Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I looked for another dish drainer. I don't need a bigger one with this routine, but it's white and old and shows stains that are hard to remove. Couldn't find one made any better. I'll look for a brush to use on it. Meanwhile I'll live with it.

There is another downside to all this cleaning. I ran out of dishes to wash and did the microwave, then the refrigerator. Then the toaster oven. Now the toaster oven won't work. Coincidence? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Registered

False alarm about the toaster oven. The thermostat knob has only a little bump on one side to show the "pointing" end.

(not mine but same model)
    upload_2023-9-14_0-23-23.png

While cleaning I must have got it turned 180 degrees and didn't notice it. Trying to cook something at 350 degrees ends up more like 100. The temperature markings were just painted on, so some of them got erased in cleaning too. Close enough.

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How to build a bluebird nesting box: Kentucky style, Easy woodworking project

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thank you, Joe. With that birdhouse design, the baby birds wouldn't have to fight with each other to look outside when they're getting ready to leave the nest.

Of course, MY bluebird pair only produced 8 little birds from 6 nests – two sets of twins and 4 singletons. :rolleyes: It would be good modified for chickadees. They produced 5 in just one nest.

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I liked how this guy did his video. He just talked like I was visiting him in the garage. I also liked how he used some wood that he had laying around. It was very pleasant to watch.

Some years back, I bought three eastern bluebird houses, at Ace Hardware. I would put all three up around the yard, two along the tree line & one on the twisted pine. Then I became the "Realtor" and waited for a "buyer", with the option to rent. The bluebirds tried one house after the other, but couldn't seem to make up their minds. Meanwhile, the wrens and other small brown birds were waiting in the wings. One after another, the wrens moved in and made it home.

A few years ago, a critter crawled up the pine tree, out on the branch and chewed the wooden birdfeeder up to eat the seed. Then the deer came and drank the birdbath dry. So we stopped with the birds and moved on in life.

I never saw a bluebird house with access at the top of the door like that!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

That slot would not be good in cold weather. I believe that man said he lives in the Southeast. It seems like it might be more prone to predators, particularly squirrels. I just read that house sparrows don't like a slot. I think the house sparrows here all stay in the garden section of Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart.

I liked his hinges. Good for a season at least.

Bluebirds are very territorial. Maybe your houses were too close together. I've seen recommendations of at least 150' apart. When I had two houses (80' apart) they would go back and forth and try to claim both boxes. When I reduced the hole size in one for chickadees, they gave up on it eventually and chose the other.

Actually the chickadees are a lot more fun. Carolina chickadee boxes only have to be 30' apart. I may put up two this spring. You probably have black-capped chickadees. They are different.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Our recent birds, have been Mocking birds. 5 or six years ago they came and built a nest in the barberry bush, that is around 10 ft from the side porch. It is an invasive species (the bush, not the bird) so I have to cut it back on the heavy side once in a while. It has little sharp thorns, which make their nest more secure, and it is covered with little red berries that the birds like. They return every year.

The male puts on quite a mating dance display. He sits on the edge of the roof peak and does somersaults in the air, while singing. When he flies, his wings look like a pinwheel! The original nest had 5 eggs, and they all hatched and survived. They were very private and had huge eyes. ....and then one day they were gone. I am just guessing, but I can imagine that a few of their offspring return and build a nest nearby, if not in that bush.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

I saw a mockingbird here tumble in the air like that once or twice. Now I know what he was doing. I can't tell the males from the females. Both never show up at the same time.

My grandmother had barberry hedge all around one side of her house in Ohio. She always kept it trimmed perfectly. :rolleyes: Which reminds me of the remove hedge/add fence project.

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Here are a few pictures of the Mockingbird bush, from the archives.
    IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0264.JPG Mockingbird eggs.JPG Sparrow babies.JPG

The female is smaller, and has more of a solid, dark grey coloring. I have a picture of them both together, but can't find it.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

You are lucky to have a place for mockingbirds so close to the house where you can watch them. The ones here come from somewhere back over the roof (south).

As I've mentioned before, most of the birds that show up on the deck regularly are smaller species. Even the larger one are "hoppers," like robins. When the mockingbird shows up he looks so goofy "walking," because I'm not used to it.

Did you know that a brown thrasher (GA state bird) can actually mimic more sounds than a mockingbird? The difference is they don't repeat each sound several times before moving on to the next, so you don't notice the pattern. I believe the thrasher is a walker also.

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How the Brown Thrasher Got Its Name

"The Brown Thrasher earned its name for its characteristic behavior of thrashing through leaf litter and soil in search of food. This bird is a member of the thrasher family and is known for its distinct brown plumage."

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

That's one of the best videos of a mockingbird I've heard.

Brown Thrasher singing. He repeats short sounds twice.

Joe Riley likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That was quite a concert! I like his coloring too. Thanks, I was not familiar with the Brown Thrasher.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

My cousin's plans are changing, because people are backing out of the trip to the wedding. I figured as much. She's either coming or she's not. I still need the motivation to fix sinks, but it seems like every time I try, something else goes wrong.

The faucet in the kitchen sink in town started leaking recently at the same spot as the one at the mobile home. "They" say you should nip a leak in the bud, or it will deteriorate the faucet (like it did at the mobile home). The same repair kit will work for both, and it was just sitting there with all the tools, so I jumped on the one in town Friday night.

The repair kit fixed the leak, but now the cold water won't come back on. I probably ruined the cold water cut off in town also. These are metal, not plastic. Hit me with your best shot. I may just learn how to solder copper pipes now. I got nothing else to do.

At least there is hot water to wash the dishes. LOL

I think 4 home football games in a row is making me crazy. That never happened before in all the years I've lived here. One more next Saturday, then a break until Nov 7th (Thank you, Lord).

That's enough for now.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.