Vaccine?

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Betty Johnstone, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for sharing that. They told us we were free to leave and look for aid somewhere and as scared as I was I wanted to. But there is a part of me that couldn't see turning my back on patients and families who were gonna need my services in order to survive their time in our hospital. I'm no nurse. I'm just a food service worker. But if we had all quit they'd have been up a creek because everybody is on unemployment somehow and making more than we are getting pd. I think it takes balls to show up to a job every day and face the possibility that today might be the day you get covid and it snuffs out your life. All in the name of duty. If that's how the good Lord wants me to go out then that's what I'll do.

Faye Fox and Ed Wilson like this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, that is Mr. H's point. He did what he does before the vaccine and like yourself, medical workers, truckers, etc., he and you were considered a hero for risking your life to help others. Now if you don't get the vaccine, they are threatening to take away your livelihood and making you a criminal quilty of making others suffer, even murder.

For me it isn't about whether or not the vaccine is really doing anything, it is about a double standard and the taking away of freedom. The experts have admitted that getting the vaccine will not keep you from getting it and also have no effect on your spreading it, so how can this be a valid reason for taking away a person's livelihood? All the vaccine does is lessen the effects of the virus.

I think @Shirley Martin made a good point that many are seriously ill that wish they had tried the vaccine, but then again this variant (man-made IMO) is defying the current vaccines. Will the booster help lessen the effects of the delta variant? Who knows, but what we do know is that it or any vaccine that is available will not stop the spread of this virus. Masks have failed to even slow the spread, vaccines have failed, so why not try to help increase the availability of sanitizing alcohol and use some government funds to make sure every home and every business has a hand sanitizing station that must be used before entry and when leaving. Forget the mask and forget the vaccine and use my hand sanitizing regimen and the virus will disappear from the earth in 30 days or less. Well that is except for the labs where they are sequencing and mutating new variants.

Whether or not to get the vaccine is a decision that only you should make guided by your doctor and your God. No one else should have the power or even a say and no way should any penalties be imposed on you for your decision.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, as long as the virus keeps spreading, people who are not vaccinated will be, without a doubt, blamed for it. There are those out there that no longer wear a mask, but also haven't got vaccinated yet either. They were just waiting for local, state and Federal government to say "masks aren't needed anymore" and take them off.

This virus is still spreading! There are those that didn't get vaccinated, getting the virus, end up in ICU on a ventilator and perhaps dying. Way, way to many unvaccinated people are saying, "please get vaccinated" as they lay in ICU trying to cope with the virus.

Yes, people want their "freedom of choice", but when that "freedom of choice" endangers others, or themselves, what's next????

Ed Wilson and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Good points, Mr Fousnaugh. What's next? Responsibility is next. When you don't care if you have a variant and can transmit it to others
    or will expose others to this plague, then you must take responsibility for your actions. Some of thise actions ought to be and will
    be soon if this keeps dragging on is: You need the shot to shop for groceries, for buying a new set of tires, for visiting a relative in
    the hospital witgh a heart ttack or any other illness, for getting out of the house and off your property. Talking about freedoms. Otheers
    have freedoms too. Freedom from anyone careless enough to willfully spread a sickly ordeadly virus.

Talk about freedoms. Majarity rule. Kids need shots to get into school. We need to be licensed to drive a car, to hunt deer. This after all is
    not the thirteen colonies. We've grown up and interchanges with each other need to be amended as we bump in to problems. We're a nation of many peoples. We say to folks when we don't like them or don't like what they say, "Go back to where you came from. Folks could say the same to you or me. It's their home too. This is not a popular approach to some. It may never happen. But freedom has its limits, too. We can't always think about only me.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

According to my doctor visit this morning what is next is two more variants and the virus and all variants will burn out in two years max. It will probably burn out next year. She showed me the sequencing charts for the original, the delta, and the two to come. After the last one, the 3rd variant, the virus will have no way to replicate and will disappear. While I understand this science somewhat, it is clear to me that this is the way it is coming down like it or not.

The mask helps mostly because people DO NOT WIPE THEIR NOSES WITH THEIR FINGER. as much. She says if people sanitized like I do, there would be fewer ICU cases and deaths. The vaccine helps only the people getting it. It does nothing to stop the spread except lessen the illness and time they can infect others. Again the vaccine only helps the one receiving it. If everyone had the vaccine it would make a difference in hospitalizations and deaths, but not eliminate it. People in remote places or people that are super sanitary probably have no reason to get the vaccine.

The booster may help against the variant, but that isn't known yet. I am getting it because of my immune system and the danger of this variant. The original vaccine will probably not be effective against the 2 almost certain coming variants. Scientists are working on developing vaccines for the two coming variants. Again vaccines and boosters help only the vaccinated and may help others indirectly by shorting sick time. If a medical worker is down one week instead of two then that helps but not as some advertise that you are saving lives. Don't pin on your hero's badge because you have your vaccines, that was for you and a discussion to be had with a nonpolitical doctor. My doctor is 100% scientific with her decisions and has no problem showing you why.

She was really down today because just this morning she lost two long-time patients (with no other issues) to the variant. Neither had been vaccinated.She is considering not seeing anyone in person not vaccinated. All 6 in ICU today of her patients had refused vaccination. I have never seen her like this. She made it clear that she doesn't like losing patients and those unwilling to follow her advice may be seeking a new PCP.

What I want to share with you here is don't get your vaccines because you think you are saving others' lives, do it for yourself. If you chose not to then be extra sanitary. it is your life. Don't think that mask do any good if you don't use alcohol on your hands several times a day if around others. I still support one right to keep their job if they don't get vaccinated. They are no more dangerous or likely to spread than one that is vaccinated.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

With some things, I just don't believe in "freedom" or "choice", because many people will make the wrong choice and the word "freedom" is taken way to loosely. IOW, many people will say "I want the freedom and choice to do whatever I want to and say whatever I want to". That is so wrong!

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

And then there are those of us who never (or rarely) put them on, and are healthy, happy, and unafraid.

Clearly, no one is taking any of that seriously, or they'd control our borders and follow the rules that they would impose on the rest of us themselves.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

This is like banging your head against the wall.

-The Vaccinated can still get sick and can still spread this.
    -The Unmasked Vaccinated can be infected yet have no or little symptoms
    -The Unmasked Vaccinated can be infecting others and not even know they are sick

(Those last 2 depend on your belief in that cloth or drywall masks can stop a virus.)

This is not a difference of opinion, it's a scientific fact.

9. John Brunner

Have you not looked at the facts regarding how many vaxed people are getting this, especially Delta variant?
    Do you not understand that the vaxed can get sick & spread this, so they should not be unmasked?

Jim Brown, Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Where do you get the authority to determine what is right?

Jim Brown, Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Registered

If this keeps ongoing, none of us know if and when it will be safe to forego masks and move freely among
    each other and about the country with out becoming ill. Hopefully in two years this all will pass. What I ‘m thinking this may be an annual event or happening.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

I agree we can count on this happening again.

13. Ken Anderson

As long as the virus is giving people the rewards they want from it, we can bet it will continue to be portrayed as a big deal. Once the rewards go away, it will be treated like any of the other viruses we've dealt with.

Don Alaska and Teresa Levitt like this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

Maybe, maybe not. And what are the rewards for an old cougar like myself? I get to stay alive a little longer? O what?

15. Ken Anderson

Rewards aren't for common people. The ones who benefit from this virus are those who intend to control us. Well, I suppose the masks have been a boon for people who don't like brushing their teeth, or putting them in, whatever the case may be.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.