Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I guess we had quite a party going on throughout the area yesterday. I didn't participate since I didn't need to go out. MANY minor car accidents--mostly fools driving too fast for conditions. It seems that many here feel that if you have 4-wheel drive and studded tires, the laws of physics don't apply to you.

It is reported that the access to the local hospital was closed due to drifts over 5 feet, and volunteers with snowmachines/snowmobiles and sleds were used to transport patients to the ER. I know the hospital applied for a special access to the hospital when nearby roundabouts were built, but state DOT refused the request. My son loss a shed to the wind; I have heard of any more damage among friends or family members.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Our snow was gone but it snowed, not hard, but most of the night last night, and, I see that it has stopped now, but it's snowed off and on all day. Nothing horrible, and not even anything that required shoveling, except to avoid someone getting their feet wet.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hubby has a saying. 4 wheels can skid twice as well as two.:rolleyes:
    We had a dusting of wet snow last night and then as I was driving a mist was freezing on my windshield. So fine I hadn't noticed it when I started out. But it warned me of what was on the road.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Maine, or at least Millinocket, is strange. We're in the middle of Maine, where we can reasonably expect to get snow every year, yet at the first reasonably-sized snow that we get each year, as well as the second and may the third one, everything will close as if they've never seen white stuff before and don't know what to do about it. We had snow for a couple of days, then some rain, and today we've had sleet, but it's still no trouble driving around. A little slippery but neither of us has had trouble driving around. In fact, my wife put a couple of hundred miles on her car today. I could drive over the snow we had in the driveway, and didn't even have to shovel, yet the schools, the library, and the town office are closed. Businesses are open, of course, because they need customers in order to stay in business, but government and tax-funded places are all closed because they get paid either way. At some point, we settle into the snow, and things stay open even in far worse conditions than they're closing for today.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Today is MLK Day, so schools and town offices are probably closed to observe the holiday. Ours are.

OT Alert: I see the mega-billion winner was from Maine. Is there anything you'd care to share?? :D

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

I think our entire black population (one person) moved, but you're probably right.

I wish, but since I don't buy tickets, I wasn't expecting to be a winner.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just a dusting of snow here. With daytime temps warming up again into the high 30s/low 40s with rain/flurries, we're going stay wet and salty.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

OK, maybe it was @Al Amoling . :D

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

That's probably why he hasn't been here for a couple of days. He's too rich for the rest of us, now.

10. Ken Anderson

One nice thing about Millinocket is that more than half of the pickup trucks in town have plows on them and I am unlikely to have to shovel my whole driveway before someone comes along and plows it for me. Often, these are people I don't even know or who I recognize from around town but have never spoken to before. As often as not, they simply plow the driveway and leave so I don't even have a chance to say thanks, other than to wave at them.

We had a lot of snow a few days ago. It was followed by rain, which was followed by a hard freeze, so I wasn't able to get much of it shoveled. Today, it has warmed up enough to turn everything into slush interspersed with places that were still solidly frozen. So I was trying to at least smooth out the ruts so that they didn't freeze that way when someone (this time someone I knew) came along and finished the job for me.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

12. Ken Anderson

1-27-23-146-front1.png 1-27-23-146-front2.png 1-27-23-146-drive.png
    Our last snow was followed by freezing rain, which was followed by a couple of days of freezing weather so it looks like this is going to be here for a while. I used to shovel the whole driveway, including a parking space in the back where cars could be turned around, as well as paths to just about everything. In my old(er) age, I drive the car back and forth through the snow before it freezes hard, packing it down that way, rather than shoveling the drive, and I only make the paths that are absolutely necessary.

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

No snow here I may have sen the last snow of my lifetime since we live i the south, but who knows. I think the winter wonderland is beautiful but only for a visit.

14. Ken Anderson

Where's Algore when I need him? I was promised global warming a long, long time ago. I'm tired of winter and sick of shoveling snow, yet it's snowing pretty heavily here right now. Oh, to be sure, I've seen worse but the flakes are large and I think it's going to be a mess tomorrow.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It snowed some overnight, but I don't think much fell. I am really ready for the turn in the weather that normally happens around the beginning of March. It doesn't stop snowing usually, but it gets warmer and is pleasant to be outside. We still have several feet of snow and I cannot get to my other greenhouses easily. Maybe our sons will come out and pack some trails with snowmobiles so we can walk the property without skis or snowshoes...which I am too old to use easily.