Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I know. You are supposed to brush a cat's teeth. There is no way in hello anyone could brush this cat's teeth. Maybe if you started her as a kitten, but I didn't get her until about 8 weeks. I've seen it done on YouTube. It looks like a superficial job and a waste of time. If I only brushed my teeth like they brush a cat's teeth, I wouldn't have any left.

I took my first cat to have her teeth cleaned several times. She was bad about tartar build up. When she got old the vet said the risk of sedation at her age was not worth the cleaning. This cat is already well past that age.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How about the neighbors?

And I'm sorry about your cat.

3. Nancy Hart

Registered

Students couldn't care less what you do. I like that. If I didn't, I'd move. I don't much care what they do either, as long as their dogs don't bark all day, and they keep them on a leash.

In the video below you will see a boy walking a dog. I would bet money he bought that dog only after he moved away from home to school. Eventually the novelty of dog-walking will wear off, and he will just prop open the back door and let the dog walk itself. One year that little house with all the cars had 3 boys with 3 large dogs. The back yard was a mess.

The fence rails are installed. A wire-trim-off guy, followed by a face-board-installation guy, should be next. They used 4x6 posts. When they add a 2x6 face board on top of the post, to sandwich in the wire, it should give the appearance of 6x6 posts. :cool: Eventually there will be a gate guy.

4. Nancy Hart

Registered

Things were not looking good for the cat last night. The tooth area swelling got a little worse. Still not eating. Her back legs weren't working right. That also got worse as the evening went on. She could barely walk. Surely they wouldn't give an injection in a hip, would they? You could hit a nerve back there, and that could take weeks to heal.

I did give the second dose of pain meds early. I think they missed completely with first dose. First turnaround was 4:00 this morning. She ate a little dry cat food and quite a bit of chicken broth. No dice with wet cat food. This morning she's walking a little better.

The vet just called. Didn't know what the leg problem could be. Wasn't sure where injection was given. (That means the leg was a possibility.) They can't do the surgery until Wednesday of next week, Tuesday if there is a cancellation. She said the cat's bloodwork came back "perfect."

5. Nancy Hart

Registered

The fence is done. They made a cute little gate to match, from scratch.

[​IMG]

Probably coming early next week ...6 loads of fill dirt to even up underneath in places and fill some ruts in the lawn that have been there for years. Then some gravel for a turnaround.

Football game today with Auburn at 3:30. Except for tomorrow, no free time until next weekend. Getting nervous about my cousin's visit, if she doesn't change her mind. I think I'll go out to the mobile home after the game starts and come back around 10 pm. See how the kits work for the cutoffs on that kitchen sink.

I can always kill time remove ceiling cobwebs and do cleaning. Maybe replace a toilet flushing mechanism. It is temperamental because of rust build up inside.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

I got mixed up. Game today is with UAB at 7:30 PM. Today's plans now changed to tomorrow. Too late to edit, so I'll add something. :rolleyes:

The cat is doing better today. Walking is back to normal. (What was that all about???) Except for the still swollen cheek she is acting almost normal. Eating dry cat food. I think she swallows it without chewing. Won't touch anything else, including liquid, like unsalted chicken broth.

The pain meds definitely make a difference. Sometimes I can catch her to give them, sometimes I can't. Sometimes she will jump up on my lap, sometimes she runs away when I just move. It has to do with whether I'm standing or not. Whether she thinks I'm mobile. And she seems to forget previous encounters quickly.

I now just carry the pain meds around at all times in a pocket and take advantage of whatever situation arises close to the right time. Catching her Wednesday morning around 7 AM is what matters most. I'm already stressing out about that. She goes nuts locked in a carrier for very long at home. Tries to chew through the metal door.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Nobody I know brushes their cat's teeth. My cat would kill me.

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

There is a woman with a YouTube channel about her pet 'possums. She brushes their teeth. :)

(I think I posted this somewhere already. )

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

LOL

10. John Brunner

So you're not supposed to use a power washer? oops

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

Back to the kitchen sink problems in town ...

