Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Well you guys cab keep your cold weather...we're ant 40 degrees right now with a little light rain

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It's snowing now with 4 to 8 inches predicted. It looks like 4 inches now so we ought to get 1 or 2 more by the end which should be in about 2 hours. Out will come the snow thrower and I will get to work. The worst part is where the town pushes the snow with the plow. Good thing I can do it now because it will drop into the teens overnight.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Welcome to winter, @Yvonne Smith, however short....:) We still have several feet on the ground, but I am hoping that things will begin to thaw soon.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We got nearly 3" surprise inches this morning, but it didn't really stick to the roads. The big issue was the wind, especially west of me in the mountains. There were white-out conditions for a couple of hours. Now we're gonna hit 12°F tonight.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

A little further north, we have heavy, wet snow, that's making a mess out of everything.

Don Alaska and Al Amoling like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

We've had snow the past couple of days but it isn't staying on the ground. The snow on the ground is mostly gone now.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have had snow falling since yesterday, but it has mostly turned to slush on the roads. That which is falling on the foot or so of snow on the ground is making the dirty areas clean again.

Faye Fox and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We have some small vestiges of snow here. But as I have some cloud grey chickens, every once in a while one of the small piles MOVE.:)

Faye Fox, Don Alaska and Alan Sidlo like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Very windy currently. This coming Saturday our high is suppose to be 77. I told my wife that we should go over to our boat, take off the full cover and get things out of the boat we put in (using the inside (cockpit/cuddy cabin) of the boat for storage of a few things). Then, I read that next week forecasters are calling for 1-3 inches of snow.

Since we like having the full cover on our boat during the winter months (snow), guess we won't do the boat this Saturday.

For the last couple of years, our last snow of the winter was at Easter Weekend. However, we also know that the last snow can actually come on Mother's Day Weekend. We've seen up to 6 inches on that weekend.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

It rained all day yesterday and the day before. Today, it's not raining but, if there were precipitation, it would be snow. It is cold today, and a pickup truck parked in front of the town hall was covered in snow. We are at the base of Mount Katahdin, so I suppose the truck had come from the higher elevations just north of here, where they probably had two days of snow while we had rain. So, it looks like summer is over.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, it’s over.
    Not that we get a lot of snow but it went from me being outside without a shirt to freezing over night.
    It was in the mid to upper 70’s all last week and this week we’re going from the high 20’s to the mid 40’s and me in long underwear and winter coat.

The only plus side of it is that theoretically, the cold helps activate brown fat in a person which helps burn other stored fats. But again, it’s a theory and in all the years I’ve had my brown fact activated I haven’t lost a single pound of white fat because of it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

No snow here yet, nary a flake, but this is the 3rd time this month the forecasters have threatened such. I have spent around 50 years of my life in deep snow country, so living down here where it rarely snows should make up for the few days it does. Be that as it may, I still get grumpy about snow if it builds enough requiring me to run a shovel. I don't mind light dry snow, because I can blow it off my patio and drive with my high-powered battery blower.

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not good enough Faye.
    Now, if one were to emulate Tim the Tool Man, ya might think of hooking up a 427 Ford engine to that blower and really get the job done! ar-ar-arg.

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Every overnight low for the 10 day forecast is gonna be in the 20s/high teens, yet there's rain forecast for tomorrow during the day. That's how it often works here...you freeze your butt off, and when precip clouds come in they warm things up to above freezing. When I lived in Richmond and the DC region forecast was for snow, Richmond would almost always get a cold rain or sleet, with the rare exception. Being 100 miles south makes enough of a difference.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I showered this morning and put on my lined jeans. This is a big deal because I don't take them off till late March. I am keeping my brown fat!