Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

We've only had one of significance and it really didn't amount to an awful lot. We've been very lucky so far.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This was a tough one. We got about six inches of snow last night, and it was wet heavy snow. I was only able to do the necessities, such as digging the cars out, some roof raking, using a roof rake rather than getting up on the roof, and cleaning off the back porch and a path to it, since that's where much of the snow coming off the metal roof goes. I just finished up what had to be done, and now it's snowing again.

Our power has been going off and on since sometime last night, due to the heavy, sticky snow that accumulates on the lines, probably, and I hope that doesn't continue, given that it's snowing again.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

We had a lot of melting the last couple days except today so the roads got pretty sloppy and made a mess out of the car. The sun we had melted the quarter inch of ice in the drive way thankfully. At least we are not snow bound anymore.

4. Ken Anderson

The weather forecasts are saying that it's supposed to be raining right now but it's snowing pretty heavily. It must be just below freezing.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My weather channel app shows almost all of Maine covered in heavy snow right now, so I do not know what your weatherman is looking at.

6. Ken Anderson

That was from weather.com for Millinocket, and it made sense, given that the temperatures were above freezing. I'm sure it's cooled off now that the sun has gone down, but it's also quit snowing.

7. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

We had only rain in southern ME

8. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Nice sunny day here.... Temp in the middle 50s...never had any snow for the last 10 years...rain forecast for the week-end.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Snowing of and on all morning here, with temps just at freezing. It was snowing quite heavily a couple hours earlier, but has settled to just flurries. A couple inches of accumulation.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Ugh, snow! No big snowfalls recently, but we have been getting 6 -10 inches every day since last Friday and it is getting to be an issue. It was fairly dry snow until today, and today's' snow is wet as the temps are near freezing. I am struggling to keep the driveway open and our dirt road hasn't been plowed today, although they have been doing a pretty good job this year so far with plowing. The wife called and said she struggled to get onto the main highway--took her three running starts. The main highways of course are well-maintained. If it keeps up, I will have to get the roof rakes out and clear at least the greenhouse roofs. The house can take quite a snow load, but the outbuildings aren't as sturdy. We are moving into the snowiest part of the year (traditionally), but I hope I get a break soon.

11. Ken Anderson

A couple of days ago, I was in southern Maine and the temperatures were in the low 60s. Now it's snowing heavily.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Several feet on the ground here, but it has warmed to above freezing during the day, so it is slowly melting a bit without causing flooding yet. I have to stay on the beaten paths or I am over my waist in the snow, but it appears we have turned the corner (which usually occurs at the beginning of March) so we are on the long, slow slide into summer.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

As the forecast said, we did get several inches of snow here in northern Alabama last night. It is 28 (feels like 16) right now, and supposed to warm up to 34. If it gets above freezing the snow will try to melt, but we have a low of 17 tonight, so there is a good chance it might not melt until tomorrow.
    I do not think that we have seen snow in March here before, although it was quite common for snow in March and April when I lived in Idaho.

Bobby said this winter has been colder than usual for us. I know it felt that way to me, but thought it was probably just my cold intolerance getting worse. I am looking forward to the warmer spring weather coming back again !

Don Alaska and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know if it's us (age) or just normal northern CO weather, but this winter has been awfully cold to us. Then again, at the beginning of last month (Feb), we had a morning when it was -12 degrees. Now, that is most definitely too cold for us!

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Maybe some of both for you as well, @Cody Fousnaugh . It seems like we have had a colder winter than usual, and my family in Idaho have been saying the same thing about the winter out there.
    Definitely , my internal thermostat does not do its job of keeping my body warm or cool, like it is supposed to do, and like it actually did (once upon a time).

A week or so ago, we had a couple warm days in the 80’s, which was nice, and I was hoping that we were finally leaving winter behind, but it appears it plans on going out kicking and screaming.
    I can understand your problem with not wanting to keep living in that cold of a climate, and still being in an area where you want to enjoy life, and hoping you can find a suitable place to move to, Cody.

Don Alaska likes this.