@John Brunner: Thank you for the advice about using a "seat" wrench on cutoff valves. If I had taken that advice it would have solved the problem right away. I was too impatient to wait to find the tools. Scroll down to START HERE if you're interested why.

Recap:
    Faucet leaking
    Fixed with new O-rings
    In doing so discovered the cold water cutoff was not working
    Fixed with new washers
    This resulted in NO cold water coming out of the faucet o_O
    Hours spent trying to locate the obstruction with no luck
    Might as well put new washers in the HOT water cutoff while I'm at it
    Cannot get the nut loose

Time to take a long break. Otherwise losing one's temper could result in permanent damage. There are worse things than living out the rest of your life without cold water in the kitchen.

(9/23/23) Saturday

When all else fails in loosening a nut, I always try sharp tapping on the wrench with a hammer. You just have to keep the wrench from falling off. But with dangling water pipes you need TWO wrenches to counterbalance, otherwise you can tear up the pipes. So how do you hold 2 wrenches and pound with a hammer at the same time?

A chunk of 2x6 from the fence project cut to fit against the wall in the cabinet and support the water line. A pipe wrench instead of a crescent wrench, because the pipe wrench won't fall off. A sharp bang downward with the hammer and the nut loosened.

I'm rather proud of this so it deserves a picture ... ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

The washer was completely missing on the HOT cutoff also. Replaced that.

Now to solve the clogged cold water line mystery without creating more problems. Would you believe a long piece of string trimmer line can be worked down all the way from the top of the faucet to the cutoff? There were no obstructions. Any clog HAD to be inside the cutoff or below.

START HERE

Tore the cold water cutoff valve apart again late last night (1 AM). Used phone camera flash to take pictures inside. The old washer had slipped off the end of the spindle, become hard as a rock, and fused to the inside of the valve. You had to cut it and dig it out with a dental pick. I'm stupid. Would never have found this without the camera.

upload_2023-9-24_13-47-27.png

Put in the new washer and there is cold water now.

Here's the best part

I put in this kitchen sink over 10 years ago. Afterwards the water pressure in the cold line was never as strong as the hot. I assumed it was because I banged the faucet putting it in, and put a slight kink in the copper line that comes from the bottom. I've been depressed about that for 10 years. :p

It was just a coincidence. That washer probably popped off at the same time I installed the sink. Instead of coming through the wide valve opening, water was coming only through the hole in the middle of the old washer. Now there is equal pressure in both the hot and cold after years. And no leaks around the faucet either.

I love solving puzzles like this, even if it takes 10 years. On to the sink at the mobile home this afternoon. I'm on a roll again.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    John Brunner and Joe Riley like this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

13. John Brunner

Congrats, Nancy. Your tenacity puts me to shame.

That story reminds me of a slow-running faucet on the laundry room double sink when I was a kid. It ended up being excess solder that had gotten in the line from one of the many frozen pipe repairs and made its way to the faucet. We had plumbers look at it and they could never figure it out. Most likely, the solder was still downstream and finally worked its way to where an 11 year old kid could get at it with needle-nose pliers. As you said, years of "living with it" resolved by a Eureka! moment.

Good luck at the trailer! There ain't nuthin' standard on those things. I still have no idea why thee are nubs on that drain pipe...

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

I am proud of you! I must say, taking the long break to let the steam come out your ears is the most important tool in any tough project.;)

Nancy Hart and John Brunner like this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm afraid my "roll" hit a rock early on this afternoon. The cut off valve for the entire mobile home isn't working properly. I can't fix that. All I could do was throw the breaker on the pump and drain the holding tank.

The kit didn't fit those valves out there. Surprise. Had to leave it that way until next time. I'm thinking of options. What you want to bet the pump won't ever come back on now?

The ceiling fan/light fixture in the living room hasn't been working. I was going to try and fix it or replace it. Turns out the only thing wrong was all 4 bulbs burned out roughly the same time. (Well duh!) So that job is done.