Very Happy That I Found The So Group. Looks Great

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by John Houlihan, Sep 3, 2022.

1. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hello Seniors,

When I got my welcome mail from Ken Anderson, I enjoyed a good laugh reading the three rules of engagement for posting, especially the first rule which is “Try not to be overly annoying”. LOL

I am a retired electronics engineer and technical writer living in Sparks, NV. It’s high-desert country and I think it’s close to being perfect for retirement. I have also lived in Silicon Valley CA (now too crowded and expensive) and Corpus Christi TX (beautiful place with wonderful friendly people). Best of all, I had the opportunity to live in Ireland for 7 years. Fantastic experience for my five daughters. More about Ireland later when I post in the forum “Places I Have Lived”.

That’s it for now. Looking forward to chatting and getting to know you. In closing, here is a joke that I hope you will like: Question: Why did God create snakes before He created politicians? Answer: He needed the practice.

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm in Kennebunk ME Welcome

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I spent twelve years in Southern California (Buena Park, Cypress, Long Beach, Anaheim), and over twenty years in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, south of Corpus Christi (Brownsville, Los Fresnos, McAllen, Edcouch), but I am currently living in Maine - inland, with moose rather than lobsters. My only foreign travels have been to Canada and Mexico, however, except for a Caribbean cruise.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

6. John Houlihan

Registered

Hi Al,

I visited Kennebunkport ME many years ago. I think it had a lot of boating tours. In fact, I recall going on board one of the schooners just before it was leaving. I met a newly married couple on their honeymoon. They showed me their very small cabin with limited facilities and I thought "Oh my God, I hope this honeymoon works out for them." I liked New England a lot because it reminded me of Ireland.

Stay well.

7. John Houlihan

Registered

Hi Ken,
    I grew up in Redwood City, California in the 1930s. I graduated from a small Catholic high school called Serra, which is where the GOAT Tom Brady went. I enlisted in the U.S. Navy when the Korean war broke and got a chance to see the world, parts Europe and Asia. It's been a great ride since. Your Maine living sounds good to me. I really liked New England a lot. Almost moved there when I came back from Ireland.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Howdy from Houston, John.

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome from Florida John.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Except for the politics, I like Maine well enough. I grew up in the UP of Michigan and it's similar to what the UP was like when I was growing up there, and probably still is in places, although my own hometown has changed a lot.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. John Houlihan

Registered

Hi Marie,
    I spent a couple years at the Jacksonville Naval Air Station where my squadron was stationed back in the early 1950s. They were good years. Had a blonde girl friend. I use to make her laugh every Thursday by telling her joke on Tuesday. Take care. John. P.S. I like your posts,

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Hello, and welcome to the forum, @John Houlihan ! I am an Idaho transplant , now living in Alabama; but spent most of my life in the western part of the country.
    I had a brother-in-law who lived in Sparks many years ago, and when we went to visit him, I really enjoyed the visit, and it seemed like a beautiful area to live in.

13. John Houlihan

Registered

Hi Don,
    Last time I was in Alaska was on a cruise through the Inside Passage. Beautiful trip!

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Welcome from Virginia, John!

15. John Houlihan

Registered

Hi Yvonne,
    Yes, Sparks is super nice place to live after I moved here from California four years ago. Now I can get to wherever I'm driving in half the time as California, and my home rental was also cut in half. I don't how much longer Sparks will be the great place it is for me because Californians seem to be leaving for Texas and Nevada. It's called "The California Exodus". I think I know why they are leaving. Best regards, John. P.S. I really enjoyed two of your recent posts.

Yvonne Smith likes this.