Two Recent Deaths Of Acquaintances

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Don Alaska, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Two people died yesterday that were known to my family. One was Hobo Jim known as the Alaska Balladeer whose real name was James Varsos. He has lived in Alaska since 1972 but spent time Outside due to his music career. He was diagnosed in Nashville and died last night of stage 4 cancer. Here is the obit if anyone is interested.

The other death was the spouse of a coworker of my wife. He was in his mid-60s and a very active biker, hiker, and outdoorsman. He picked up his new bicycle yesterday and was excited so he was riding it home with his wife accompanying him in her car. She saw him fall over and ran to his side. He was still conscious and she called 911. He was taken to the hospital where he died of a massive heart attack. He was fully vaccinated but I don't know if that is relevant. I only mention it because if he hadn't been, Covid would have caused his death.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sorry of the loss of your friends, @Don Alaska . And you are right about the cause of death statement. My sister-in-law went to the hospital last month, they told her that she had pneumonia; but when she died, they called it covid. I am not sure whether she had been vaccinated or not. Some of her family said she was and others said she was not.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friends, Don. I had a spell a few years ago where there was a series of deaths of people close to me (one being the only decent sibling I had), but not on the same day as you experienced. It can be a sobering reminder.

On the other hand, a few of those friends were black, and in my rural county that community doesn't hold funerals, they have "Homecomings." It is truly faith in action. A celebration of Earthly lives lived and eternal lives begun, held in the short walk-down cellar of an old house converted to a funeral parlor...with "club music" being played as you walk in.

I would leave one service mildly depressed and the other uplifted & at peace.
    Hmmmmm.......

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

New Orleans style sounds like

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

:( sorry to hear of your loses Don

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. John Brunner

It's the opposite of what most of us know of funerals. I left the first one I attended thinking "That's what I want!"

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

No funeral for me, but they can dance and sing while distributing my ashes in the Gulf

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Condolences - sorry for the loss of your acquaintances.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry for ypur loss Don I just noticed this post.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The man I posted a while back who was piloting the aircraft that crashed has passed yesterday. Perhaps he and Lon will pass each other. The man was the most experienced pilot I know here, and there are many. He flew for the Air Force for many years and followed that with the Air National Guard until retirement. He also was a pilot for FedEx and flew around the world several times with them. He was also an experienced private pilot, and on one of our wilderness canoe trips with the scouts, he dropped the makings of ice cream sundaes on small parachutes from his plane after he located us and flew over.
    He will be missed by all of us in this community.

11. John Brunner

@Don Alaska I'm so sorry to hear of all this happening back-to-back. It's a cliché, but this stuff really seems to come in groups.

edit to add: I just read about Hobo Jim. Dude was only 68 years old. It no longer sounds as old as it used to...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

My youngest daughter text me this morning to tell of a close friend who died in her sleep last night. This is the third friend or close acquaintance in maybe 2 weeks. My Daughter is a stressed person anyway and this does not help.
    I know she worries about when I am gone or my husband whom she considers her dad.
    I make light of upcoming death because it is my way of dealing with something I have no control over.
    I do not do it a lot, but my hubby hates it when I do. Such as - if i am still here tomorrow,yeep I can do that.Just needed to get this out of my system.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

How old was your daughter's friend?

And as weird as it sounds, I'll spend time at this spot in the woods of my property just to be in a peaceful place:

Cemetary shaded.jpg

Cemetary sunny.jpg

14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@John Brunner - glad for you to have a peaceful place to go. I assume her friend and friends are in late late 40s to mid 50's. She is 52

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I feel bad for your daughter. I guess we all worry about our own death and the loss of others to one degree or another. But to be one of those folks who worries to that degree and then lose a friend out of the blue like that just adds fuel to the fire. And as you said, none of us have any control over it.

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.