Ugh, Snow

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

He's been pretty quiet since inventing the internet and the "al-gore-rythm." :p

[​IMG]

Krystal Shay and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

now that's funny

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

All the talk about the ice being thin in the arctic. You have to realize that Biden just dropped a car onto the ice from 40,000feet and the ice didn't break. Doesn't sound thin to me.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Wow, I just saw the snow forecast for Maine. I hope you have your shovel ready, @Ken Anderson !

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For accuracy, I usually cut the predictions in half and that usually works, although sometimes, perhaps by accident, they are correct. At least it's a weekend so there are no dire needs to get out early in the morning. My wife is driving for a senior program that provides free transportation for seniors in need of it, so I usually have clear the way for her by 8:00 am and sometimes before, which is problematic for someone who gets to bed around 2:00 or 3:00 am.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm here all week, Chris!! :D:D

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I saw a prediction for 16 inches for northern parts of Maine, but it may be less where you are.

8. Ken Anderson

What they predict for us is more often accurate for what the far northern part of the state will actually get. A couple of hours north makes a big difference.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Same here. We have had some pretty scary predictions. This week we were supposed to get 7 inches but only got three. That earlier polar express had me freaking out and it did come for a bit. But all the chickies are alive and the snow keeps melting off in one of the warmest and weirdest weather years.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

After a descent weekend, this weekend, and a couple of nice days (Monday/Tuesday) of next week, the bottom drops out on Wednesday and we go in the "Freezer" with some snow that day.

We are really getting tired of Old Man Winter and are most definitely looking forward to moving out of it. There are Seniors that can handle Old Man Winter and those that can't and we've become "those that can't" anymore. It's affecting my shoulder osteoarthritis more and more as well as my wife's hands. We're just glad, extremely, we rent an apartment and not have to try and sell a house. We've already "been there, done that" on a house we were buying back in 2007.

11. Ken Anderson

As it turns out, so far at least, it's cold but we didn't get much in the way of new snow.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We were supposed to get 6-9 inches, but so far very little but it is snowing now.

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Feb 22nd and it is snowing here in the Pacific Northwest banana belt and not just a skiff either. So far it has laid down a couple of inches. I am going for another cup of coffee and then a hot chocolate with whipped cream piled high like the Matterhorn.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  14. Ken Anderson

It's a beautiful - although somewhat chilly - day here today but they're talking about more snow coming soon. The last snow warnings never came about, though. I'm at the base of Mount Katahdin, and there is something about the mountains here that results in the really heavy snowstorms sometimes jumping over us, where they'll have a crapload of snow both north and south of us, but we might just get a regular winter snowfall. Of course, none of this means that we're always spared.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

We had a fair amount of snow last night and all day today, but it was pretty easy to deal with. In my old age, rather than shoveling the driveway, whenever possible, I just drive over it a bunch of times and pack it down, although I still have the walkway to deal with, as well as a path to the car because my wife has a thing about walking through the snow to get to her car.

Don Alaska likes this.