Tyre Nichols

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Mitchell Hartwig

Mitchell Hartwig Well-Known Member
    Registered

This is interesting, Ken.

One of the things I've come to grips with is that the police are by law, *above* the law in certain situations. I don't mean in the sense that they are excused by behind-the-scenes chicanery, but more that they are lawfully armed, and legally empower to *kill* in certain situations.

These rights are not commonly shared by non-police officers in most states in the US, nor is the charter to use weapons as broad for civilians as it is for the police.

I take this to be a matter of fact--a part of the social environment in which I've lived for a L-O-N-G time. Daily what it means, like it or not, is that a policeman could *kill* me, at his discretion. Because of this irreversible fact, I am VERY, VERY careful around the police.

And I concede that being white makes it much easier. Some years back, trying to get as objective as I could, I came to the conclusion that with my personality type, were I a young black man, I might easily be killed.

2. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Ouch!

Grim as this sounds, it would explain why he called for his mother.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

What I saw on video would be consistent with a personal beat-down--a vendetta.

And if Nichols had been on the streets since young and up to 29, and this happened near his home, as I understood it did, fair chance the cops know him, and he them.

Still don't know and too early to tell, unless you work for The Atlantic.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I watched another video from a civil rights attorney whose client was a bar owner whose business was shut down after a uniformed cop showed up outside of his bar ranting and raving, threatening people, shoving them, and even firing his weapon, at what, I don't know. He threatened the bar owner to have his bar shut down. He was angry because his wife was apparently drinking at the bar. The guy was acting like an insane person, and he was in uniform at the time. When other cops showed up, he was screaming at them, and shoved them several times, way out of control.

Indeed, the bar was shut down because of the disturbance, despite the fact that the disturbance was entirely on the part of the cop, and it was all personal. The cop was suspended without pay and probably fired by now, as he was charged for shoving his wife. He wasn't charged with assaulting the bar owner or any of his fellow cops. But the bar was shut down.

Most cops wouldn't do this, but police departments don't always hire the best people, and the job sometimes attracts people who are bullies or worse. Or maybe the job turns them into that. In the absence of a public outcry or media exposure, they can indeed get away with pretty much anything, which is why we routinely see them cruising down the roads, with no lights or siren, at speeds that anyone else would be ticketed for.

When I was a paramedic, I knew cops who thought nothing of going out to the bar and driving home yet, at the same time, they would speak of civilians driving drunk as low-life scum.

Clearly, these kinds of cops are not representative of police everywhere, but there are too many of them and they usually get away with it.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

It is making more sense if this is true. I didn't see these videos till a few minutes ago sure did change my take on things. If I was screwing around ith a cop's wife, I wouldn't get out of the car either. That is IF of course not saying he was.

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This is what I was saying possibly in time maybe one of the officers will be charged with 1st degree. I still say there is something big we don't know because of all the officers on the scene. There were at least 7 maybe 9 but just the 5 were involved in the beating.

I remind everyone of the Border Patrol horseback officers that were accused of beating illegal crossers with their horse reins. The video shown by the media looked damning to those that know little about riding horses. When the truth came out, no criminal trespassers were beaten. None! But still no apology from either Biden or the media. Videos are great but careful analysis is required by experts that can see every angle. This is why in sports we see so many instant reviews.

Did one officer do most of the beating? I can't tell from the video. This will be important to know before the officers are individually tried. I think we know very little at this point and we are all at the mercy of the media.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

...and yet there were *multiple* police cars at that point.

Yep, they sure did just jerk him right straight our of the car at that point, no doubt about it. Started the beat-down, immediately.

Does this suggest to you, that will all the other police cars around, sheriff's officers even (if correct), all potential witnesses, and yet apparently no one intervened, at all, that most of them recognized that there had been some sort of serious provocation offered, perceived or real?

Note that this *does not* exculpate the police, but we need a fuller picture than is given.

Sure enough, if the police were in the wrong, I'll acknowledge it. But the story we're getting right now is irrational. There certainly appears to be more to it than what we've seen.

...and yet the news is somewhat orchestrated to only one right answer, it looks to me.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Marie, can you please point toward the best, most complete videos you've seen?

The more different direct views the better.

I don't like arbitrary police violence either, but we've go to know the full picture as best we can.

In my judgement, ever since Trayvon Martin we've been manipulated to believe only one thing: police = bully; suspect =underdog. There can be no more doubt of this than there can be of a #metoo accusation.

Ken Anderson and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

My impression was that there were the five, who were charged, that were initially on the scene, while others arrived later.

10. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Maybe of value, but I've learned to mistrust social media devotees in places like reddit, Twitter, etc.

People looking for 15 minutes of fame, really,

11. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Multiple cars, I assume?

12. Ken Anderson

Oh yeah, there were a lot of police cars there by the end of the videos. There were at least a few cars involved during the stop, apparently, which seems odd if it were a simple traffic stop. These are the things that lead to speculation, of course.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

I have totally turned around on this one, at least 10 cops standing around as he keeps falling over hitting his head and not a one helps him!:mad::mad::mad::mad:. Proof things isn't always as they seem. I hope if the wife was messing around with Nichols she is finally " satisfied". horrible how 10 men can be this heartless.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Mitchell Hartwig

Registered

Right.

And so long as everyone understands that this is *speculation* and not a statement of fact, that's normal.

Ken Anderson and Marie Mallery like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Go to Savage Nation scroll down to Nichols story then video.
    https://michaelsavage.com/

Five Memphis Police Officers Charged with Murder for Death of Tyre Nichols

Beth Gallagher likes this.