Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Satellite TV is back on !!!! .. (Bobcat Man ran over the line and broke it.) . [​IMG]

They had a kit with all the tools necessary, along with 10 connectors, on sale at Lowes. Now it's gone from the website completely. o_O It even has a little pouch you can fasten to your belt. :cool: :) :p

This might actually come in useful at the mobile home. I've been thinking about switching back to antenna. We only went to satellite so my mother could watch Braves baseball. TV is only used to cut on and off and make noise.

There is 50 feet of new line. It's only temporary. Might move the dish. The line can be buried up near the asphalt drive now, instead of under the gravel.

2. Nancy Hart

Registered

(9/29/23)
    Finally a breakthrough with the cat. I've left out wet food, broth, whatever soft I could think of, for 2 days. No dice. No eating at all for well over 48 hours. Vet said if she didn't eat in 48 hours to bring her in. Yeah, right.

Yesterday I put out 10 little pieces of dry cat food alongside of the wet. The vet told me absolutely DO NOT give any dry cat food. She ate it last night. This morning a couple tablespoons more. She swallows it whole I'm sure. Still not touching the wet food.

This is going to sound crazy but I think having the TV back on helped. She passed within 3 feet of me a few times since. It was so quiet here for 2 days it was like being in a strange house. I think I can catch her now.

The vet is supposed to call today to check. I'm tempted to tell her about the dry food. Better not, unless she asks specifically.

I know what they are worried about is hepatic lipidosis. It's life threatening quickly. But it happens when an overweight cat doesn't eat. The liver cannot handle sudden digestion of a lot of fat stores. I've never let this cat get overweight. They should know that. I remember stories of cats being caught inside walls for 2 weeks and surviving.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

Hello Cat
    Haven't seen you for a while
    Don't you miss me
    Interfering with your style
    And I'll bet you dread to spend
    Another stressful night with me
    But stubborn cat
    I'll keep you company

(whether you like it or not)

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

HAHAHA!:D

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

(9/29/23) Update on the cat for the record

Friday she walked by too close while I was sitting at the bottom of the steps with a dose of pain meds in pocket. :) Eight hours later she came for brushing, and got one more dose. She doesn't hate it and it actually helps. Will try to continue that through Monday.

Out from behind the couch now. Wolfing down dry cat food, as much as you give her. Still not touching wet. She forgets anything unpleasant I do to her, except walking toward her. She can't seem to judge the depth of water in a dish now. Paws the water then takes sips. ( What's that all about? ) At least she's drinking water.

I may try the preventative antibiotic, but once you start you should continue for 5 days. It's too late for the other pain killer. You were supposed to give her one pill/day for first 2 days. Instructions on mfg. label say not to give on an empty stomach. Glad I didn't now.

Finally, they want her back in 2 weeks. They seem obsessed with giving her a rabies shot. I'm pretty sure she got one at the Vet school in December, because that seemed to be the most important thing to them also. It could have been a 3 year shot. I'll try to find out. Maybe I can put it off until December, before they send the rabies police out. Large animal vets have always been great with the goats. I've often had bad experiences with dog/cat vets.

Buprenorphine 0.6 ml, every 12 hrs for 5 days (mfg label says every 8-12 hours)
    Veraflox, 1 ml daily, (5 days)
    Onsior 6 mg, daily, (2 tabs)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

Last week was hectic. The past 3 days, with no one around, have been like a vacation. :cool: Back to the yard work.

I thought they were just going to fill in with dirt around the fence. Casually mentioned that it was hard to mow. Big trucks and tree removal during wet weather several ( 8 ?) years ago caused deep trenches. But I'm glad they did it. They already had all the equipment to do it anyway. Some pictures.

Tuesday (9/26)

The final pile of dirt. Six loads. Not sure how big a load was. It's all big and fluffy when it comes, but usually packs down to nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By noon Wednesday, with a little pile of dirt they saved (for me :) ). We chose red clay because it fills in low spots well. Just a thin top layer in most places. Filling trenches with topsoil (a few years ago) didn't work well.

[​IMG]

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Seems like it has turned into a major project. So many workers involved.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

These are things I've always wanted to get done (some for years), and some things that had to be done, but it was so hard to find people to do them, each individually. He is able to get good people to work for him. I'm happy with it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

That's why it goes so fast and is so hectic once work starts.

I think this contractor gets good people to work for him right now, because he works along with them whenever he's free. He's not like a "boss man." But that only goes so far.

I find this "profession" interesting. Not many succeed. I doubt this man will. Depends too much on ups and downs in the economy. You would have to keep a steady stream of projects for your workers, or you'd lose them to someone else. Right now things are booming here. Construction all over the place.

The first general contractor I had experience with did the first roof job, and all the trim work on the house. His folks also did very good work, but he was VERY expensive. He became what my dad would call a "big shot." Only did commercial projects. I think he's retired now.

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I put an ad on craigslist to get someone to help clear the fence line this year and offered $25 an hour, which is pretty good for unskilled labor, I thought. Got lots of replies but not shows. Interesting.

Nancy Hart and John Brunner like this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

Would the job take more than a day?

A person who would be willing to take a one-day-only job would likely be a young man, maybe a high school student. He may not have the transportation to get to your place if you are out in the country. Or they may not think they have the equipment. I doubt it's the hourly rate as much as not being steady work. It's hard to write an ad asking for help. I've tried.

I live in town, so there are a lot of one-family lawn maintenance folks close by. May not be the case with you. But you might try calling one and see if they could recommend someone who works for them.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I know folks post this kind of stuff on the Next Door forum. I could not begin to tell you how to post such a thing...it's not an intuitive thing to use. But it's more like a regional/community thing where you'll be reaching small businesses who do that kind of work as well as the parents of teenagers who might want to pick up some bucks. In other words, people will encounter your request as they are on there chatting about other stuff.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

They put out rye grass seed and straw. The squirrels have been scouring the back yard, eating something, ever since. They always scour the yard anyway, but now there's nothing there to eat but seeds. Some came in the straw. I can't tell the difference.

[​IMG]

Best to buy more rye grass anyway, because it won't come up in some places. I'll put some out in a special spot first, and see if the squirrels show up there. Innocent until proven guilty.

They aren't cute anymore. I think it's because you can't see the pupils in their eyes. They look like they're deep in thought, plotting what sneaky destructive thing to do next.

upload_2023-10-3_3-30-25.png

Do they still sell paintball guns?

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Never thought of paint balls. Squirrels definitly eat seeds! They come for my chicken feed, bird seed...
    I am supporting most of the wildlife in the area.:mad: We have oak, black walnut and lots of other edibles. No need to eat my stuff!:confused:

Nancy Hart likes this.