrels, ground squirrels, opossums, raccoons, deer, and fox.

I might have to move to the country to get away from the wild animals. This summer, and the warm winters lately, have me rethinking a colder climate. If you can't get outdoors here in the summer anymore because of the heat and insects, not being able to go outdoors in the winter up north, due to cold and snow, might not be such a bad thing.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

I get accidentally recorded on the squirrel surveillance camera every so often. The distortion of the wide-angle lens alone is enough to make a person never want to leave the house in daylight. Right now I have a pixie haircut. Noticed the hair at the neckline sticking out in the back, rather than down flat against the neck. And this was with a good cut. It apparently pops out as soon as you put down the comb and mirror and start actually moving. I didn't know this was happening. o_O You never see that in pictures of models.

As I mentioned before... I can cut the front in 10 minutes, but it takes 30 to get it right in the back. Too much work, too often. I will never get my hair cut at a salon on a regular schedule. Dislike everything about the whole experience. Very liberating to finally admit this will never happen, and move on. So I've been looking for a cut that will not require so much work in the back and still look decent when you are out in the yard.

A mullet fits the bill. Just means shorter in the front and longer in the back. Example:

More specifically a "Mixie" (Pixie Mullet).
    upload_2022-9-4_19-29-8.png

I've been letting it grow in the back for about 4 weeks. With a twirl, and a couple of strategically placed bobby pins, you can now make it look like a pixie that hugs your neck perfectly in the back. In another month it will be even easier.

:)
    upload_2022-9-4_19-29-32.png

The sides have to be very short with glasses. I knew this back in the 1960s. Why did I forget? A buzz type cut might even work on the sides. Can't find a picture of what I want anywhere. Either I invented a new "do" or don't know what keywords to Google. Theoretically I would never have to cut it in the back again for the rest of my life, and it should still look neat. It would just turn into a low bun.

I just know this is going to work. Hope they allow me to have scissors when I go to the nursing home.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been wearing a mullet since even before covid. Hey! BC!
    When the back gets too long, I call my daughter to cut it straight across and I angle the sides. If she balks, maybe a bowl?
    Can't figure out if it is because I am cheap or lazy. I hear there was a mullet contest somewhere. They announced it on the radio.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Nancy Hart and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never been able to cut my own hair. I do trim my bangs occasionally, but that's it. When my daughter was here last week she shaped up my "dandelion gone to seed" hairdo that was a gift from chemo. I really miss my old hair. :confused:

Mary Stetler and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

I tried to find out why they call it a mullet. First thought was the fish. Did you know a mullet is the only fish with a gizzard? I didn't. :confused:

In The Iliad, ancient Greek poet Homer described the Abantes, a group of spearmen, as wearing “their forelocks cropped, hair grown long at the backs.”

In the US, the style dates back to Native American tribes that often combined the look with a Mohawk.

But the name itself wasn’t coined until recent times, with the Oxford English Dictionary crediting the Beastie Boys’ 1994 song Mullet Head:

You want to know what's a mullet? Well
    I got a little story to tell
    About a hair style, that's a way of life
    Have you ever seen a Mullet wife?

Number one on the side and don't touch the back
    Number six on the top and don't cut it wack, Jack

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The mullet dates back to the '70s so I don't believe the Beastie Boys created the term. https://historydaily.org/mullet-hairstyle It seems I recall using the term in the 80s.

I had a teacher in high school who called anyone behaving badly a mullet. Not sure if that was just his thing as a way to keep from saying idiot, though. :D

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

Most of those pictures go overboard with the exaggerated front part, and too long in the back left to just dangle. Just my opinion.

Hair is not that hard to cut unless you have to use a mirror. Need 3 hands, or an elaborate mirror system, which I don't have. I could never get the hang of using scissors in one mirror.

My problem is where to stop with the short hair, the sweet spot. ;) You can always cut more, but if you take off too much you have to wait 'til it grows out again. So I've left too much right now, probably.