Unbelievable True Stories, Of Mine And Yours

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Jake Smith, Oct 18, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's something, it explains a lot of why they kept the place alive too. In towns like that everyone knows everyone. I've never been to Australia and only saw it in movies, and think it's a nice place from what I've seen. I was born in a small town in South Carolina, and we knew everyone too. The movie Crocodile Dundee was in Australia. My father saw it before he passed and he liked that movie. I've never been much for cities I'm more of a country person, I would probably like it there.

The photo in the link you put up the Bells Milk Bar, is all fancied up.

[​IMG]

This is quite interesting to me.

In the early 1900s it was known as Longmans, and Minnie Pearl (Pearly) Longman survived her husband John who was killed in the first world war. She later remarried Les Bell Senior. Their son, Les Bell, and his wife Mavis are the proprietors most people remember today.

Pearly Bell dramatically altered the shop expanding the interior in 1938, and when she passed the business on to Les and Mavis in 1953, it was not long before Les followed in his mother’s footsteps, drastically altering the design in 1956, and this is largely how the site remains today.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Kate Ellery likes this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Registered

I don't like cities either , I’ve lived in SA since 1971 ( we) hubby and I live two hours drive away from Adelaide ( capital city of SA)

USER=2730]@Jake Smith[/USER]

BH which I think I’ve mentioned before is in New South Wales but it’s only 45 Km from the very isolated border town SA / NSW (Cockburn) which was a thriving railway town settlement of mainly railway workers back when I was young ….long ….long ago :)

However BH is the ONLY town in New South Wales that gos by South Australian time….. NSW is 1/2 hour ahead of SA time

I’ll look up a link for a movie for you that shows allot of Broken Hill as allot of the movie was made in BH as was many of the Mad Max movies .

THIS … movie is a full box of tissues type of movie, story about a taxi driver who was born and lived in BH all his life. ( When Rex, a Broken Hill cab driver, is told he doesn't have long to live, he sets out on an epic journey to Darwin in a bid to die on his own terms.)

It’s been a while since I seen it however I think it also shows Bells milk bar in the film
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3680410/

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  4. Jake Smith

Registered

Thanks, Kate, I will check it out. :)

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We are always looking for a good not too violent no agenda movie to watch.

Mary Stetler and Jake Smith like this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

Make sure you have a full box of tissues ,it’s a good story ….not only about Rex but his relationship
    with a indigenous lady who lived on the other side of the street to Rex @Marie Mallery

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Kate, I also saw this one about a lost dog, true story. Have you seen it?

Mary Stetler and Jake Smith like this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Registered

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

We just watched it and really enjoyed it.Kinda of reminded me of Hatchi, Kate have you seen that one ,it was also a true story. And the dog has a statue in town like Red Dog does.

Jake Smith likes this.
  10. Kate Ellery

Registered

Oh yes that one qualifies for Two boxes of tissues ….RG played a good role on that ( it was on Netflix that we have )
    From memory the dog waited 9 years outside the train station in sun / snow for his owner who had Suddenly passed away.
    Actually I believe the “real owner” that RG played was Japanese @Marie Mallery

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yes he was Japanese and there is also a good bio on the real story of the Japanese man Hachi was based on. I agree two boxes of tissue.

Jake Smith likes this.
  12. Jake Smith

Registered

I will take the time to finish the story of my father's cousin DA, and how he died. He always walked or caught a ride everywhere he went, and there was a game warden who he never saw eye to eye with, and who was always messing with him.
    DA would be walking and Pluto, the game warden would pull over and harass him, and old DA had to be pulled off him more than once, and one time almost choked Pluto to death, they said DA had his windpipe pulled several inches away from his throat, and if they hadn't pulled him off him, he would be dead.
    Long story short, Pluto ended up shooting and killing DA on side of the road one day, But I never forgot him up until today, he was a little like the guy who said, I like ketchup on mine George. Of Mice And Men, "Movie" 1939.

Kate Ellery and Marie Mallery like this.