Vintage Audio Equipment

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Tony Page, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sure someone would figure out how to contain the frequency response.
    When I was in high school I told my teacher that someday they will be recording video on tape he said never because the frequencies we're too high to be recorded, they got around that by increasing the speed of the tape head and the first video recorder was developed.

Faye Fox and Bruce Andrew like this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Exactly and easy to do with computer programs. In recent years I just listen at regular speed and come up with my own version. I usually cut several notes out of a run and extend time on the ones I can play. My hands started going bad when I was in my early fifties. Too much hard labor and all my hobbies, especially using hand tools to make acoustics, really took a toll on them. That all stopped 2016 and while my hands are better, I just don't have the interest these days to put in several hours a day to keep it all up.

It is easier to reminisce about old audio and guitars. A few months ago I rewired a guy's Telecaster Bill Kirchen style so he could get all the sound effects that Bill got on Hot Rod Lincoln and his other tunes. I also rewired his old Twin reverb amp's 6L6s in class B. I see a new set of German-made tubes is now $250.

Bruce Andrew and Tony Page like this.
  3. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My downfall was being a toolmaker all my life, throwing around 50-100 blocks of steel, tightening and loosening vises, mill chucks, etc.

What I still cannot grasp is that my osteoarthritis came on suddenly, literally overnight on my right hand, left a couple of weeks later. But 3 different doctors told me that yes, it can happen suddenly.

But at least it seems to have stabilized the past month or so, and my hands don't hurt if I'm not doing anything -- unlike in the beginning.

Although I had a Guild electric, I never got into amps too much (had two, sold one with my instruments in June) mostly played 5-string banjo and bluegrass/old country.

We had quite the bluegrass gang in the '80s into the '90s. Got together at least once a week, usually twice, held jam sessions at local bars, had pickin' parties, etc. But people died, got divorced and moved away, etc. so that was that.

Chet Atkins was my guitar hero. :) I still love watching him on You Tube.

Tony Page likes this.