Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Joe Riley I read that article (or one similar to it), and it seems that 1st generation hybrids are resilient, and the plant loses its resilience over subsequent generations. I did not see any discussions over these things dying off (or at least diminishing) in areas where they established a long time ago.

Nancy Hart and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was a kid I thought cattails were cool, so I wish they were (non hybrid) cattails. :) But I think now they are most likely American Bur-Reeds (Sparganium Americanum). Could be worse. Not toxic. I think I remember seeing these blossoms out there.

[​IMG]

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Nancy Hart said: "There is something call wild iris that looks like them. It is toxic."

About Our Native Irises
    [​IMG]
    Wild flag iris (Iris setosa) in a Southeast Alaska meadow. Photo by Jim Case, Sitka Ranger District.

"Bold and sassy or shy and reserved, irises greet us in springtime with spectacular, large, beautiful, eye-catching flowers. They exhibit a variety of colorful patterns and hues, from many shades of blue to violet, a pale delicate white or yellow, earthy tans and browns, to a flaunting copper-red, a stately deep maroon, and a brilliant yellow. Iris is depicted in mythology by a rainbow. These flowers of forest, meadow, and wetland live up to their mythical namesake. Our native irises are found in every state in the lower 48 and Alaska. Most of our irises are inhabitants of Pacific coastal areas and the southeastern states." READ MORE

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

Those are beautiful. Almost worth the trouble. I would have noticed the flowers.

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Registered

Out of the 25 cedar trees I planted around the fence, only 4 died. One of those was too close to the others to begin with. The plan was to remove every other one when they got bigger. The ones that looked stunted have perked up.

I found 3 growing next to the driveway in town to replace them. Offspring of the 7 mature ones. These were small, young, straight, not stressed due to being out of the soil for long periods. They are doing well. Didn't have to go traipsing through the woods looking for good ones.

One of the cedars has been in town for 2 years, transplanted twice. It is approx 5' tall already and has grown at least a foot since fall. Maybe it's growing too fast? All of them should take off next year.

upload_2024-7-20_10-0-59.png

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

The service department at the Ford dealer in town has a sketchy past. Sometimes they are fine, sometimes sneaky. For example, tacking "inspection" charges on your bill claiming a miscommunication.

Yesterday I tried to schedule an appointment for the recall on the Ranger, get the tailgate fixed, and install running boards. They have a website where you can pick a time, but you MUST also pick a service. "Recalls", "Fixing Tailgates", and "Running Boards" are not options, nor is "None of the Above." o_O:confused: I called the phone number direct to the service dept and no one answered. This gave me some time to overthink things think things over.

Installation of running boards is so easy---just screw 12 bolts into 12 already drilled and threaded holes in the rocker panel. (Do I hear my father's voice saying, "Never let anyone install running boards on your rocker panels."?)

It's another job that will be fun just to see if I can do it. The only thing that could go wrong is the holes don't line up correctly. I want to cut down on things that might make me angry. I get most angry when something unpleasant happens that I expected to happen, but went ahead with it anyway.

HOW TO INSTALL RUNNING BOARDS

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]
    "Must get running boards......!"

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

It might be a good thing I waited so long to fix this. Appointment is set up for Tuesday at Ford dealer. I tried to get these recall things taken care of earlier at two different Ford dealers (the one in town and the one where I bought the truck). I'm mainly interested in getting the removable back seat headrests. It has something to do with rear child safety seat connectors.

Earlier each dealer said they would first inspect the truck to see if it really needed the headrest replacements. Then they would order the parts to be installed on a second trip, if necessary. Now they say they will order the parts period. I might not have been able to get them earlier.

Especially since I also had a cat at that time.;)

Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

After the month-long drought, it started raining in town---8 of the next 10 days. A total of just over 4 inches according to my gauge. The weeds are now growing like weeds.

Started working on the fence yesterday afternoon. They recommend cleaning with a scrub brush first before you apply wood preserver or stain. (That AIN'T gonna happen. :rolleyes:) With all the rain it couldn't be very dirty. Loaded the sprayer with water, Dawn, and bleach, and sprayed the whole fence. I'll rinse it off with the hose if it doesn't rain. That will have to be good enough.

Got stung by a yellow jacket but couldn't find the nest. Those things are vicious. Tiny fire ant hills are starting to pop up. I'll have to mow the weeds first to find them. Put out some ant bait near the ones I could find. I have no confidence in that stuff. They say you should put out potato chips first to make sure the little worker ants are in the mood for carrying food to the queen. o_O

Von Jones, Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Ants & Chips......:confused:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

I've been pondering this potato recommendation since yesterday. How can the queen eat all those potato chips and still want ant bait? Then it hit me. You make the chips too large to get down the ant holes.

Then I found this. They do it more like Amish barn moving. But where are they taking it? :confused:

Von Jones, Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"They pass each other, like two Chips in the night!":rolleyes:

Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

[​IMG]

Maybe it's a race, and we just don't get it. Ant Olympic competition?

Von Jones and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Why do ants eat only the coating and not the whole chip?

"When ants eat the coating on a potato chip and leave the chip itself untouched, it's because they are primarily attracted to the oils and flavors present in the coating. The coating of a potato chip often contains seasonings, oils, and additives that provide a strong scent and taste, making it more appealing."

"Do Ants Eat Chips? Ants eat chips because it provides a good source of carbohydrate, salt, fats, and oils. Moreover, potato chips provide instant energy for performing activities and increase the growth rate. They have a high amount of starch and sodium. Many insects, including ants, like to eat salt and sweet food items as their bodies demand carbohydrates and salt, but they avoid eating spicy chips or those having a sour taste. Furthermore, you can prevent ants by placing bay leaves, baking soda solution, and spraying vinegar around the dish". ​

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
    Nancy Hart likes this.