Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been thinking about how slowly wild cedar trees grow. Another option would be to just buy some fast-growing evergreens from a nursery.

Green Giant Arborvitae might be a possibility. They are supposed to grow up to 5' per year. I would want them to only have branches above the new fence, so you could mow under them and spray the fence. Trying to shape them would be a lot more fun than trimming hedge.

This is Arborvitae with damage from deer. :) Exactly what I would want. Picture them cleaned up at the bottom and a wood fence behind. But would the deer completely kill them before they ever get this tall?

[​IMG]

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree about the giant arborvitae. I have seen people cover them in winter with burlap.
    I have trouble with garbage saplings like box elder, poplars, red twig dogwood, wild hollyhocks, brambles, virginia creeper... growing close to the fence because it doesn't get trimmed enough. Come to think of it, poplars grow fast and tall.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

You mean they cover them to keep the deer off?

Yes, poplars grow really fast. But they lose their leaves early in the fall. I want something that is tall and has needles or leaves all year.

4. Mary Stetler

Registered

In theory, the burlap keeps the deer from eating the tasty evergreens and lets the water through, unlike plastic. Not sure where one would get that much burlap in this day and age.o_O

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

The kitchen cleanup didn't go so well at first. Every time I'd bend over there was a stab in the rear end. Ladder climbing seems to trigger that.

Picture taken just to prove I really did finally get it done. Before it gets cluttered again. Needs a new rug (re-purposed temporarily from a hallway).

[​IMG]

The (ca. 1960) stove with 4 new burners. Everything is working well. It's supposed to have a fluorescent light under the top rim. The size is not made anymore. :(

[​IMG]

Only 5' of usable counter space in the kitchen, except a little on the stove.
    I've got some ideas how to change that. [​IMG]

6. Mary Stetler

Registered

I had that counter top in my barnhouse kitchen! I think it is from the late 30's.
    Your kitchen looks fine. You mean it won't always look that way?

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love your stove! I had a stove very similar to yours when I was first married. My dad found it for me for just 25 dollars. It worked perfectly and was spotless from the previous owner. I wish I had never gotten rid of mine. But I was young and I as soon as I saved enough money, I wanted to get new modern appliances. Harvest Gold, lol.:p:rolleyes: Your kitchen looks really nice too!

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

That stove was a gift from friends around 1982, who bought a new house and wanted to remodel their kitchen. It was old then. It's 40" wide and fits perfectly in front of the 36" window. Most new ones are only 30" I think. If I got rid of it, I'd have to redo the counter or it would look stupid.

It's probably not very energy efficient. It has a fast burner that boils a cup of water almost as quick as a microwave. I like that.

9. Nancy Hart

Registered

Ha! Ha! It's already cluttered and all I did was make a grilled cheese and a cup of coffee.

The countertop is cheap laminate bought from Lowes in 2009.

The previous base/floor cabinets were made of that fake wood (pressed sawdust & glue). The whole thing started falling apart after 30 years. I made a frame out of 2x4's with solid wood shelves. Saved the doors and front frame because they were solid wood. Cut out a place for a dishwasher.

You could dance on it now, and the frame wouldn't break. :p

Before
    upload_2023-8-28_16-40-51.png

During

[​IMG]

10. Nancy Hart

Registered

GC took his 13 year old son fishing on the lake Saturday. He wants to know how much I want for the property, again. I told him I'd have to think about it.

First thought is to direct him to some comparables on the internet. There are 2 now — one that just sold, and one that is for sale. His reaction might tell me if he's serious or not.

Does that sound like a plan? ..Anyone?..

[​IMG]

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's a plan if you'll be satisfied with an offer that's in the range of those comps.
    It's always good when the buyer is chasing you.

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Registered

Realtors will give you an estimate on the value of your property. It will be your most recent tax assessment. Add maybe $50 thousand on that for your realtor fee:rolleyes: and...?:D

John Brunner and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

Good point. One comp is on the low side, imo. The other is high. I'll omit the low one. :)

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

I wondered about that. Some have called in the past saying they have a buyer already. I don't believe them, but I suppose it's possible. I'll have to go with a Realtor because of the difficulty in arranging financing land (mentioned earlier). Unless a lawyer could handle it just as well? {sigh}

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Before I moved in to my current place, I had a garage built, a patio door installed on an exterior wall and a small deck put on. Permits and inspections were done on the whole thing. None of it found its way to my assessment. So not only is that figure tens of thousands of dollars low regarding documented value, for 13 years my property taxes have been understated.

I really think that assessments as an estimate of value depend on the jurisdiction and how they play the Assessment vs Tax Rate game.