Tyre Nichols

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

He was beaten before he ran, Cody. I think he ran in an attempt to save his life.

No, we're not. This guy might be a complete scumbag, I don't know. But this wasn't a simple traffic stop. First of all, this police squad wasn't created to enforce traffic laws, and, if it were a traffic stop, we'd have heard something like, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" or "May I see your driver's license and proof of insurance, please."

We didn't see that. Instead, they dragged him out, while he was protesting, "I didn't do anything." and they started beating him. He managed to get away, and they chased him down and beat him to death.

Regardless of who this guy was or what he may or may not have done, he didn't deserve to be beaten to death by a gang of thugs in uniform.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I just don't know, Ken. There just seems to be things missing from body cams and what actually happened at the scene. What I'd like to hear is what the officers have to say about what happened.

3. Mitchell Hartwig

Mitchell Hartwig Well-Known Member
    Registered

And this is why we wait.

If it goes to trial, their attorneys will make sure to tell us why it was at least marginally OK. And then we can decide how much to believe.

BTW, I agree with Ken's assessment that he was running to save his life. They had already begun on him, and after a bit he saw a chance to go, and he did.

It was either die there, or die in another place, it looked like to me.

Ruby Begonia and Admin like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

After reading this article and reviewing all the videos I could find, I think this article breaks it down accurately.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk...-showing-fatal-beating-tyre-nichols-rcna67710

I also want to point out that in the trials, it will be established what blows led specifically to his death. I am guessing based on the video that the kick to the head and the baton to the head and those delivering those blows may face 1st-degree murder if a motive can be established such as the officer delivering the fatal head blows was the one whose wife was involved sexually with Tyre if in fact that can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

I expect at least one may be charged with 1st degree and at least two others with 2nd. I also think if justice is served several including the Sheriff's deputies with be charged with manslaughter. Any officer on the scene, even those standing back, will be charged with at least negligence in rendering aid. All of these charges should cost them all their jobs with prison sentences ranging from 20 years to life.

Under Tennesse law, a 1st-degree murder charge possibly can be established and rendered for at least one officer if not all. This had to be premediated as there is no evidence to support the actions of the first officer getting out of his car with his gun drawn and yelling obscenities at Tyre when he stopped legally at a stop with his blinker on indicating a legal turn and seemed surprised at the officer being out of control.

At this point, it sure reeks of premeditation and a gang mafia-style killing. It is apparent to me that the head kicks and baton were meant to kill.

Tennessee First-Degree Murder (findlaw.com)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I read that he died of kidney failure and internal bleeding.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That is the preliminary cause issued to establish the justification for 2nd degree murder charges to all 5, but it will be discussed if he could have been saved had the head blows not happened that resulted in a broken neck and brain swelling.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sure it will all be considered, but as far as I read, that was what the coroner determined as the cause of death. Seems to me that most of those blows could have killed a person.

My husband and I were talking about what his life would have been like had he survived. Likely brain-damaged and paralyzed.

Ruby Begonia and Faye Fox like this.
  8. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree! He was as good as dead at the scene when they finally loaded him up. I understand that two paramedics were also fired and may have charges against them. The only autopsy report released so far is an independent one requested by the family and the state one hasn't been released yet and no doubt was done by a legal pathologist whose testimony will hold up in court.

A bit more "possible" evidence may have surfaced today that officer Demetrius Haley's ex-wife was having an affair with Tyre and this murder was premeditated. This has yet to be confirmed by the DA or police. Only time will tell.

10. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Does anyone know if the deceased's first name was pronounced "tire" or "tie-REE"?

11. Ken Anderson

Yeah, I hear they spent most of their time trying to figure out what drugs he was on rather than even assessing, let alone treating, his substantial injuries. Paramedics and EMTs are sometimes intimidated or drawn into whatever attitude the police have toward their patients, and there's no good excuse for that.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Departure here...

Did you ever seen "Training Day"?

It was inspired by this real-life guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_PĂ©rez_(police_officer)

13. Ken Anderson

@Mitchell Hartwig, no I haven't seen the movie (or documentary), but was vaguely familiar with this guy, another reason why the power (not the funding) of the police should be severely curtailed. They should be examples to the public, not given carte blanc to do whatever they want.

14. Ken Anderson

The fact that we're not being given a lot of information at this point shouldn't be considered unusual. People are being charged, and others may be charged, so it's only appropriate that much of the information will be saved for the trials.

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ditto!